What's new

N64 Emulation 'nOObie' FAQ Guide

L

Lachp30

Recently, I have noticed the boards cluttered with absolute nOObie questions which can be found easly in places such as the emulatos help, FAQ and from other similar posts. Thats why I have compiled this small FAQ/Q&A for newbies to n64 emulation to browse, and hopefully answer their question.

What is an emulator?

An emulator, in very basic terms, is a program that can emulate ROM images. It basically enables one to play a treasured N64 game on their PC.

Where can I get ROMS?

The location of ROMS is not (under any circumstances) given out on this forum, due to legal matters. You will need to locate them yourself.

I have a ROM and an emulator, however, the game wont run. Why?

Does your computer meet the minimum system requirements for n64 emulation?
Check the emulators help section to see what it requires. Most 64 emu's need the following requirements as their minimum.

P3, 600MHZ
128MB RAM. 256MB or better is ideal
NVidia GeForce 2 Series or newer
Microsoft WindowsXP

Which emulator should I choose?

N64 emu's are at all different stages of develoment, but Nemu64, Project 64 and 1964 are faviourites for some people. Plus, Project 64 has a game FAQ.

Game 'x' doesn't work when I use Project64, or I get an error, Please help!

I can't stress this enough. Read the Project64 game FAQ for errors in games. It also tells you which games are compatible, and which are not.

Where can I find out what type of graphics card I have?

Right click on your desktop, go to properties, then settings, then it is written under, Display

Where can I get the latest DIRECTX?

www.microsoft.com - shudder,shudder

Where can I go for all my emulator download needs?

www.Emulation64.com

Are emulators free?

Yes, however, for further development on these great pieces of software, there are places on the homepage of certain emulators in which you can donate via PayPal.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

It's good that you're trying to come up with additional stuff that should be added to the Newbie thread that's stickied above. The thing is that so many newbies are too lazy to read the manual or the stickies and just post silly questions that could be answered by reading these things.

OP
L

Lachp30

jollyrancher said:
It's good that you're trying to come up with additional stuff that should be added to the Newbie thread that's stickied above. The thing is that so many newbies are too lazy to read the manual or the stickies and just post silly questions that could be answered by reading these things.

When I comes to project64, all my problems are solved with the Game FAQ. More noobs should look at that.

Allnatural

Well intentioned, but wasted I think. The newcomers don't read the docs included in the download, why would they be bothered to read a FAQ, thread, FAQ thread, or any other helpful bit of info. Besides, most of those points are answered elsewhere.

I could see some use in a "which emulator should I use...?" thread though. I'm absolutely tired of said question.

OP
L

Lachp30

Allnatural said:
Well intentioned, but wasted I think. The newcomers don't read the docs included in the download, why would they be bothered to read a FAQ, thread, FAQ thread, or any other helpful bit of info. Besides, most of those points are answered elsewhere.

I could see some use in a "which emulator should I use...?" thread though. I'm absolutely tired of said question.

Yes, but I intend, when I get a spare momment, to make a link to this thread under my signiture to encourage newbies to read. I will also add to it as time goes on.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Yes, but I intend, when I get a spare momment, to make a link to this thread under my signiture to encourage newbies to read. I will also add to it as time goes on.

This is a good thing you are trying to do, but that doesn't mean that noob's are gonna read it. Like Jollyrancher and Allnatural said, most noob's won't read it. It's just a known fact. Just to let you know, I'm not criticizing you for this, because it was a good intention, I'm just laying down the facts.