What's new

Turok 1 Problems.... (level 3 lockups)

godzilla525

If this forum loses my post again I'm going to scream.

A while back someone posted that they were getting random lockups on level 3 in Turok 1. I am too. They seem to occur most on tier 3 of the city in the left array of square buildings. F5/F7 helps, but progress through the level is very slow and inevitably I hit F5 right after it locks up. :doh:

When it does lock up, it reports 24% for r4300i and the rest idle, 0 for both Alist and Dlist.

Using PJ 64 v1.5 with the 1.5.1 update installed, Jabo's plugins.
ROM: Turok - Dinosaur Hunter V1.0 U !

I've messed with Counter Factor, Interpreter/Recomplier, Register caching... everything. Results of tweaking are the game runs slow/crashes on level 3, game runs normal speed/crashes on level 3, or game won't get past the first screen.

This game also crashes often on level 1 when you return to the area where you picked up the first key and have to step on the switch to drop 2 wooden gates. It often locks up while the wooden gates are going down or right after they stop.

One thing I noticed when playing this on real hardware is that sometimes in the game, and in level 3 in particular, enemies aren't loaded right away. All that's visible are dust clouds and muzzle flashes, and the framerate drops drastically for a couple of seconds until they load in.

I got lucky and have a save state that *almost* guarantees a lockup when the bad guy falls down... almost seems related to falldown completion or the end of the sound effect.

Unrelated, but with the application of the 1.5.1 update, the base of the Tic Toc Clock in Mario 64 is completely opaque (it wasn't before), along with the blue portals in Turok (not sure about those)...

Dell I8200. P4-M 1600 (locked to 1600 on AC), 392MB DDR266, GF4 Go 440 32MB with nV44.68 (agreed by many I8200 owners to be the most stable 3D drivers for this card) Intel AC'97 sound (works perfectly in all my Windows games...no other issues observed)
Windows XP Pro SP1 w/DX8 installed clean 4 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Archn

I'm not quite sure how to get to these spots because I don't know how to play this game, but I was just browsing through pressing buttons, and got to a screen where it was all white but I could hear the music. Is that kinda like what you were talking about? That was a 99.8% for r4300i though. And I tried it with Glide 64 / Evoodoo.

OP
G

godzilla525

Nope... the graphics and sound just stop, there's no white screen or other artifacts... The only things graphically incorrect that I can tell so far are the missing lens flares for the sun and the opacity of the portals.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Does your entire PC lock up crash?

If it does, possibly you have an unstable video card or
processor. If overclocking your processor, you have an unstable overclock and if overclocking the video card you have an unstable overclock, *unless* the lock up crashes occur *only* with Turok.

If your entire PC don't lock up crash, maybe you're required to use 1964 to play Turok without game lock up crashes.

Last edited:
OP
G

godzilla525

RJARRRPCGP said:
Does your entire PC lock up crash?
If your entire PC don't lock up crash, maybe you're required to use 1964 to play Turok without game lock up crashes.

Nope... just the game itself in the emulator. I have no such issues with other games (e.g. Mario64, Goldeneye). I'll try 1964 for this one instead and see if it helps.

OP
G

godzilla525

Nope... I can't even get as far as the first key in level 1 before the game itself causes 1964 to crash. (using any video/audio plugins) :(

sanndman2k4

In my experience, laptops in general are a little bit more "squirrily" for gaming, and even more so for emulation. It's not an exact science, and emulation will NEVER be perfect, that is unless someone slaps together a PCI card with all the original hardware on it, but then again that's defeating the point. My advice to you would be to try different emulators for the N64 (PJ64 is THE best I have used yet, though) with different plugins. It's a matter of trial and error. Good luck to you.

Nowhere Man

Hello all. I actually came to this forum to see if anyone else was getting lockups in Turok. And...wow! I'm not the only one. I'm getting lockups very frequently in level 3 as well. I'm using pj64 (with 1.51 update) as well and n-rage's input plug-in (v.1.82) so I can use mouse and keyboard control. This setup worked very well through the first level but I started getting lockup problems in the city and extremely frequently on the third tier, as you mentioned. I guess I'll look for another emu and see if its more compatible.

OP
G

godzilla525

Well I managed to get through Levels 3, 4, 5, 6, and most of 7.

I got through Level 3 while listening to music with Foobar2000. Foobar grinds up a lot of CPU while other programs are accessing the sound device... it also slows down the game. I was able to get past the trouble spots this way.

Later I had trouble in Level 7... again playing audio with something else kept it from locking up... the game would grind and stutter through busy stuff but kept going.

So it appears to be related to sound in some way, as I tried a different audio plugin (zilmar), which "broke" after the game started and didn't play sound again... no freezing :) It didn't play sound at all until I loaded from a state save, at which point it played all of the sounds at once and continued playing audio from the game normally... shortly thereafter it froze up again...

I don't know whether or not to blame the AC'97 yet, as other games such as Turok 2, South Park, and Mario 64 work without problems. Perhaps it's some sort of timing issue or interaction with the sound engine in the game with the plugin and possibly the AC'97.

At least I know now to focus on the audio side of things... If all else fails I could look into a Firewire or USB audio device.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
godzilla525 said:
Nope... just the game itself in the emulator. I have no such issues with other games (e.g. Mario64, Goldeneye). I'll try 1964 for this one instead and see if it helps.

Make sure the self modifying code handling method is set to "Protect Memory".

OP
G

godzilla525

It still locks up... I'm going to try it on a different (slower) computer and see if it behaves any differently.

Churchmouse

I know this thread is ancient, but this problem describes the exact problem I'm now encountering with Turok while using PJ64. I love this emulator and have never had any trouble with it. My computer isn't the newest or fastest (Windows ME, 128, GEForce2 MX, DirectX 7) but those limitations still allow me to live happily ever after with many great emulators, ie: Project 64, Epsxe 1.6, Gens 2.11, Snes9x, VBA. I use my Adaptoid with them all and it works great.... but this freezing up on Turok level three is plaguing me now. I followed all the advice listed in this thread, including getting Foobar, which unfortunately didn't help me like it did Godzilla525, (but thanks, it's a great jukebox) and so I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix to this glitch yet.

I have the lastest Turok- Dinosaur Hunter rom (v1.2) and have tried multiple copies, as well as the original rom version. It always sticks someplace on the third level after you go up the green stairs. Oh, and I've 'upgraded' my PJ64 with SP1 and the newest "Clements" version dated August '04 (I found on Zophar's).

Lord A.

The Wu From The North
EDIT: I'm posting this here because this "fix" does not prevent lockups with other emulators (at least not for me), like 1964.

Resurrecting a nearly 5 year old thread, but since it's here why make a new one. I tried searching but couldn't find any other solutions, than various ROM setting suggestions which don't fix these lockups for me.

I'm using Pj64 v1.6, and Turok - Dinosaur Hunter v1.2 (U). I just found a way around the frequent lockups in level 3 (and possibly later), at least for me. I have now tried all available video and audio plugins and each version of them, running with all the possible ROM settings and their combinations. The last audio plugin I tested was the old Azimer sound plugin Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Driver Rev. 2.2), and it works. You have to enable "sync gameplay to audio", or the audio and especially music sounds very very weird and messed up in the areas that cause a lockup. The downside is the frame rate drops (down to about 30-40 fps for me, in some parts even lower) around those areas. Core is at about 90% at those times. Just thought I'd post it in case someone still wants to play it and it works for them also. And so that maybe with any luck this could help in finding out the cause of the lockups. :p

Also I have a mempak-file with a save (NRage V2 1.83) that's about a 20 second run away from a (for me 90% sure lockup, sometimes I have to run around the area a bit before the lockup occurs) lockup area, in case someone wants to test this.

My system:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
6 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD3850 256 Mb (Catalyst 9.1)
Windows XP SP2 & Vista Ultimate SP1 x64
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Last edited: