What's new

Why won't Panzer Dragoon Zwei run in Giri Giri?

George

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is supposed to be one of the few games Giri Giri was designed for. I converted an disc juggler file with mp3s to BIN format (I'm not sure I got the mp3s, but it should still play the game without sound if I didn't get them, right?) and tried to play it, but it just acts like there is no disc. I then noticed that the European version has a different code, so I copied the Japanese version's games.dat entry but changed the code to the European one (I assume the games.dat info doesn't need to be different for different regions). The game still isn't recognized by Giri Giri. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've even tried running gentoc manually, as PD Saga didn't work with the Loader for some reason. Nothing has worked so far.

EDIT: I actually noticed it's an iso and not a disc juggler file, I was confused because Disc Juggler was my default iso opening program. What's the best way to convert an iso/mp3 to a bin/cue? I'm always worried that I'm not getting the mp3s included, and that could be what's screwing things up. A lot of the converter programs have size limits if you don't register, too.

Last edited:

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
Zwei contains no MP3s because the music is all in Saturn's compressed audio format. And the only way I've converted ISOs and BINs before was to load the original file in Daemon Tools and rip it as ISO (or BIN, depending on the situation) with the program of choice (usually Fireburner becuase it's the first I ever bothered to use).

OP
G

George

Still having problems

Actually PDZwei has 3 mp3s, which is one of the reasons it was difficult to convert. I changed them into WAVs and made a cue which, I THINK, allowed me to convert it to a BIN/CUE succesfully (I tried both converting with Giri Giri Loader's conversion stuff and putting it in Daemon's Tools and ripping).

PD Zwei still doesn't run though. When I try running one of the bins it brings me to a Japanese CD playing screen, and when I try running a "CD" (with the CD drive being Daemon's tools) I get an error message saying "failed read toc". Has anyone gotten Zwei to work in Giri Giri? It HAS to be possible, since Zwei is the main game Giri Giri is supposed to run. This is really wierd.

OP
G

George

I finally got it to work right by deleting the audio part of my Panzer Dragoon Zwei cue file. I'm not sure if this leaves out some of the music or not. I've listened to the music files and they're all variations of the main theme, the first two of which were less than a minute long and the third of which was a couple minutes . I didn't notice any silent moments when I thought there was supposed to be music while I was playing the game, though.

IceFlow2

When you say it's not not recognizesd what happens?
Are you getting a error message?

Can you access the BIOS without loading a game?

What Operating System are you using?
Are you using any kind of compatability mode?

Can I try your .toc file?

Did you add anything to the games.dat?

Last edited:

IceFlow2

I finally managed to get the BIOS working but Panzer Dragoon Zwei will not get past the BIOS.

I tried deleting the music from the .bin & .cue files but still the same thing.

I have never used a Saturn Before what am I supposed to press in the BIOS to make the game start anyway?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
IceFlow2 said:
I finally managed to get the BIOS working but Panzer Dragoon Zwei will not get past the BIOS.

I tried deleting the music from the .bin & .cue files but still the same thing.

I have never used a Saturn Before what am I supposed to press in the BIOS to make the game start anyway?
I knew that such a thing would happen... read my previous post again and make sure that you've done everything right.

PS: You may have to change region to get it work.

Last edited:

IceFlow2

PsyMan said:
I knew that such a thing would happen... read my previous post again and make sure that you've done everything right.

PS: You may have to change region to get it work.

I did exactly as you said.

The message I'm getting now is "disk unsuitable for this system"
I have tried making a toc.bin file manually but it's not working.

I am using the run box with the game.cue name at the end.

IceFlow2

PsyMan said:
Have you changed between all regions?
yep, i quickly went through em then.
same error message "disk unsuitable"

I know for a fact that its PAL and I have only tried the UK BIOS.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Can you post a screenshot showing the contents of base.ini, your game's xxx.cue xxx.bin and giritool's configuration?

IceFlow2

I just noticed something.
there is a version number in the bottom right hand corner inside the emu.

I have the UK 1.0 bios.
It says NTSC 1.01a

emu1.gif

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You have to press this button to generate a toc.bin after you choose your game and then press the button with the saturn logo.

EDIT: If it still doesn't work re-create the image of the game BUT save it directly in the directory where giri-giri is placed. (when I say directly I mean when you choose where to save it before CDRwin rips it). Then start giritool and do what I told you. This will probably work if anything else won't

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Open the command prompt and by there go to the directory where giri-giri is placed (change directories until you go there). From there type: "gentoc.exe panzer.cue". After that the toc.bin should be created. :)
PS: After doing this run GLAUNCH.EXE (not giritool.exe)

EDIT: Just type: "d:" to change partition.

Last edited:

IceFlow2

I can't seem to get to my D:\ Partition using cmd prompt.
It starts me off in C:\Documents and Settings and wont let me change directory to d:\

It was working defore I don't understand this.
before I could type: D:\Emulation\saturn\girigirirf-gav\gentoc.exe panzer.cue in the run box and it would generate a toc.bin in the giri dir.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Give me your panzer.cue file to see what is wrong (compress it and then upload it).

IceFlow2

PsyMan said:
Give me your panzer.cue file to see what is wrong (compress it and then upload it).
Stupid me worked out how to change drive letters in cmd prompt.
all it is is d: I was doing CD D:\