What's new

Final Fantasy XII

Cid

To me it seems dull - dull characters (none looked to be really anything), dull clothes (too much like todays), dull battle system (annoying strings, controlling party via AI? Choosing magic or attack via menues in REAL TIME?!), etc.

I agree that in this game the characters are not really interesting (not much interaction between them). The battle system remind of Star Wars: KOTOR only with more menus. There is a "wait mode" which pause the action so you can chose any commands so it is doesn't have be real time. The story (after 30 hours of gameplay) so far doesn't seem that interesting in my opinion.

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Theres only so-much originality that can be produced in any particular genre. At this point, unless a company is willing to risk huge dollars, people seem to be content with recreating and refining whats already been done.

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Don't make it sound complicated. It is not that hard. What is going on is what is that they don't concern themselves enough with character development and etc because it would slow them down even if it would probably be worth it. Also competition is another thought going on with Squarenix's minds. With new game companies getting into the RPG business they are starting to get antsy about releasing more games.

Alot of this could be the reason. Cost is not the dominating factor.

-Darkfox

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I agree that in this game the characters are not really interesting (not much interaction between them). The battle system remind of Star Wars: KOTOR only with more menus. There is a "wait mode" which pause the action so you can chose any commands so it is doesn't have be real time. The story (after 30 hours of gameplay) so far doesn't seem that interesting in my opinion.

KotoR's system just doesn't fit into a FF game. And the whole pause, choose your commands and unpause is at best a little stupid if you ask me. I like the whole to do it all in real time or in true RPG sense: turn-based battles.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Doom, you don't have to have it pause, choose Active mode in settings and you can pick things while the action is still going on. You don't have to control the characters with A.I. either - turn off the Gambits and control everything they do to the smallest detail if you wish.

The Battles are Turn-Based, just because you pick an action in a menu doesn't mean its not turn based - If I choose Attack, it doesn't attack immediately... the Little Timer we're all used to on FF games still happens. Atttack......... *attacks* - Trust me battles are still very much turn based, do not assume they are not.

Let me put it this way, there is nothing I can say that does justice to this game - It's very good you have to play it for yourself to see that.

Doomulation

Hmm well, I only assume what I see in the trailer. But they never really do a game justice. I'll take your word for it and hopefully see it for myself one day.
I still retain the opinions of the characters, however.

Cyberman

1) Oh my... someone necroed this thread big time (We need a grave digger award). I was talking with someone about FFXII about ..5 years ago (Yes 2001). They had art for certain parts back then. So it's been a long time in developement.

2) I'll have to wait and see, DOC was mediocre at best FF XI... I don't consider part of the FF series :) FFXII has had good reviews and is much more solid than anything Squenix has released past FFX (FFX was good but had some missing parts like it was short). I've been reading up on FFXII for the last several years I'll take an unbiased position and say 'It might be good'

3) Mutter, thread necroing is becoming a problem (geesh would have been nice for them to read the age of it).

Cyb

Cid

I wouldn't trust reviews until you actually play the game yourself. For example, I don't get how the god awful Vagrant Story get good reviews. I guess Square paid people off. BTW I think the people involve with Vagrant Story are involve in this game as well, which is not a good thing.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What are you tallking about? vagrant Story is excellent, although difficult.

I tend to trust the reviews that Famitsu puts out, and they certainly don't give full scores to a game without a good cause. Either way, I'm not fan of realtime or semi-realtime battle systems (I prefer turn-based), but who knows, it just might work to FFXII's favor.

Still, five months to go. I'll se for myself in March.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
For example, I don't get how the god awful Vagrant Story get good reviews. I guess Square paid people off.
Welcome to the world of opinion. Enjoy your stay. What you hate someone else loves.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I wouldn't trust reviews until you actually play the game yourself. For example, I don't get how the god awful Vagrant Story get good reviews. I guess Square paid people off. BTW I think the people involve with Vagrant Story are involve in this game as well, which is not a good thing.
Vagrant Story was not an easy game in fact it was quite difficult, FFXII will not be either. However once you got started playing VS was a LOT of fun. Quite challenging and the story was rather good. I would like a sequel too it, as they left it wide open for a sequel. However that's not likely.

Also if you finished the story once, you should have replayed it. The reason why is that you would have missed 20% of the game. There are several areas you cannot explore until you have finished the game. Which reminds me, I should actually explore those. :) Maybe I'll find some missing parts of the story hmmm. :D

VS had some draw backs, but it was fun all in all. It just sucked up the time a lot :D

Cyb

Cid

I don't know about you guys, I just can't stand the idea of doing 5 or less damage and having to chain your attack to kill an enemy in VS. But that just my opinion.

As for final fantasy XII, you're right. It is easy most of the time and slightly difficult when you face boss.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You don't need a modded console - things like Action Replay and others can make your ps2 region free without much bother, and my TV isn't exactly an amazing piece of technology but FFXII looks fine on it - A PAL 60 tv is good enough. Get your facts straight before correcting me on something;

Doomulation

I have yet to see Action Replay for PS2 that can play import games. Especially the non-slim versions reset when you press the eject button. You need something like Swap Magic to make it work...
A PAL60 TV is enough if you have a European console, but if it's an American console, your TV needs to support NTSC to get color. If it doesn't support 60 Hz, then you're in for a pretty big trouble.

Cyberman

I have FFXII

Some parts of anoying, but so far it's fun. I should be doing more of the "Arc the Lad 2 Style mark hunting", but I haven't (smirk). In any case I have enjoyed a lot of it stopped though for a week because it sucked up too much time.

Erstwhile I'm replaying FFVIII to get more Save state information and because I liked it. Also sometime in the future it may be ... easier too play. :D

Cyb

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I have yet to see Action Replay for PS2 that can play import games. Especially the non-slim versions reset when you press the eject button. You need something like Swap Magic to make it work...
A PAL60 TV is enough if you have a European console, but if it's an American console, your TV needs to support NTSC to get color. If it doesn't support 60 Hz, then you're in for a pretty big trouble.
Who in their right mind in europe uses an american console? NTSC is inferior to PAL by far :p - oh well never mind, well Swap Magic is inexpensive, easy to install and lets you play Imports and is arguably better than waiting six months for the game to come out. Most British televisions can play NTSC content quite fine I believe, actually.

Doomulation

Who in their right mind in europe uses an american console?
I do.
I don't need to use swap discs and it is by far cheaper to import the damned console than to buy it locally plus usually no wait for it to come out.

Most British televisions can play NTSC content quite fine I believe, actually.
I would say it depends. Most TVs in a certain range of price supports NTSC as well as PAL usually, but there are some screens that does not support NTSC. Hey, I've seen a TV that can't handle 60 Hz at all. Connecting the *cough* American *cough* gamecube and trying to play resulted in disaster.