Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a genuine N64 grey controller, and the Boom PSX/N64 USB adapter.

After calibrating the controller in WinXP Control Panel, I tried to set the controller in PJ64 Controller Options. I was using the default "Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6" as the controller plugin. When trying to set the analogue stick controls, PJ64 seemed to get very confused and reported me pushing the stick left as "Zr+" or suchlike.

Then I switched to "N-Rages's Direct-Input8 V2 1.80a" plugin. This plugin correctly recognised me pushing the stick left as "X-" (or suchlike). I set the deadzone to 0%, and my N64 emulation works a treat!! 100 times better than the original console!!!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm very terribly sorry if people are getting sick of these questions, but I just spent my money on this adapter and waited 13 days for it to get here. I finally got it, and I plugged it in. XP decided to install it automatically, so I forgot about the instructions it came with. I read through all of this already, and discovered that it shows up as 4-axis, 16-button controller. That's all there as it should be. I decided to calibrate it as has been said. (I'm not sure what Z-axis is, I assumed it was the d-pad). Once calibrated, I opened in P64k. I tried both Jabo's and N-Rage plugins, and neither one of them pick up the buttons whatsoever.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Certainly do not install that old driver on the floppy on Windows XP. That thing didn't even work properly on Windows 98SE for me. Windows Me somehow finds the same driver XP uses on the internet when you plug the adapter in, and installs it. Just use the driver XP installs.

Did you select the controller in the drop down in N-Rage's plugin? The buttons should detect what your're pushing for each direction.

The Z direction in Window's Control Panel calibration is just something useless that doesn't really exist since there is no z axis, but you still have to calibrate it properly for the controller to be set right. The driver Windows uses thinks there is a z axis. The digital pad just is normal buttons, so there's nothing to calibrate in Windows except to check to see they work.

You just follow the directions there. When you get to the z axis, you move the analog stick again. I forget which way, but for the 2 z axis, you move the stick either up and down or left to right, whichever way the graphic seems to move properly.

The rest of the calibration is necessary because Windows by default reads the stick wrong. It severely limits the outer reaches, so you get just a small swivel when you go all around in circles. Calibrating it for the entire radius fixes this.

If the controller is calibrated properly you shouldn't have any problems setting it up in N-Rage's direct input plugin. One caveat is that when you get to the analog stick you should press the stick in the direction you want before you press the button, unlike all the other buttons. If it doesn't detect your move, jiggle it slightly and it'll pick it up. And, sometimes it detects the x asis as the stupid z axis that doesn't exist. When that happens just set the direction again like before. Move the stick, then press the choice in the program. It'll pick it up as x axis properly, most times.

I don't know what else to tell you. If the controller calibrates in Windows Control Panel, then the plugin should pick it up. Mine works, but there are some that are defective and there are also some controllers that won't work with the Boom.

Hey, I just got an Adaptoid from ZtNetStore this week! I won't mess with things until I get done with a couple of games I have saved to a mempack in the Save folder of Project64. I don't want to lose that save information until I'm done with the games. I'm not sure how the Adaptiod will react to the saved Mempack that isn't in the Adaptiod format.
    NES, NES2, SNES, SNES2, N64, GB, GBPocket, GBColor
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Logitech Rumblepad 2, N64 w/Adaptoid

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got my BOOM converter and couldnt figure out HOw on earth to calibrate it. Everytime id go to control panel and try to set it right, it would zoom through the test not letting me press even press anything!

Anyway... my soloution?

Plug a PSX pad in as well as the N64 Pad and hey presto, everything was cool.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Discovered my problem. I feel so stupid. I had the switch on the PS controller side!! >.<

But, as has been said, it's all jittery. Is it correct that PS controllers don't have this problem?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, that switch with no label confused me too.

I had a problem with it being jittery. When I would leave it centered it would want to go down. That was crazy. For example, I would halt Mario and he would start walking down.

It stopped doing that when I switched to a different N64 pad. My black one had the downwards problem and occasional jitter, but my original grey one did not.

I would say that was it, but my grey one started to have the same problem.

It was fixed when I went back in to Windows Control Panel and calibrated it again. I'm thinking my black one would have possibly been fixed by that as well. But it is known that some N64 pads work with it and some do not. Generally the ones that do not work with it are completely impossible to calibrate. The controller will just go nuts, moving in all different directions without touching it.

If yours is mostly calibrating then it probably is compatible. Just keep trying to calibrate it with the wizard until it stops jittering. I think you have to really set the Windows detected z-axis properly, as well as all the normal x, y directions. Keep at it and it'll probably work.

If not, you can try removing the pad from the Windows Gamepad Control Panel list, pull the usb plug out, reboot, and plug it back in so Windows will install the driver again fresh. Then try calibrating it properly with the wizard now that your more certain how to do it. Then it might take the first time. Once it's right you shouldn't need to fool with that again.
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've noticed some jitter with my PSX pad (in the control panel), but my N64 pad has always been rock-solid. *shrug*

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Every so often Windows XP is unable to initialize the driver. It returns after I restart again, but I got kind of sick of this happening.

So I removed the Boom associated human interface devices from Device Manager and hooked up my new Adaptoid.

XP calls it the Adaptoid and everything just works. So far it hasn't had a problem running the driver at start up but it's early yet. That was the only problem I was having with the Boom. We'll see, as it seems to use the same Human Interface Controller stuff in Device Manager for the Adaptoid.

I found that as long as I set the N-Rage input plugin the same way for memory packs as I had the Boom, I'm able to use the same saved packs I was using before.

I haven't tried installing the Adaptiod software yet. I suppose I may if I want force feedback or the use of real memory packs at some point.

It's nice that I didn't have to calibrate the Adaptiod. XP runs it perfectly.
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got this thing i was really hyped about putting it to use. I read before that it needed to be calibrated first. So i did that in XP Control Panel no problem. My only problem is that when i press any button or move the joystick, the emulator seems like its not reading it at all, although windows will read it fine. The button is switched to the n64 port, and ive messed around with all of the controller input plugins for Project 64. Please help me?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If the N64 pad works properly in the Windows calibrator then the N-Rage Direct Input plugin that comes with Project64 1.6 should run the pad fine.

Make sure you're selecting the N-Rage plugin in PJ64 (it's not the default).

Make sure you've actually used the Windows joystick calibrating wizard by clicking the advanced button in the control panel (not just the test).

Make sure you calibrate the fake z-axis while there. You'll never use it, but it must be calibrated properly. In the wizard, just move the stick so the bars on screen move the widest left to right it can. Then push next like it says.

Don't forget you need to setup the pad in the N-Rage plugin's setup pages. You select the name Windows gives it (4-axis, 16 button gamepad) in the N-Rage properties page's dropdown, then go through each button and direction on the pad and click the corresponding button on the properties page, push your pad's button, and wait until it sets it.

When you get to the control stick, you need to go backwards. I mean you must push your controller in the direction then click the button in the program. Sometimes you must wiggle the pad's stick a bit until the program recognizes it. When you go left-right, make sure it's y-axis and not z-axis! Do it a few times and the program will ignore z and report just x and y-axis properly.

Then it should just work.
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast