What's new

Whats A Good Video Card?

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
Tell me some suggestions for a good video card! I need one that runs smoothly with high FPS at high resolutions.....plz tell me some suggestions.... im looking for a video card that is under 500$ and my processor is AMD Athlon(tm) Processor.

jollyrancher

Performance-wise, the Radeon 9800 is great, but since this a PJ64 forum, I'd say get a Geforce if you're big into N64 emulation because Jabo's video plugin, which is currently the best, was developed on, and works best with Geforces.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yes but glN64 works better on Radeons at the moment ^_^ And the Radeons are better for everything else.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
Yes but glN64 works better on Radeons at the moment ^_^ And the Radeons are better for everything else.

It seems geforces and Radeons are having problems with glN64 .41. It's too subjective at the moment to declare which video card actually runs better with gln64 .41. As for the better at everything else remark. That's also subjective.

Both nvidia and ati cards have their pros and cons. It's not one dominating the other.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

Yeah, they both have pros and cons... I think you get more speed for the dollar with Radeons, but the Radeons tend to have more video driver issues... I haven't updated my Geforce drivers in a year and haven't had any card-specific gfx glitches with any games.

scotty

The Great One
I think that GeForces are better for N64 emulation because it is what Jabo and Rice use, and they are the authors of the 2 best plugins.

It would be best to get a GeForce4 and above depending on exactly how much you want to spend. Make sure that your Processor is fast enough, Video is one thing, but you have to have a decent processor as well (1.3 Ghz should run almost all games).

scotty

The Great One
as I said Graphics cards are required to process the graphics, but you need a half decent processor for ANY graphics card. That is you can play many games with a 850MHz processor, but for higher up games like Perfect dark; you will need a 1.3GHz to play it

HigherHeat

Grand Marquee
Try the Nvidia GeForce2 and above. You can probably find one for under $150 at the tigerdirect website.

I recommend the Geforce4 with TV out! 933Mhz CPU and above should be good. :pj64:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The Radeon 9800 Pro is better than the FX 5900.

Yeah, they both have pros and cons... I think you get more speed for the dollar with Radeons, but the Radeons tend to have more video driver issues... I haven't updated my Geforce drivers in a year and haven't had any card-specific gfx glitches with any games.

I disagree. The only driver issue I've had with my Radeon since I got it, is that when I first installed Catalyst 3.4, no AF or AA settings would ever stick.

And lately the GeForce FX series driver has sucked... though apparently nVidia is maintaining quality on the previous cards.

If you want a GeForce Anything I recommend the Ti4200. nVidia's last truly great product.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
The Radeon 9800 Pro is better than the FX 5900.
And lately the GeForce FX series driver has sucked...

Why is it better? In emulation? Driver Features? :yawn:

:huh: I'd have to disagree with you about the current drivers. The dets 45.23 are working quite well on my Fx5900u with emulators and my PC games.

jollyrancher

if i have radeon 9800 pro do i need a decent proccessor?

Well the fact you're asking means that you probably don't have a new P4 or something. If that's true, you shouldn't spend $300+ on a gfx card when your cpu is going to be a bottleneck like it might with N64 emulators. You can get a Geforce3 for under $100 these days and I haven't played any games that it can't handle flawlessly.

OP
Player 1

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
what good geforce card would be good for me? (i got AMD Athlon 900 mhz) and my current video card is Geforce 2 MX 400

jollyrancher

Well here's the deal... you must be getting slow performance in some games or you wouldn't need to upgrade. What games are slow? For example, putting a Radeon 9800 in a 900mhz AMD still won't give you full silky-smooth speed on Perfect Dark or Goldeneye in PJ64... the cpu can't handle it.

OP
Player 1

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
im planning to upgrade my 900 mhz to 3.0 ghz......tell me what works better with my AMD Athlon? Geforce or Radeon? and is GeForce4 Ti 4800
any good?