What's new

recording game video?

dreamer

is it possible to record straight from an n64 emulator to, say, a .avi or .mpeg format? i noticed you can have this option on the VisualBoyAdvance emulator (which is cool), but so far i havent found it on an n64 emulator (besides nemu, but those video files are nemu specific and cant be edited/played on any other program).

Allnatural

You'll need a third-party program. Two I know of:

Camtasia, which is expensive

CamStudio, which is free

Take your pick. ;)

Tails380

Banned
yes yes i want to record my games to a movie too! that would be to cool. watch the demos of you playing and watch it with your freinds!

Elly

I believe FRAPs can do the job if you are using OpenGL, i havent tried it on an N64 emu yet, but you can give it a try if you wish :)

Yours,
-Elly

blight

If you are using linux I can send you a version of mupen64 which can do that... maybe it's also compileable for windows - if you want it for windows, let me know - maybe i can get something up

With mupen64 you record your gameplay into a file, then you can create a video from that recorded input, or play it back without putting the sound/video into an avi :)

OP
D

dreamer

thankyou all for replys :)
i wanted to test out pinnacle by editing some game .avi clips, i took a load after downloading CamStudio, which work great. the quality of recording n64 games at 200 fps slowed it down a bit, but still it worked great on the other systems. i found a problem while editing though, the avi files play fine on media player an camplayer, but there is a serious degradement when loading them into pinnacle (i have version 7) the picture is clear but slows down to about 1 or 2 frames per second :plain:

i have tried playing with the recording options but nothing seems to work. does anyone else use pinnacle or have an idea how i could get them to run smoothly?

i had previously tested the avi recording option in visual boy advance with a clip from mario kart, although the two minute clip i took was over 700 mbs :huh:
it still ran smoothly in pinnacle when editing, here are its advanced stats:

width: 240 pixels
height: 160 pixels

duration: 00:01:52
bitrate: 1411kbps
audio sample size: 16 bit
audio format: PCM

frame rate: 60 fps
video sample size: 24 bit
video compression: uncompressed

the above clip runs smoothly, the one below does not, i don't know why:

width: 320 pixels
height: 281 pixels

duration: 00:06:18
bitrate: 1411kbps
audio sample size: 16 bit
audio format: PCM

frame rate: 200 fps
data rate 1749kbps
video sample size: 16 bit
video compression: MS-CRAM

now i have reduced the framerate to 60, made the resolution smaller, with no result. sorry if this seems irrelevant information, but i just can't figure out why some avi files would run slow and some not.

i am using windows xp, is mupen64 compatible with that?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
dreamer said:
frame rate: 200 fps
data rate 1749kbps
video sample size: 16 bit
video compression: MS-CRAM
open the AVI in VirtualDub for editing, and use a fast codec when recording with whatever utility you are using, a great fast codec is Morgan Multimedia MJPEG, i use it when i cap from TV and it works fine, never drops a frame
if yer willing to go to the extreme, and have two pcs, one with a video out, one with a video in of same type, play the emu in fullscreen on one, and use something like iuVCR on the other to cap the video

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You know what? Have a tv-out gfx compitable card or get a tv-card. Enable tv-out and connect it to a video. Configure the video & enable tv-out. You should be able to see your screen on the tv. Hit record on your video & record your favorite game on a tape! :D that's always a funny way of doing it... ;) Show your friends!

blight

Human stupidity can be inifinite.... instead of putting it onto VCR or playing around with some stupid capturing programs it would be possible to just "play n64" on the emulator in real-time, and record the input you send to the emulator - then play this back as fast as the codec can compress it at a constant 25/30 FPS with resampled audio, optionally compressed to MP3, with 44.1 khz - all you have to do is "Start record..." play the scene you want then "stop record" then "start capture", choose codecs and quality and watch it beeing recorded....

well... good luck with your VCR
/me wanders off

OP
D

dreamer

<i>if yer willing to go to the extreme, and have two pcs, one with a video out, one with a video in of same type, play the emu in fullscreen on one, and use something like iuVCR on the other to cap the video</i>

lol - extreme! i may try a different codec, and thanx for replying everyone