Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was wrong in my posts above,
    they do all work on all the USB controllers. However, there is a timing/init problem or some kind where they dont always work each time they're connected. they do work after two or more reconnects. this problem does seem to be unique to the Boom devices, as nothing else i've tried has this (and i've tried many other kinds of adapter).

another issue i can confirm: some are more picky about N64 controllers than others. about half the adapters i get work with some original N64 pads i have, and half don't. other controllers work on all of them, its definately a bug with the adapter.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK I clibrated the controller but how can i use it for project 64?
    do u need to download a plugin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts_User_Name
    OK I clibrated the controller but how can i use it for project 64?
    do u need to download a plugin?
    don't double post, already answered in pj64 forum, which is where it should be.

ok, these Boom adapters are really starting to piss me off. i posted above that they don't always init, and that seems to be true. if you have a single adapter on an ordinary PC, this is a nuisance.

However, if you have a gaming/htpc setup with lots of controllers, and if that machine is regularly switched off or goes on standy and powers down the USB devices, it's a disaster. the Boom adapters randomly dissappear and this changes the ID of all controllers, breaking all games/emulators set up.
    My Adaptoids which are ~4 years old never do this.

is there still a market for a new low cost N64-USB design? will the price of the Adaptoid come down? (spooky music).

Something else:
    They don't seem to work properly with Playstation1/PSone controllers (original or dual shock). anyone confirm?

and another i meant to mention:
    they don't identify themselves properly. so you either get "16 button 4 axis controller" or you get the name of some other controller on your system e.g. a Super Smartjoy. weird.

I should write all this up somewhere.
    Last edited by Clements; September 29th, 2006 at 06:09. Reason: Merge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thankfully I've experienced none of these problems with my batch. Like I said though, maybe I just got lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i've tried at least 6 Boom adapters from 3 batches over 3 months. the problems i'm describing are just from the good ones - i'm not even going into everything that's wrong with the bad ones lol. (i do not have it in for this company, i just know **** QA when i see it. and some of this is design errors so i can't believe you don't see any of it).

your PS1 d-pad/analogue sticks work properly? i have two genuine sony controllers and neither work with a stable -non-jittery stick (PS2 controller ok).
    Last edited by Smiff; July 12th, 2005 at 21:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff
    your PS1 d-pad/analogue sticks work properly? i have two genuine sony controllers and neither work with a stable -non-jittery stick (PS2 controller ok).
    Yup. PS1, PS2, N64, all work fine. Were yours purchased recently? I bought mine two or three years ago, so perhaps it's just the newer batches that are really problematic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, April-May-June 05

so it looks like these things are getting worse
    Last edited by Smiff; July 25th, 2005 at 18:31.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Strangely, I was having the same problems on my other pc with XPHESP2. The system would run my original grey N64 controller fine with the Boom adapter, then on reboot it wouldn't be able to initialize the driver (red X in device manager) and it would not show up in the game controllers panel. Other times the game character would jitter or move in a direction without my moving the joystick. Unplugging the adapter, rebooting and plugging it back in before the pc started up again would make XP detect things properly again, but it still had the jittering and wandering stick problem.

I wanted to try some stuff with Windows Me so I installed that on my other pc. Now, previously I had tried using the Boom on this machine with 98SE and the Monster Gamepad drivers would install and appear as functioning in device manager but nothing would be detected in the gamepad control panel. If I added it, it would say not connected. I wasn't able to get it to work on 98SE. But, with Windows Me a funny thing happened. I had noticed while installing my Sidewinder Gamepad Pro USB 4.0 that after the software install and a reboot and plugging in the pad, ZoneAlarm asked me for permission for some Windows Me process to access the internet. I allowed it, and what I think is the updated Sidewinder driver was quickly downloaded and installed. I had no idea Windows Me could do that!

When I plugged in the Boom adapter with the N64 gamepad plugged in, I was all ready with the driver when the New Hardware Wizard detected it but that didn't happen! Instead, ZoneAlarm popped in again and asked for permission for that Windows Me process. I allowed it again and zip, zip the 4 axis/16 button gamepad (like on XP) was installed!

I checked and it still had that crappy default calibration, so I calibrated it. I switched plugins in N64 to the P641.6 provided N-Rage one and did the little trick of holding down the gamepad's joystick direction before clicking the tab in N-Rage, and it did the tabs properly without calling them z-axis. Just -x,-y, +x,+y, like it should. I set the dead zone to zero and the usage to 100% with real N64.

In Windows Me there is no character jittering or trying to move when the stick is centered. And, on reboot the pad is recognized properly every time. And this, with a Sidewinder Gamepad USB on controller 1, a Sidewinder Gamepad Pro USB on controller 2, and the N64 pad on controller 3 in the gamepad control panel. All these pads and the thing is working perfectly.

So, what's with Windows XP? This may be an operating system bug and not a fault of the Boom Adapter. My soundcard is using WDM drivers on the pc and I did run the WDM and USB Microsoft updates before the soundcard or gaming stuff was installed. Maybe Windows XP needs some kind of bug fix too? Windows Me seems to be using the same drivers but fully successfully, unlike Windows XP.
    NES, NES2, SNES, SNES2, N64, GB, GBPocket, GBColor
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Logitech Rumblepad 2, N64 w/Adaptoid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I usually have problems with everything having to do with my pc but Ive been lucky so far with Booms adaptor. Hell, I didn't even have to calibrate my controller.

If you need rumble features as long as you have another controller that supports the rumble just use N64 virutal plugin and activate both controllers at the same time in Controller 1 like so. I use it for Zelda OoT.

I dont know if it works with any other plugins though.

Oh well just a cheap work around for those who dont know and arent lucky enough to have an adatoid.

Cheerio
    Into this mysterious universe we are born, with no apparent set of instructions, no maps or equations, no signs or guideposts, nothing but our equally unfathomable instincts, intuitions, and reasoning abilities to tell us where we came from, why we are here, and what we are supposed to do. What we do possess - perhaps it is the key to our survival as a species - is an almost unquenchable need to know

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Go figure. Now it's working on the XP machine.

Strangely, when I first installed it and rebooted I got a weird error box about a dos device and that more information was available. Only there was no more information as it only had an OK to click to close the box.

This happened intermittantly on startup until I disabled ZoneAlarm for an update. Then after ZoneAlarm was activated again it returned.

I found I needed to unplug it and boot without it to avoid the message. The only thing in error log was that a device was writing to memory and couldn't finish because I had shutdown.

After leaving it that way for awhile, I recently reconnected it permanantly and now I get no errors.

The system picks it up every time I reboot and it works perfectly in Project64.

Quite a flaky piece of hardware. But it's working now.
    NES, NES2, SNES, SNES2, N64, GB, GBPocket, GBColor
    Epox EP-8KRAIPRO
    AthlonXP 3200+
    Crucial 512x2 3200
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Logitech Rumblepad 2, N64 w/Adaptoid

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast