What's new

How to use Rice's video plugin and to report problems

Rice

Emulator Developer
To report problems with Rice's

For Radeon users, make sure that Software T&L is turned on.

For DirectX, you should use "High End" combiner, may also try to use stage limited combiners

For OpenGL, you should use OGL 1.4, and also try OGL 1.2/1.3.

ASAIK, DirectX is working better than OGL for Radeon.

Please report other problems here, such as:

- system lockup.
- full screen mode problems: slowing down, .....
- Initialization error.
- others

A few things you should know before you want to report problems:
----------------------------------------------------------------
- Don't try to use Frame buffer features if you don't understand how it works and don't understand which option to use for a N64 game. DirectX frame buffer feature is added very late, not tested extensively. It works as it, for some N64 games, and won't work (or lock you PC up) for some other N64 games.
- Combiner problems are normal. Different video cards have different number of combining stages and combiner setting. Your video card may be not one of the best supported by this plugin.
Here is what you can do:
* Try to use different combiners
* Try OpenGL and DirectX
* DirectX is working better for most video cards
* The default setting should work fine (fairly good) for most video cards
* You may need to try different combiners for different games
* High end combiner should be the best choice for most recent video cards
- Conker is not fully supported
- Problems with DKR, Yoshi are known
- Frame buffer is supported in DirectX only, not under OpenGL.
- If you don't understand the options, don't want to change them

- Color buffer is different from depth buffer. Don't mix them.
- Color depth is not configurable in the plugin. You need to change it by selecting your window desktop color to 32bit true color
- You should always use 32bit color for your desktop. Frame buffer feature is supporting 32bit only for this moment
- 16bit depth buffer should work for everyone. Don't need to change it to 32bit depth buffer. Depth buffer setting is not very important, you can use anyone as far as it works for you.

Btw,
* this plugin works very good with geforce2 and TNT video card by using the TNT combiner
* Nvidia latest driver does not support TNT combiner for geforce2 video cards any more. The latest driver version that supported it is 41.19. If you have geforce2 MX or older video cards and want to use TNT combiner (which will give you the best results), you may want to degrade your video card driver.
* You may want to use the limited stage combiners if the default setting would work good enough for you.

* At last, there are plenty of other video plugins for you to try. Jabo's, Glide64 and N64GL, etc, are all very very good for many many games. You should be always able to get the best graphics with one of the available video plugins.

Rice

Last edited:

neoak

Triforce of Something...
I can't get it to work in my card. Simply, if i load it default with the settings you said, BUT WITH FRAMEBUFFER SET TO "WITH EMULATOR", the game start but then the emu locks, and i can't stop the emulation without closing 1964.

If i change the Depth Buffer to 32 bits, It says "Can not initialize DX8, Check your DirectX Settings".

Simply, the plugin doesn't want to work with my card. I expected this, because 5.1.0 never worked with this Radeon, i don't know why.

Now, if i put the no framebuffer, as i ut down,the games work, to some extent, because Bomberman 64 crashed the emu.

Conker worked, but with the deffects you can see in the shots. I think the images speak for themselves. Oh, and i'm using the Omega Drivers based on Catalyst 3.10.

The settings used and the Screenshots are as atachments.

PD: If you gotta know, the backgroud is simply an image with Chii, that pattern, and Chobits written in English and Japanese :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
neoak said:
More screenshots.

Its not just radeon cards, my geforce fx 5200 looks a lot like the screenshot shown and conkers is all green.

with all star baseball 2001 i got it working with the open gl setting but it freezes after a minute or so. usually when the camera view is about to switch. but it looks beautiful when it is working. with beetle adventure racing there are various errors and ive tried all the settings i could think of. the background for the most part looks good though especially the trees. errors in sky and water and bridges. I did get castevania looking good though with your plugin. anyways hope i didnt just waste your time. oh yeah and i have the newest drivers for my card.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
The first post is updated, please read it again before reporting your problem.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I have found that the forceware 52.16 whql works the best with an fx5200, so you might want to try those drivers if you have that gfx card. I still get problems with oot and perfect dark, but it clears up problems in goldeneye and some other games.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
And try to use 4-stage limited combiner instead of high-end combiner, because there are only 4 combiner stages in fx5200, and the driver reports to have 8 stages.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Playing mario tennis windowed with DirectX set to higher end cards, Software T&L enabled, i get 30 fps, windowed i get less then that, 25 playing, replays at 5 or 6 and hideously skipping.

Dr. Mario, is indeed playable, but, this is what i get with the following settings:

Software T&L Enabled, Direct X, Higher End Cards, Frambuffer Frame update to Default, n64 frame buffer set to with emulator, the pills fall and viruses visible, but the background is hideous. As seen here:

http://67.165.104.24/images/DR.MARIO 64-0.jpg

(my screenshot, but upload isnt working for me)

Mario Kart 64 also works rather well with no frame buffer emulation, and the screen at the royal raceway works perfectly with complete framebuffer enabled, but the speed drop s to 30 fps.

(incase you havent noticed, im testing out frame buffer emulation, thankfully however, with the above settings i can at least see what i'm doing now. Brilliant work Rice.)

Recommended settings: Speedometer broken in Automobili Lamborghini

Recommended Settings: All Star Baseball 2001, no field detail, off green field, white stands, white bat, otherwise very playable.

Recommended Settings: F-Zero X, flickering City scape

Recommended Settings: Gauntlet Legends, no bottom bar, slight graphical flickering, no sound?

Recommended Settings: Goldeneye, hollow pistol graphics, long black screens before menu and levels

Recommended Settings: Bettle Adventure Racing, Car graphics half blocked by road, (Like the car is sitting half underground) sky errors, (i dont know if that was supposed to be fixed or not) and lack of road.

Recommended Settings: Perfect Dark: Bad textures on 3d letters, (multiple shades of supposed color, example, the RARE logo is golden, but several different sahdes shown in blocks. Bad textures.

Recommended Settings: Pilot Wings 64, ground and sky errors, texture repeat themselves.

Last edited:

Clements

Many games work a lot better with 5.2.0 than 5.1.0d for me, but Ocarina of Time seems to not like any configuration I try. Here is a shot of the pause menu screen using Direct X with S/W T&L and everything else left at the defaults.

If I turn off S/W T&L the whole game is broken completely (this is odd because I don't need to use this setting in most other games I've tried). OpenGL also looks much worse with many artifacts everywhere, so I can't use that. Could be a Forceware-only problem, I don't know. I've tried both 52.16 WHQL and 53.03 WHQL and both give the exact same result.

In-game is quite good, although the Jpeg background in the market flickers with a large polygon thing obstucting the screen as I move round the market (I'm using PJ64's RSP.dll BTW) and the 'N' cube and 'Nintendo' in the intro are completely the wrong colours.

jollyrancher

Recommended Settings: All Star Baseball 2001, no field detail, off green field, white stands, white bat, otherwise very playable.

Haven't tried it yet with new 1964 and video plugin, but the graphics are close to 100% perfect with Rice's 5.1d on a gf3.

yyyc186

NFL Blitz/NBA Hangtime

Using a Geforce 3 I can use the "middle card" combiner sucessfully but not the geforce combiner.

1. When using the Geforce combiner on NFL blitz I get the first picture attached.
2. The ground in NFL Blitz goes from green to grey (second picture)
3. Likewise on it draws the court and then overwrites it weird in NBA Hangtime 99 and 2001 (see the third picture attached).

Any ideas?
Thanks for all your effort!

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I figured they be ok on a geforce, and i have a geforce 4 mx i could pop in if i was really worried about it right this second, but, I don't see the point in continually swapping out cards for PC and N64 emulation, because my geforce wont play prince of persia and NFS:U looks like shite on it, im just testing radeon settings on games in a feeble attempt to help out Rice with his plugin dev.

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
Geforce 3 is not meant to use TNT combiner. You might be able to give the TNT combiner a try if you degrade your driver to below 41.19.

Geforce FX 5200, 5600, 5700 should use 4-stage limited combiner instead of high-end combiner because they only have 4-stages instead of reported 8 stages.

I am not very sure about Ti4200/4400/4600, and geforce 3. They all have 2x4 texture units. If high-end combiner does not work very well, then please use the 4-stage combiners.

Try to use 2-stage combiner (I know it is very bad) for Geforce 4 MX440/460. I am not sure if 4-stage combiner works for them.

For geforce 2 MX, if you don't want to degrade your driver to 41.19, then you have to use 2-stage combiner. Or just use other plugins instead of mine.

yyyc186

more geforce 3 observations

in nfl blitz and nba i the floor issues go away if I use the opengl version of the plugin instead of the directx version (except for NBA the characters get 1/2 drawn cf. the floor)

The same is true in 1080 - opengl works fine, directx has large shards of colour in the snowboard selector screen and white lines around the boarder.

Rice - just to be 100% sure, what is your combiner recommendation for a geforce3?

yyyc186

to be clearer

just re-read your note. I tried:

All of:
1. The limited 4 stage
2. The middle
3. The high-end result

And all result in weird floor effects on geforce 3 in the various games mentioned (add madden to the list).

latest directx, latest nvidia (from their web site), amd 1800.

on the other hand swap to opengl and they look better (proper floors)

If you want me to test something/send a log etc. just yell

OP
Rice

Rice

Emulator Developer
No, I am not sure which combiner to use for geforce3, because I don't have one.

OpenGL combiners (Nvidia, TNT, and Ogl 1.4) should works better because they support multiple textures in each stages.

That's all I can tell. Good luck to everyone.

I have tried to do my best, I am not god, I have not feeling what kind of graphics you have got on your video cards. Please don't report such combiner related problems, because I cannot solve them by using my video card. Go ahead to use other video plugins. And pray for new version of other plugins make games looking better on your video cards.