What's new

Crashing an an s3 savage 2000!!! (nice gfx tho :))

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
hey! i just had to re-register because ive been gone so long :( but my old username was Morpheus, just so ya know.. well, any game i play in pj 1.4 (1.3 also) i get to watch the intros but as im about to play, the emu locks up (not the computer, the emu) i know its a prob with jabos plugin because it doesnt crash when using 1964 ogl plugin.. i just cant play many games on it heh heh anyone else had this problem with an s3 savage family card??PLEASE HELP ME I WANNA SEE PJ RUN WITH GOOD GFX!!! (i used to have a voodoo3 3000!):pj64:

- thanks
cooliscoo :alien:

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
i just read smiff's faq something about agp tweak fixing hanging but where can i get it??

Zeo

Well I had a S3 Savage 4 card, and I used an utility called S3 Tweek. I think it can help you. :cool: :pj64:

linker

Emutalk Member
I had a friend with the same problem. He has WinXP and Win98. On win98 his savge4 crashes, on winxp, not. The problem could be solved with this program anywayz (s3tweak or something like that).

linker

Emutalk Member
Ok, almost forgot, in this program you have to choose the Textures Options select "AutoAGP".

Zeo

Yes, Linker is right

You need to put in that setting (Textures/AutoAGP).

BTW, What do you think this can be? I mean, It crashes in Win98, but it doesn't in WinXP, driver issue???? Well I'm jus wondering...

linker

Emutalk Member
Re: Yes, Linker is right

Zeo said:
You need to put in that setting (Textures/AutoAGP).

BTW, What do you think this can be? I mean, It crashes in Win98, but it doesn't in WinXP, driver issue???? Well I'm jus wondering...

It is driver and OS issue. No more comments.

Greevy

Resident Emusician
Well...

I've got an S3 Savage here too.. gathering dust since months.

I had that lockup problem too, and there's only one thing you can do: get a new video card.

I tried everything and it's impossible to get a computer working properly with a Savage.

But, if you still want to keep the card or you have no money (hey, Kyro video card for $79 or less!) then, here are some things you can do.
(You will still have lockups but not as much as before).

If you own a VIA based motherboard, get the latest 4-in-1's available at VIA Hardware (There's a big "4-in-1 Download!" button in the top-right corner).

There are user-costumized drivers available for Savage video cards available everywhere on the net.
Don't have the sites adresses anymore though, so you might want to try Google.
User-costumized drivers aren't always good but some of them might fix incompabilities with some games.

Also, don't forget that emulators are CPU intensive.
Make sure that your system isn't overclocked and that good cooling is available for most of the hardware.

That's all !

Good luck,
Greevy.

OO_Dabba_Deh

A pro...

Hey, this comes from a long time S3 user. I had an S3 savage4 8mb card. I had WinXP for a while, NOTHING crashed. I hated Xp (Because it sucks for almost everything other than n64 emu and video editing) and put 98se on. And then, the crashes began...I took the advice,and got s3tweek. AutoAGP was on...nothing changed. I screwed around with the tweeking utility, trying everything OTHER than overclocking, and there was no change. So obviously, it's Win98 that is at fault. The tweek utility doesn't do anything for me...(Not the 8mb one, anyway) mind you, I was on a P3 450. Even with the same crap processor/board, I was able to play when I got my geforce2mx400, so my advice: Get an MX400. They're only about $105 canadian, 70 american, and they are great. Or, you could just wait for the new NEMU.