What's new

Dolphin on Xbox

Fgoaty, i've been backed up on this with more sense than you can positivley rebuke. Your argument is essentially "some editorial dude says so, so it must be true". Try looking at the evidence for yourself and making your own decisions, then decide who is childish and resorting to insults.

ZDragon

And Far Cry does look *really* good. I do not want to talk any badly about D3 or HL², but it's engine is a great rival to both others.

About the Zelda video: LOL.

piccolo17486

this video is the badest fake i ever seenn (ok ekaf, the ps2 emu was also great)
hehe they guy has uses still the gamecube controller for playing (yes i know there are adapters)

blight

*lol* I didnt read the thread, just had to reply....
What do you think your xbox is??? It is weak, a kinda P3 733 - 3 years old

BFeely

And you think you can just pop one of those GC discs into your XBox and expect it to read it? Those aren't DVDs you know.

Villela

ze of coins said:
It's possible?
Not to now, but in a near future :p ?
I don't know if at this time is possible or if it will be

But there is a chance: xbox+linux+winex+dolphin

I don't have winex and xbox, i can't say if this will work, but if at this time i believe it doesn't, but at the future maybe works

Anyway comercial games can never work for ram issues

Elly

Ok,..point number 1:
To port Dolphin , you ll need its source ( and i dont believe ector or FIRES are interested in that right now). Assuming you got Dolphin to go open source, you ll need to use MS illegal SDK to port it on the Xbox,...in other words , it becomes READ: ILLEGAL

Point 2 :

For those who are argueing that HLE can do the trick, you have to take in mind that the whole Dolphin core should be re-written for HLE, in other words, a pain in the neck over a low compatible emulator

Point 3 :

Yet again, ASSUMING, that you can come up with an optimised HLE emulator ( not like HLE doesnt use optimisations ;p), it might not run full speed on a 700 Mhz processor.

Point 4 :

AND ASSUMING, you are able to port it using a legal SDK ( ha!) and applied HLE, you ll need suffient ram for the emulator and the rom ( in this case, gcm isos as big as 1.4 Gb )...and you are going to do that all in ,.hmmm, 64 Mb of ram?

My opinion? not worth it. Even Project64 couldnt run full speed on the Xbox, and now you want to port Dolphin? get a life , will ya? ;P

Yours,
-Elly

Last edited:

Alchy

Elly said:
AND ASSUMING, you are able to port it using a legal SDK ( ha!) and applied HLE, you ll need suffient ram for the emulator and the rom ( in this case, gcm isos as big as 1.4 Gb )...and you are going to do that all in ,.hmmm, 64 Mb of ram?
Not quite. As the gamecube uses discs not cartridges, the games don't need to be mapped into memory. The data access rate would be sufficiently low to load games off the Xbox hdd.

Which is incidental, because the practicality of emulating a 485 PPC on a 733Mhz x86 is extremely low. Optimised bus bandwidth will not account for the strain of emulating an entirely different cpu architecture.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Fgoaty said:
halo looks like zelda the wind waker compared to steel battalion or halo 2.
OH NO YOU DIDN'T, just because you dislike cell-shading doesn't mean you can go about dissing zelda, and because it uses cel-shading you CANNOT compare it to a CG based game like steel batallion or halo2, second, halo is actually a great game even though its old

crimson Fury said:
http://www.8cupcakes.com/Zelda.wmv

a modded xbox emulating windwaker, the gcn disc is put in indent in the xbox trey and a normal xbox disc is put on top of it, the xbox starts up normaly and emulates windwaker.
that has got to be the funniest thing i have ever seen, especially the fact that they had GIR as the boot-up screen (gosh i miss invader zim)

piccolo17486 said:
Xbox = Celeron 733, 64 MB RAM, Geforce 3 MX (not the best card anymore)
its actually a geforce 2 MX with an increased amount of pipelines, which just makes the xbox look worse :)

Conclusion: Zelda rules, GCN has not been emulated on XBox, and if they really did that with a disc BOTH would get horribly scraped up (i kinda put 2 discs in my CDROM on accident once and heard a horribly clashing noise, to find both peeling up), who gives a shit about windows running in memory bla bla, Xbox has less memory to start with, this is a childish argument, and linking to the same dork over and over isn't helping you, i could make a website and link to it, what so just because its a link that means its true? a crippled PIII 733 running on crippled Win2k can't run a GCN emu now, PERIOD, stop arguing, its getting you NOWHERE

EDIT: Will a moderator please lock this thread? Its pathetic

Alchy

sheik124 said:
its actually a geforce 2 MX with an increased amount of pipelines, which just makes the xbox look worse :)
No it isn't. It has a pixel shader and a vertex shader, so it's Geforce 3 level at least. If you're going to criticise other people's technical analysis you need to at least get your own right :satisfied

bohdy

The NV2A has two vertex shaders and a pixel shader plus a few other architectural improvements. Its between a GF3 and a GF4 in power but *possibly* more advanced than either. A lot about its extra functions is unrevealed.

Thats the extent of my knowledge about it anyway. It would be able to run most of the graphical side of Dolwin, but that is hardly where the bottleneck is.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
it may be geforce3 level but it is a GeForce2 CHIP deep down inside, with added features that are not availible in any GeForce2
while digging around to find out the true GFX Specs, i found this

XGPU to MCPX bus:
AMD HyperTransport
8 bits wide
400 MHz (800 MHz effective)
800 megabytes per second bandwidth

the same technology we see in todays AMD64 motherboards is actually in this Intel/Microsoft/nVidia behemoth, thats odd

bohdy

Its not a GF2 by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know where you got that from.

And the Motherboard thing is not so odd considering the Xbox mobo was a prototype N-force (2?) for Nvidia.