What's new

i have a good question

bananas

wich is the best dreamcast emulator? wich can run some comercial games, and wich ones are they? thankuverymuch. :)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Why? It's being held back for two reasons:

1) It's really slow. Really, really slow. I've seen '1.5FPS' shown on some screens. Think that's playable? The dynamic recompiler core should help with speed, but it's not finished yet.

2) Normal GD-ROMs can't be played on a PC and very few people have the equipment needed to extract the data off them. Most people would use illegal copies floating around the internet. Since the Dreamcast is still getting some new games (or so I hear) it may not be too wise to release an emulator yet. That would make it like UltraHLE. Except slower.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'm not saying it isn't real, but Cygnus64 has been very busy lately and dev has slowed to a crawl.

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
Lillymon said:
Why? It's being held back for two reasons:

1) It's really slow. Really, really slow. I've seen '1.5FPS' shown on some screens. Think that's playable? The dynamic recompiler core should help with speed, but it's not finished yet.

2) Normal GD-ROMs can't be played on a PC and very few people have the equipment needed to extract the data off them. Most people would use illegal copies floating around the internet. Since the Dreamcast is still getting some new games (or so I hear) it may not be too wise to release an emulator yet. That would make it like UltraHLE. Except slower.

i agree with u,except by illegal copies since psx is still getting games(until some time ago i saw one be released) and illegal copies of psx isos flow in the net,like the water in the ocean,or in sites or in apps like kazaa,shareaza,bit torrent or emule this argument has not much sense.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Felipe said:
i agree with u,except by illegal copies since psx is still getting games(until some time ago i saw one be released) and illegal copies of psx isos flow in the net,like the water in the ocean,or in sites or in apps like kazaa,shareaza,bit torrent or emule this argument has not much sense.

Point taken, but here's a counter point. I can put all of my PlayStation CDs into my PC's DVD-ROM drive an play them right off the CD. All legal and everything, the games are legitimate and I can use it to play my legitimate games in case my PlayStation/PlayStation 2 breaks or if I'm away from them. So Sony can't really dispute it since I have rights to do this.

The Dreamcast isn't the same as you can't play GD-ROMs in a PC's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. It just doesn't work and probably never will. You either have to use some special hardware to dump it from your Dreamcast (slow, cumbersome and an extra cost) or get it off the internet. 99% of people will get it off the internet and illegally use them. This could be a basis for suing emulator authors. Guess who would take the brunt of this?

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
u are right,but right now games released there is little time to psx (or dreamcast) are being used illegally anyway,if Sony or Sega want to sue emu authors they could do it right now,even because i bet Icarus author doenst expect that after his emu is released (if it will be released one day) that only people who have the ways to dump the games of Dreamcast will use his emulator,even if dreamcast is completely dead.

Edit:and will take a long time before dreamcast games can be considered abandonware,am i right?I dont believe that someone will wait so much time for that.

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
Icarus is pretty much frozen in time since CyRUS64 apparently disappeared off the scene. I doubt an official release will ever be made.

Matata

Novato Experimentado
He´s a big fat guy dressed all in red with a long white beard.
He was last seen at the North Pole. :)