What's new

Making a CD in Windows that an old Mac can read?

Lizard Blade

Ok, I've got a CD-RW drive in this computer, and I've been downloading a few old Mac games, which I run under the Basilisk II emulator. Now I've got an old Apple 68040 in the basement(no internet connection), with a CD-ROM drive, and very little installed on it. Is there a way, via Basilisk II or some other program, that I can make a CD the older computer can read?
Performa 630CD-
33mhz 68040
8Mb RAM
256Mb HD
Mac OS 7.5
2x CD-ROM drive

Flash

Technomage
Lizard Blade said:
Ok, I've got a CD-RW drive in this computer, and I've been downloading a few old Mac games, which I run under the Basilisk II emulator. Now I've got an old Apple 68040 in the basement(no internet connection), with a CD-ROM drive, and very little installed on it. Is there a way, via Basilisk II or some other program, that I can make a CD the older computer can read?
Performa 630CD-
33mhz 68040
8Mb RAM
256Mb HD
Mac OS 7.5
2x CD-ROM drive

You can try to make 700Mb HFS file (*.hfv) with HFVExplorer, fill it with whatever you want and burn that file as mode1/2048 image (you can
rename it to *.iso or select it in Nero as "any file"

BTW you don't have to make it 700Mb - any size not bigger than CD-R size is ok.
Just tried to create 30Mb HFS file, copied minimal MacOS 8.1 system folder and burned a CDRW - i was able to boot from it.
Nothing special, just plain magic :)

Also you can install ISO9660 and Joliet support extensions and read PC CDs on your Mac
Yo can also format/read/write 1.44Mb Mac floppies with HFVExplorer.

P.S. You can replace your 2x CD-ROM with any newer SCSI CD-ROM or CD-RW drive.
You can also add more memory, AFAIK Performa 630 uses ordinary 72pin SIMMs.

There's no problem with any SCSI-2 Ultra HDD (My Quadra950 - 128Mb RAM, 2x 4.3G IBM DCAS-4330 HDDs)