What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

OP
H

hurleybird

nice, nice... I might have a look and see if i can help out too.

BTW, perhaps this topic should be stickied?

Last edited:

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Sorry, I didnt' want to seem rude with the sand :p

Rice, I create the directories inside \hires_textures\ and put in them the new PNG32 textures, but they don't work. Am I doing anything wrong (again :blush: )??

Btw, both features (directories for each game and support for PNG32 are simply great :D)

Rice

Emulator Developer
Check your folder name. It must be named exactly as the game name. Other than this, I don't have idea. You have to figure it out. You can post the image here if you need helps.

You probably need read my previous emails again.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Oops, I think that I forgot to rename every texture due to the CRC changes you made ^_^U. I'll have to check it. Thanks

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
This is pretty awesome stuff...great work Rice! I had actually thought of this (in a far-off "what if" sorta way) a few months back, but never actually tried it out.

Heh, this might be enough motivation for me to get back to work on Direct64 so I can implement this...hey Rice, is your CRC calculation still the same as in your last source release? If I do implement this, it'd be best if Direct64 could use the same textures that people make for your plugin, so I'd need to make the same CRC calculations...

Rice

Emulator Developer
Orkin

There is only 1 line change in the CRC code. You can go ahead with the last source code and I will email the change to you later.

boodle

Is it possible to replace models as well? I would think this would be more complex than textures (if not plain impossible), but I don't know how the n64 is set up. Do some functions of the game depend on the number of vertices? Does collision detection depend on the specific model, or does it just check to see if one model is touching another? If models could be replaced, the possibilities for enhancement would be pretty much limitless.

I'm using the Nemu64 (combine debug) driver with 1964 to get the images. Should I be using something else? They all turn out upside down, but the ones that everyone else is using are right side up. Is this just a difference between Rice's plugin and the debug driver?

I'm starting to work on some Mario Kart texture replacements. I'm modeling the characters/objects in blender then rendering the frames for the game (since much of the Mario Kart graphics are actually billboards). Here's my first attempt (it's an upside-down tree if it's not obvious):

Last edited:

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
PNG vs TGA

AFAIK, PNG is better than TGA. At least a blank pic weights less in PNG than in TGA (around 600% less).

For more info follow the link.

PNG

Federelli

Beta Tester
A TGA is completelly uncompressed, and when zipped (compression data), it weights the same as a .png (whic compresses image information).
So TGA is trully losless.

Rice

Emulator Developer
PNG is completely lossless. PNG files support compression internally. By using PNG format, you don't need to compress the files. In fact, PNG use the same compression as gunzip.

I don't see a need to use TGA format.

Btw, JPEG is a different story. JPEG uses lossy compression. For large images, JPEG files are significantly smaller.

Glurak

umm a PNG is truly lossless it uses zlib for compression which in fact is deflate which is the same as used in zip compression so 100% lossless

you won't even get better compressions by zipping multiple tgas together since zip can't create solid archives so tgas have not a single advantage over pngs (ok uncompressed tgas take less time to load but there are both compressed tgas and uncompressed pngs if you wish :))

edit ^^ ... too slow ^^

knowitman

I guess you could possibly get better results if you put them in a rar archive that has a solid archive, but it would slow things down.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Ohh boy, I must be doing something wrong. I ripped a lot of textures from Conker, and have been editing some. I did everything there correctly as far as I can see, and the textures will not load in the game. They use the original textures. :\

Rice

Emulator Developer
Did you put the texture files you have edited to the correct folder under hires_texture folder?
Did you enable the LOAD option?

And try to read my instruction again. You may have missed something.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Rice said:
Did you put the texture files you have edited to the correct folder under hires_texture folder?
Did you enable the LOAD option?

And try to read my instruction again. You may have missed something.

Alrighty then, let's see..

3. Loading high resolution textures
a. If LOAD option is enabled, the plugin will try to load it when corresponding texture is used
in the game.

b. LOAD option can be enabled/disabled during the game play

c. All high resolution textures must be placed under folder:
"[your_emulator_main_folder]\plugin\hires_texture\[current game name]\"

d. [current game name] must match the N64 game internal name

e. Under the [current game name] folder, subfolders can be created and textures can be placed
into the subfolders. The plugin will search all the subfolders recursively. Subfolders can help
to manage all the textures.

f. File files and format:
In general, high resolution files to be loaded must follow the same filenames as dumpped.

- Color indexed textures must be still in palletted BMP format
- For RGBA, IA and I textures, you can provide
*_rgb.png, *_a.png or
*_rgb.bmp, *_a.bmp or
*_all.png
- Don't provide duplicate files for the same textures. If you provide the *_rgb, *_a files
and also *_all.png file, the actually loaded files are not determined.

A: Check, it's enabled.
B: Enabled. :p
C: 1964\099\Plugin\hires_texture\CONKER BFD
D: Same name the plugin gave the folder for the dumping. :\
E: I've tried them inside the "Buttons" folder I created, and outside. Nither worked.
F: This is the part I get confused. I keep them as the same name, right?

As the texture Example:

- CONKER BFD#2BBF5136#0#3_all.bmp

Would stay:

- CONKER BFD#2BBF5136#0#3_all.bmp

Or become .png? I've tried both to no luck, but I probably screwed up on that step.