What's new

Blurry Graphics in Full Screen

PCB

Hey, let me just say that i first used Jnes v.0.26. It ran perfectly, and i was extremely happy. I only played 2 roms with it, 1942, and Bubble Bobble, and Bubble Bobble was perfect. 1942 was great, but it started to bog down with lots of shit on the screen.

So i went to see if there was a newer version of Jnes, and i got the latest version (0.5.1). And i'm having troubles. In Bubble Bobble, there seems to be some distortion at the bottom of the screen where you can't see your bubbles very well. Plus any rom i've tried to load in full screen mode (tried every resolution), the graphics become very blurry. Any idea what i can do?

Going back to 0.26 for now, thanks a ton for the great emulators man, keep it up! :)

EDIT: I use windows XP with a very recent computer and video card, drivers are up to date.

Clements

1. I haven't noticed this, but I don't play the game a lot. It may be caused by the rom being a bad dump or havng an incorrect header.

2. You probably have an nVidia graphics card and it is auto-filtering the screen. This can look excellent in certain situations, but not really in this. I'd be interested if anyone knows how to enable/disable it manually, as a few of my emus don't filter when I want them to and vice-versa.

OP
P

PCB

Clements said:
1. I haven't noticed this, but I don't play the game a lot. It may be caused by the rom being a bad dump or havng an incorrect header.

2. You probably have an nVidia graphics card and it is auto-filtering the screen. This can look excellent in certain situations, but not really in this. I'd be interested if anyone knows how to enable/disable it manually, as a few of my emus don't filter when I want them to and vice-versa.

Yes, i do have an Nvidia, GeForce4 Ti4400 128mb if it helps. I'm also curious on how to disable it. Thanks for the info man :)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
if you are using full screen, I would guess you are also using the "Stretch" option ... which uses hardware, if you have any recent graphics (later than 1997) it is probably causing as you describe this "blurry graphics"

I think nvidia might argue it's nicer but hey everyone is entitled to their view :)

there is no way around that unfortunately.. what you can do is in the video settings dialog just choose a lower resolution (say 320x240) and disable the stretch option, that works really well if your gfx/monitor do that still

Stezo2k

S-2K
it may be the the display frequency in Hz, but it's a possiblity it may be due to nvidia filtering (most likely)

OP
P

PCB

Well putting full screen mode in 320 X 240 and turning off "stretch buffer to entire screen" did the trick! Thanks Jabo.

Also turning off the "eight pixel clipping" seemed to help some of the distortion i was getting. There is still some though. Anyways, thanks again.

smegforbrain

PCB said:
Also turning off the "eight pixel clipping" seemed to help some of the distortion i was getting. There is still some though. Anyways, thanks again.

There are any number of games that JNes has minor issues with when running, but not too many that I recall that need the clipping setting dealt with. :)

Adaman

I'm having a problem with Full screen blurriness as well...i can't use supereagle mode with full screen, it only works in the windowed version. As soon as i go to Full screen it gets all blurry again. Anyway around this?