What's new

Help with the music

jbguy2k

That guy with the hair
hey people, in a program i found, it lets you extract music from a game (gamecube game), and i wanna know if there's a program that just lets you play the music without having to go into the game. i just wanna know, and if this is considered illegal activity, go ahead and ban me, but just asking.

Vegetable

Banned
Well, seeing as the emulator extracts textures, it doesnt really seem illegal. Have you tried renaming those files to something windows media player would use? And do you have a link to it?

V-GEReBirth

Hello, first time here, and would like to see if i can help.
Since i kinda like the music from Ikaruga i tried to get them in a format media players could read.
I managed to get a program called GC-Tool 1.20 beta to extract content from the backup ISO's. Having extracted the media i wanted (the music) i used a program called Cube2wav 1.0 converting .adp (music GameCube files i think) to .wav. From there you have a usable format, to use other software to convert to mp3,ogg,...

Just search for these programs, or i could post some links, if the moderators agree.

OP
J

jbguy2k

That guy with the hair
DUDE!! that would be grat if you put some links here for the Cube2Wav, i've already got the GC-tool program.

V-GEReBirth

Well, here is the link:
http://www.64scener.com/tools.htm

Scroll a bit down and you will find some gamecube utilities. Cube2Wave is somewhere in there.

P.S - If any Mod find this not according to the rules, i apologize, but i couldn't find anything in the rules, refering to this.

Cheers.

MrRatt

I tried using this to extract the music from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles but the files in the SOUND\MUSIC dir are .bgm format (and max of 36k!).

There is also a SOUND\STREAM dir with .str files ranging from 600k to 13mb and a SOUND\WAVE dir with .wd files up to 4mb.

Anyone know how to extract the music into a usable format, or possibly convert some of the FMVs (intro especially)?

OP
J

jbguy2k

That guy with the hair
yeah, that's true. There's a lot of different media types, and i really wanted some other music from some other games (SC2), but it was very different.

MrRatt

No offense, but I find OSTs rather funny. If you think about it, you paid for the music once when you bought the game. Should you have to pay for it again to play it in other devices? I don't think you should, but I honestly don't know how legal it is to remove the music and put it on an audio cd yourself...

tonyrayo

I Love Sushi!
You could argue the same thing about hearing music in a movie though, but the simple fact is most companies want to make money any way they can. Plus if you njoi the music, having a copy of it all on audio cd is handy.

MrRatt

Movies are a bit different, as the audio you here is in the background, usually with people talking or whatever in the foreground. Since it's one audio source, you cannot get JUST the song. However, you CAN do it in a video game because the sound effects and the music are all in different files on the disc.

As for people wanting to make money any way they can, people like me look to SAVE money any way I can... short of theft of course.

ZDragon

It shouldn't be illegal to cut out the sound of a game... in fact, games like UT 2k3 have it in nice, handy ogg format and they even explain how to get the sound effects out of the archive files.

What I don't like at all is if the companies prevent you from getting the music, AND there is no OST. That's especially been the case in Rayman 2 and Beyond Good & Evil... I liked the Soundtrack very much, but you simply can't get it out.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
ZDragon said:
That's especially been the case in Rayman 2 and Beyond Good & Evil... I liked the Soundtrack very much, but you simply can't get it out.

Yup... the Rayman 2 soundtrack was absoloutely awesome! Same with the new Prince of Persia (the Sands of Time)... Mind you, those are all UBisoft games.

ZDragon

Yea I know. They simply make the very best soundtracks... but never release even one of them, raaargh!

MrRatt

Well, it has to be possible to get the audio out. The PC/PS2/GC... whatever system the game is for, they can do it. We just need to figure out how... Which can be the hard part. :(