What's new

UltraHLE alive?

Martin

Administrator
Well, it seems so. RealityMan has updated the UltraHLE.com website for the first time in a few years so this could mean something. RM informs us he's working on UltraHLE once again, after finding some CDs with old dev code. Here's a snippet from his most recent post (he did the first one yesterday):

<font class=post_quote>Ok, so what I have got so far. The code I have salvaged is fairly close to the original 1.0.0 release but with about 40% of the Glide to OpenGL code migration completed. What I am working on over the next couple of days is to examine the source and begin to strip out all the unused or surplus code. This will make the source cleaner and reduce some of the redevelopment time required. I have already cleaned up the cartridge loading code, stripped out disk memory mapping and have begun work on cleaning up and optimising the debugger. I have already been asked about whether I will be using plug-ins or not for graphics, sound, controllers etc. and decided before the question that those elements would stay native within the emulator to provide a more optimised system.

[Update] Most of the initial work on the debug user interface is now completed and should be fully completed by the end of the day. Also, a few compiler warnings have been fixed on the cartridge and main emulation thread source code.</font>

Check out the full posts at Ultrahle.com. Thanks to passive for letting me know on IRC.

alexa999

Banned
Nice man, great!!! UltraHLE was the first N64 emulator I used!!! Very glad that it is getting continued!!! :D :D :D :D :D

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
"I would like to request, however, that developers not use the UltraHLE name in any emulator using the 'old' leaked UltraHLE source code. As copyright owner I reserve the right to retain the name. I am more than happy for those emulators to continue development but under different names with a published context that they are 'based' on the original UltraHLE code."
~from the UltraHLE.com site

uh-oh, UltraHLE 2064 ;)

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
I'm sorry to say this, but i'm no that pleased with the return of RealityMan. I mean, what's the point on continuing he alone UltraHLE when there is the UltraHLE 2064? Wouldnt be better if he joined the UltraHLE 2064 team?

I'm just getting tired of having 1000 versions of UltraHLE.

Quvack

Johann said:
I'm sorry to say this, but i'm no that pleased with the return of RealityMan. I mean, what's the point on continuing he alone UltraHLE when there is the UltraHLE 2064? Wouldnt be better if he joined the UltraHLE 2064 team?

I'm just getting tired of having 1000 versions of UltraHLE.

Uhm well if he wants to continue his one one then go for it, I look forward to seeing if he actually produces something this time.

1000 versions of UltraHLE, theres like 4 all up UltraHLE/SupraHLE/UhleAlpha/UltraHLE 2064.

As for him joining the uhle2064 team... rotflmfao!

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
As I posted at EMuHelp when I saw the news
I can't believe that this news is making its way around. What happened when RM made his last 'UltraHLE Revival' chant? A few screen shots, an INI and a piss-off good-bye? (Rhymes make me happy).

Good job RM, hype up some more and keep pissing me off.

Also about the UltraHLE name copyrighted doesn't mean shit; if he had done anything were anyone could be legally in trouble the big 'N' would have been able to get his personal information and come down on him like a ton of bricks. RM, get Epilson back and then you'll get my interest.

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Don't get your hopes up, because when they fall, that's when they hurt most. I'm very excited to see RM back, but I won't be too hopeful until there's a reason to be. It looks like he'll have a bit of catching up to do, but I'm not worried seeing as how he was like the pioneer of N64 emulation. It will add a little more life to the scene in my opinion, and hopefully he'll be able to add just as much now, as in the past.

And about the name copywrite, well, he may not be able to legally do anything about others using it, but I would think that the respect b/t the authors of emulators would be high enough to simply change a name. It wouldn't kill them to do so, seeing as how it was RM's and Epsilon's project in the first place. But that's all up to the authors.

(Side note, I'm on no ones side here, just happy to see some new activity)

Remote

Not sure about this but RM is behind a very small part of uHLE, Epsilon was the talent and creativity in the project. But still kind of exiting, I definitely don't think that he'll release a better v of uHLE then the 2064 team, a lot of talent in there, but it's good to see that there's still interest in n64...

ector

Emulator Developer
Yeah, who cares about RealityMan and his little revivals.. Epsilon was the man behind most of this emulator, RealityMan basically did the GUI, if my sources are correct..

Remote

When giving it a little thought I have to agree with Macca, a lot of time has passed since the 1st and only release and perhaps RM has picked ut a trick or two in that time, so this could turn out good.

Yeah, I would love to see Corn updated but even if ContraSF put a lot of work into it it would be a very steep mountain to climb to reach where emus are today.

Knuckles

cool, I didn't expected that at all!
a Glide to OpenGL code migration ? great, don't need glide wrapper anymore :)

CooL

Emulation Freak
Come on, don't be so negative about it.
I remember the times when I use to visit ultrahle.com every 2 hours, to see if RM would release UltraHLE. This was just before the nasty 'I deleted all my UltraHLE sources' message.
Nice times. Who knows, maybe he will deliver this time.

I love Corn too :)

I think this version will near the speeds of corn because no glide-wrapper + optimized speed (?) = very much fun. I also hope the compatibility will increase with big steps.