Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

***New owners of the Boom PSX/N64 adapter***

I'm getting tired of the constant questions regarding this thing, so I'm compiling all that I know into one thread. If someone sees a question concerning this adapter, please link to this thread.

As many have undoubtedly noticed, this adapter seems a bit dodgy, particularly when using N64 pads. PSX and PS2 pads seem to work flawlessly, but numerous people have problems with their N64 controllers. I recall reading somewhere that N64 support was added as an afterthought. Whether that is true or not, I can attest that the adapter does indeed work great with N64 pads with some caveats. I'll list what I know:

1. Drivers
    Users of Win2000 and WinXP need not worry about installing the included drivers. Support is built into the OS, and installing the drivers from the installation disk is not likely to solve an issues you may face. Users of Win98 and possibly WinME will need drivers. Simply follow the instructions included on the disk.

2. Analog stick doesn't work
    After installing the adapter you absolutely must calibrate the analog stick. If you notice that your game character barely manages a walk despite full motion of the stick, you need to calibrate it. This doesn't seem to be an issue with PSX pads, just N64. Go to your Control Panel and open Gaming Options. Highlight the adapter in the list. It should be "4-axis 16-button joystick" for Win2000/XP users, and "Monster Gaming Device" (or similar) in 98/ME. Click the Properties button, then the Settings tab, and finally Calibrate. Follow the directions and everything should be fine thereafter. Keep in mind that you may need to repeat this if the adapter is disconnected.

3. When I click Properties in Gaming Options, all the buttons go crazy, like they're all being pressed
    This one is a bit mysterious. First, I don't recommend using anything other that genuine, first-party Nintendo controllers with the adapter. Third-party controllers seem to cause more than their fair share of problems, and in fact they may not be officially supported anyway. I've also seen some first-party controllers exhibit the same problem. I can only surmise that the adapter is tempermental with older N64 pads, even ones that otherwise work fine with the console or other adapters. I bought a brand new N64 controller with my adapter and have had no problems. Bottom line? If you experience this issue, buy a new controller. N64 pads can still be purchased new at Nintendo's site. You could also buy an Adaptoid, which seems to play nice with worn-in controllers.

4. Rumble and/or mempaks don't work
    With the lower cost comes the absence of bonus features, namely rumble and mempak support. They simply won't work. If you really need the features, purchase an Adaptoid.

I bought a number of these adapters in bulk; kept a few and sold the rest. I personally have experienced no problems with those that I own using a variety of emulator/plugin combinations. I have seen number three above with one of the adapters I sold, but after swapping the controller for another, the problem ceased. Most issues are controller and/or configuration related.

Last edited by Allnatural; October 26th, 2003 at 05:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "2. Analog stick doesn't work
    After installing the adapter you absolutely must calibrate the analog stick. If you notice that your game character barely manages a walk despite full motion of the stick, you need to calibrate it. This doesn't seem to be an issue with PSX pads, just N64. Go to your Control Panel and open Gaming Options. Highlight the adapter in the list. It should be "4-axis 16-button joystick" for Win2000/XP users, and "Monster Gaming Device" (or similar) in 98/ME. Click the Properties button, then the Settings tab, and finally Calibrate. Follow the directions and everything should be fine thereafter. Keep in mind that you may need to repeat this if the adapter is disconnected."

Maybe I am a complete idiot, but i bought the psx/n64 adapter and i'm too stupid to read this manual to fix the problem that my analog stick doesn't move the games fast enough. Where exactly are the "Gaming Options" or the "Control Panel" in Project 64 ? Can't find them. BTW: Which plugin do i have to use ? Right now I'm using the plugin that was included in Project 64.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magic stick
    Where exactly are the "Gaming Options" or the "Control Panel" in Project 64 ? Can't find them. BTW: Which plugin do i have to use ? Right now I'm using the plugin that was included in Project 64.
    The Windows control panel.

You can use any plugin you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    does this thing work with Gamecube Pads aswell???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper190
    does this thing work with Gamecube Pads aswell???
    Why would a psx/n64 adapter work with a Gamecube pad?

The answer is no, but there are adapters specifically for the Gamecube pad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allnatural
    Why would a psx/n64 adapter work with a Gamecube pad?

The answer is no, but there are adapters specifically for the Gamecube pad.
    I see . I must say id probaly get this one instead because

i like the cube controller more than the others.

not to bad for 15.00

By the way I just asking about the controller support of the boom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joystick

My N64 Controller is Working. Hoooray & Thank you very much (as always)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joystick

Quote Originally Posted by Allnatural
    I'm getting tired of the constant questions regarding this thing, so I'm compiling all that I know into one thread.
    Thank you, that really helped. Now I know that my N64 adapter truly doesn't work. -_- Well, fortunately I just bought a PS2, and since all I play on it is DDR (using a DDR pad) and DVDs (using a remote) I can use that controller instead. But for some reason the analogue sticks don't work. The D-pad and other buttons all work fine, but the analogues don't seem to have give any input at all when I view the raw data on the calibration screens. When calibrating there's screens for calibrating the Z Axis and Z Rotation - are these for the analogues?

Also, do you know if there's an online manual, or even a website for this product? I ordered mine online, and it didn't come with a manual, or even a box, so I can't even tell who made this thing.

And here's all the info I could find about N64 compatibility:
    Compatibility with Nintendo (original) controllers:
    Gray - does not work
    Black - works
    Purple - works
    Green - works
    Atomic series (transparent) - does not work
    I also confirmed that it doesn't work with either my red, yellow, or transparent controllers. Which are my only surviving N64 controllers. Joy.

I wish I could code.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know this topic is pretty dead, but I feel this is relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerek
    The D-pad and other buttons all work fine, but the analogues don't seem to have give any input at all when I view the raw data on the calibration screens. When calibrating there's screens for calibrating the Z Axis and Z Rotation - are these for the analogues?
    Okay. Well, to my experience, when I set up a PSX pad in the control panel, the X and Y axes are the horizontal and vertical of the left analogue stick. Then you have the two Z-axes, which are horizontal and vertical on the right analogue stick. The only problem I can think of for getting the axes to work is, have you pressed the analogue button so that the red light is on? If you've done that, and you've checked all the connections and installed the drivers properly (assuming your OS needs them) then I'm stumped. Sorry.

Also, do you know if there's an online manual, or even a website for this product? I ordered mine online, and it didn't come with a manual, or even a box, so I can't even tell who made this thing.
    Not even a box? That's pretty shabby. I got mine from Lik-Sang, and I got a floppy disk with drivers, and a box. No instructions though.. although I RARed the contents of the floppy and stuck it here: http://www.1stbac.co.uk/users/malcol...e/boomdocs.rar in case you haven't already got it. The box says nothing detailed, only "Connect any psx and n64 controllers to the USB port of your PC or MAC. No external power supply needed. Full compatibility with Win95/98/ME/2000 and MacOS".

And here's all the info I could find about N64 compatibility:

I also confirmed that it doesn't work with either my red, yellow, or transparent controllers. Which are my only surviving N64 controllers. Joy.
    Well, I dunno what's up with your red controller, must be an older model. My red official controller works fine, as does my gold official controller. My third party Gamester jobby doesn't work, but it's such a bad pad (especially the analogue stick) that I'm not really bothered too much.

Hope some of this has been of use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Compatibility with Nintendo (original) controllers:
    Gray - does not work
    Black - works
    Purple - works
    Green - works
    Atomic series (transparent) - does not work
    Interesting. I'll admit I've never seen the adapter work properly with a grey controller, but every "grey" I've tried was flaky to begin with. However, my Atomic Green controller has always worked quite well.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast