What's new

Burning a CD a 68k Mac can read

Lizard Blade

Mac-
33mhz 680LC40
Mac OS 7.5.5
2x CD-ROM drive

So I know that I should only burn .sit files or the like, to prevent resource stripping under Windows. I also know that the Mac can't read CD-RWs at all, but can at least detect that a CD-R is present. I only have CD-RWs, but does the "finalize CD" option in Nero effectively turn it into a CD-R? And is there anything I should know about the formatting of the CD that'll stop the Mac from reading it? Another CD-R I put in there gave me the "format disk" dialog.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I'm pretty sure the CD format is completely different. I have one disc that has both mac stuff and pc stuff and you can't access the other type from a pc/mac machine. I'm quite curious about this as well..

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Finalizing them won't turn them into CD-Rs. They can still be written over...

You can burn any file onto a cd and use them in a mac. It doesn't use a different format...

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/ (it's a guide to switch from PC to Mac, but it says you can just burn cds and use them)

OP
L

Lizard Blade

Chibi Nick said:
Finalizing them won't turn them into CD-Rs. They can still be written over...

You can burn any file onto a cd and use them in a mac. It doesn't use a different format...

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/ (it's a guide to switch from PC to Mac, but it says you can just burn cds and use them)

Thanks for the link, but it assumes you're putting files on a more modern, G3+ Mac, not the decade old dinosaur I'm speaking of. Most notably because its being referred to as an "upgrade" :D . I was hoping there was someway to "CD-Rify", as such ancient CD-ROM drives can't read RWs. And heres some information I got at another board, Ambrosia Software (a Mac gaming company):

David Arthur said:
Unlikely - CD-RW has a different chemistry than CD-R, and I don't think anything without MultiRead (usually present on 24x+ drives) can read it. CD-Rs are easy enough to get, though, and cheaper.
Just use the Windows standard ISO 9660 format and the Mac should be able to read it.

Gildor said:
No, it won't turn a CD-RW into a CD-R, because they use a different substrate. The drive itself detects what kind of disk is in there and treats it appropriately.
That's said, CD-RWs are only generally readble in CD-RW drives because the difference between pits and peaks (or whatever you want to call them) isn't all that great. In some cases, the drive will actually look straight through the CD.
CD-Rs are readable by all drives, they're also a damn slight cheaper than -RWs. (I use -Rs for everything, even temporarily transferring 2MB files... quicker and cheaper)
Like Mr Arthur above me says, save it as whatever the Windows standard format is - Macs have been able to read windows disks since pretty much the year dot. Windows still doesn't return the favour.

Anyone else who needs help on this should also see my origonal post on this topic, which is the first "related link" below this page :). Thanks for the help guys, now I need a CD-R (or 50, considering how they're packaged), to try it out.

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
If that still doesn't work, there are tools for creating HFS disk images (HFV Explorer comes to mind), and Nero can burn those.

dcook32p

AlphaWolf is right.

AlphaWolf said:
Try ISO9660 with no extensions (e.g. no joliet)

This is correct.

I remember when I was trying to get Debian GNU/Linux on my Mac LC II+ I burned the files to a CD-R as ISO 9660. Using Mac OS 7.0.1 (I think. It has been a long time) the system read the disc just fine. Note that I was using an external SCSI CD-ROM drive.