• Xbox

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • None of them

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
pj64er said:
As happy as I am to see someone push PS2 off the top (if only for a short while), can anybody give a reason why this happened? Is it because everyone already has a PS2?
Price drop + mario kart?

NeoNight

The game cube surpassed the ps2 in sales.... only for 1 week while the ps2 is out selling the cube for what the year? (Doesn’t matter to me though I have both systems I don't console discriminate) lol

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
NeoNight said:
The game cube surpassed the ps2 in sales.... only for 1 week while the ps2 is out selling the cube for what the year? (Doesn’t matter to me though I have both systems I don't console discriminate) lol

That's the point though. The PS2 is a sales monster, seemingly impossible to topple, and yet GameCube just barely managed a small, but still shocking victory - more in the PR department than anything else, but it IS impressive. Of course it can't last all too long, but I get the feeling when GCN sales 'level out' they will still be far ahead of Xbox sales... for a good while.

JevilKnevil

Clements said:
I play Gamecube games because they are more fun and more addictive than anything I've played on PS2, and I don't need an XBox because I already have a PC that trashes it hardware-wise in almost if not all areas, and the games aren't good enough. Halo and what else? Not too many exclusive games that would make me say "Yeah, I must have an XBox to play 'X' game!" Most are just PC ports or multi-format games (like PS2). The XBox has no proper franchises yet as it is a new console for M$ so there is nothing to get excited about IMO, but this does allow for original games which is a plus point for it.

I own a GC for those Ninty exclusives that I know I'll like playing for months on end (rather than some nameless PS2/XBox game that I'd complete/get bored of in a week). I'm not ashamed of it at all. Windows XP has a "fisher price" look, but it doesn't mean that it's a crap OS.

Also on GC there are a lot of original games like Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin and Super Monkey Ball as well as the franchises such as Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Smash Bros., F-Zero, Metroid.........list goes on forever... I like them all, baby!

Yip, that's pretty much what I wanted to say. The fun factor is a big enough reason for me to own a cube + games mentioned above. So GC all the way!!!!

smegforbrain

Clements said:
Found the list of 9 games confirmed not to work:
Final Fantasy Anthology
Tomba

Ok, I'm late to the party on this thread.

But it's rather amusing that, of the 9 games, I own the two above. :)

I've not tried Tomba on the PS2, but iirc FFA worked, it just wouldn't save the game or anything.

smegforbrain

For me, it started out as a matter of economics, now it's just plain gaming preference.

When the systems all came out, I had the money for one: got a PS2. Rather simple choice for me.

As for the other two, ok, 90% of the games are cross-console. Fine, but even then, with the other 10 %, there aren't enough titles there of interest to me to justify getting either the GB or XBox.
Never been into Zelda, or Metroid, or new Mario games. Halo? *shrug*

Matata

Novato Experimentado
1st : GC (SSB Melee rocks)
2nd: SNES (Lufia 2 is the best RPG ever)
3rd: Playstation (Final Fantasy VII is the 2nd best RPG)

jollyrancher

I'm starting to think that ports are a bad idea... especially for the console makers. If they concentrated their resources on a specific console and understood its possibilities it'd be better. It's a joke that they're talking about the next-generation consoles when the current ones haven't been maxed out yet.... remember the PSX with its choppy framerates in the later stages... show me that on PS2 and then we can talk about new consoles.

dnrobs

trust me smeg play super metroid or a link to the past on snes you wont be dissapointed give them both an hour or 2 first tho

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
You know I said SNES a while back, and while I still stand by it, I would have to say that the neo-geo comes in a very close second if simply for it's way beyond stunning use of 2d.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
I'm starting to think that ports are a bad idea... especially for the console makers. If they concentrated their resources on a specific console and understood its possibilities it'd be better. It's a joke that they're talking about the next-generation consoles when the current ones haven't been maxed out yet.... remember the PSX with its choppy framerates in the later stages... show me that on PS2 and then we can talk about new consoles.

If you think PS2 doesn't have any games with shit frame rates, you obviously haven't played many PS2 games.

whats this about ssb btw i have it for gc its crud

Nice minority opinion =)

the neo-geo comes in a very close second if simply for it's way beyond stunning use of 2d.

Guilty Gear X2 on PS2 completely thrashes anything on the Neo-Geo.

Graphics do not a great game make.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Tagrineth said:

I hope that you only mean aesthetics here, and nothing else. Because gameplay wise the entire Samurai Shodown series is way ahead of the Guilty Gear series. And I'm not even talking about The Last Blade.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
I hope that you only mean aesthetics here, and nothing else. Because gameplay wise the entire Samurai Shodown series is way ahead of the Guilty Gear series. And I'm not even talking about The Last Blade.

I did mean graphics, yes.

And have you played Guilty Gear X2? Because it has -quite- a lot of improvements over Guilty Gear X.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Indeed I have. It's a damn good game too, but the swordplay just isn't as good as it was in the SamSho series.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
Indeed I have. It's a damn good game too, but the swordplay just isn't as good as it was in the SamSho series.

Guilty Gear isn't as -focused- on 'swordplay' as Samurai Showdown.

Or would you call using fists (Jam), a pool cue (Venom), a giant anchor (May), a 10' long scalpel (Faust), and a yo-yo (Bridget) 'Swordplay'? I could list more characters than that, too. =)

jollyrancher

Guilty Gear X2 might have the best graphics and animations ever seen in a 2D fighter, but to many rabid Neogeo fans, it suffers from many of the same flaws as Capcom fighters: it's not the most balanced fighting game and the anime is too cartoonish. Neogeo fighters are some of the most "tournament ready" games ever made... not always pretty, however. I'd pick CVS2 as the best 2D fighter on the PS2.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Tagrineth said:
Guilty Gear isn't as -focused- on 'swordplay' as Samurai Showdown.

Or would you call using fists (Jam), a pool cue (Venom), a giant anchor (May), a 10' long scalpel (Faust), and a yo-yo (Bridget) 'Swordplay'? I could list more characters than that, too. =)

Most of these are still weapons, rather than fists only. It's not like Gairo doesn't use huge beans, Amakuza doesn't use a crystal ball, Hakutomaru (or whatever was the name of the kid from SamSho 3 and 4) doesn't use an umbrella, And Sieger doesn't use a mechanic arm. I can list more characters than that, too.