What's new

some psx shots

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
You're allowed to attach whatever you want as long as it's from a game. In fact, how about I make a few shots from my favourite PlayStation games. Let's start with a bit of Final Fantasy VII shall we?

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Ridge Racer Type 4. The best driving game I've seen for the PlayStation. Ridge Racer V can't even come close.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Umihara Kawase Shun - Second Edition. The expansion of Umihara Kawase Shun (also for the PlayStation) which is the sequel of Umihara Kawase (for the SNES).

It's a cross between a fishing game and a platformer. Seriously. You play as Kawase-san, a girl who is for some reason wandering around these stages catching walking fish with her turbo-charged fishing rod and line. Maybe she's an exterminator or something but that doesn't matter. You also get to use your super fishing rod to swing around on, pull yourself up to high ledges and do all sorts of other cool stuff with. It's really fun.

Make sure to download it from Home of the Underdogs soon...

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Resident Evil 3. Ooh, scary. Actually, that Nemesis freak is pretty scary. I mean, having a 9-foot, NE-T virus infected mutant chasing you through a post-apocalyptic city filled with flesh-eating zombies and other nasties would hit anyone pretty hard.

The Japanese version still had more gore though.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Ah, now the final stretch. I have but one game left:

Tales of Phantasia

I know the SNES version is already translated, but this PS1 remake is better in every way possible! Revised script, better graphics, remixed sound, revamped battle system, longer game, more subquests, an entirely new secret character, more voice acting, kickass character portraits, sprites that look like the concept art, five FMVs, do I need to go any further?

First of three. This shows the new map. The old mode 7 thing has been replaced with a fully 3D polygon rendered map. The only sprite left is the character sprite.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Third of three. Really pretty FMV! There's only five, but they're all smooth, sharp, widescreen and overall high quality.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
About tales of phantasia, I prefer the original music...some of the remixed tunes seems to have lost their charm.

Knuckles

Lillymon, if you like FF7, just get it for the PC and play :p I play here with 4xS AA with my GF4MX, it's looking realllly great :)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
pj64er said:
About tales of phantasia, I prefer the original music...some of the remixed tunes seems to have lost their charm.
Really? I'm listening to the PSFs now and they sound fantastic. They easily carry as much emotion as the originals. Even more in some cases.

If you are playing ToP or listening to the music, make sure reverb is on and that you're using Neill Corlett's reverb. It's accurate to the PS1 and makes the music sound infinitly better.

Knuckles said:
Lillymon, if you like FF7, just get it for the PC and play :p I play here with 4xS AA with my GF4MX, it's looking realllly great :)
I hear the minigames play uncontrollably fast on a modern PC (like mine). Looks like Square forgot to implement speed throttling.

As for the PS1 version, I also use 4xAA at 640x480. Good speed, good accuracy, but I don't even like FF7 much. I prefer playing it on my PS2 is at all possible.

BTW, what's with everyone getting GeForce4 MX cards? They're less powerful than a decent (non-MX) GeForce2! I plan to upgrade to to the ATI Radeon 9800 XT when the price is reasonable. Maybe 1280x1024 with 16x anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering will be possible...

karth95

Lord of the Cats
it's all about the feature set. The GF4 MX has most DX8 features, meaning that it'll show prettier graphics, even if they are slower than the the GF2 would display it.

I just bought a Geforce FX 5200. It's slower than the Geforce 4 TI 4200, but it has full DX 9 pixel shaders and some other cool stuff, meaning it looks better than the 4200 does, even if it's slower.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
karth95 said:
it's all about the feature set. The GF4 MX has most DX8 features, meaning that it'll show prettier graphics, even if they are slower than the the GF2 would display it.

Tell Rice that. His plugin looks better on a GF2 than it does on any MX card.

Emutalkman

Lillymon said:
BTW, what's with everyone getting GeForce4 MX cards? They're less powerful than a decent (non-MX) GeForce2! I plan to upgrade to to the ATI Radeon 9800 XT when the price is reasonable. Maybe 1280x1024 with 16x anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering will be possible...

No, you are wrong. Geforce 4 MX 440 and MX 460 are better than a regular Geforce 2. Only Geforce 4 MX 420 is worse.

Last edited: