What's new

Couple problems I'm having with the emulator...

Asmodeus

Most of the time the emulator works great, but I have a couple problems that I've run into -

1) It constantly crashes when I try to load a savestate. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, more like 90% :doh: This happens on every game, except for Ogre Battle 64, which it seems to load successfully each time. This is a stupid coincidence because....

2) I'm having severe problems with Ogre Battle 64. Yeah, I'm aware of the graphical errors, the black backgrounds and such. But those aren't the extent of my problems. On the chapter loading screens, where it shows that dragon thing with the blue haziness, the FPS slows to like 10-13 and it takes 1 minute to load up, when it should only take like 10 seconds. Furthermore, if I play the game for awhile, it starts to get really frickin' choppy, to the point where it is not enjoyable to play it at all. The choppiness is always in battle scenes, and the FPS and such slow down obviously.

Thanks in advance for any help you give me. I was hesitant to ask the Ogre Battle question, as I know you're aware of problems in the ROM, but so far the only problems I've seen brought to your attention were the black backgrounds and a couple other graphics errors. I can tolerate the backgrounds, but it's the immense slowdown and choppiness that ruins it...which is sad since Ogre Battle 64 is the only remotely close thing to an RPG that is worth playing on the N64 in my opinion.

Clements

-Save states are my arch-nemesis, they cause more problems than they are worth, and will cause crashing when overused. My suggestion is not to use them as much or not at all.

-I strongly advise a different graphics plugin. Odd slowdowns occur in many games with various plugins in many games for unknown reasons (or they would be fixed) This may be one of them, some one else who is into this game needs to verify the slowdown as it may be just another issue. glN64() IMO is far better than most with this game, as it has lots of 2D sprites that look great with 2XSAI filtering, and has better text than Jabo's plugin. Try that, as it may not slow down at the point you mentioned. If it still does, no worries, there are plenty of other plugins to try.

HigherHeat

Grand Marquee
:saint: Dont take this the wrong way, but maybe it's the AMD processor?

From experience, I can say that they are not as compatible as Intel processors with instruction handling. I've had programs design for Windows XP not work at all with AMD processors.

Just a thought! :party:

OP
A

Asmodeus

I am using the glNintendo64 plugin. Although it is an improvement over Jabo's for this game, I'm still getting the severe slowdown and eventual choppiness. I'll try a couple other plugins to see what works.

By the way...is there any chance that the slowdowns and stuff just has to do with the game not being emulated correctly yet?