What's new

Perfect emulator

RN1

If you buy Legend of Zelda for Gamecube you get a bonus disc with Ocarina of Time and Master quest (Nintendo 64 games). I was wondering if Nintendo put roms of these games on their mini disc and an emulator to play them. If they did this they must have their own emulator for Nintendo 64. If someone could extract the informatiton from the bonus disc we might find a perfect emulator which Nintendo made. I heard that some people have ISO's of Gamecube games, so if someone could check the bonus disc there might be an emulator inside?

Does anyone know anyhting about this?

Allnatural

Such an emulator would be "perfect" as you say for Zelda only. Not to mention that it's designed solely for use in the Gamecube (hardware far different than the x86 platform), and we have no access to the source code.

In other words, not likely.

Last edited:

Azimer

Emulator Developer
It is not run on an emulator. They just included the N64 code as well (for some reason). That is my understanding.

Why would they need to emulate it?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I'm 90% sure it's emulated. Why else would the Master Quest ROM exist?

It would also explain the somewhat comical subscreen graphics. Everything downsamples to a lower resolution and colour depth when the subscreen is loaded. If they reprogrammed the game, why would that be necessary? Even PC emulators don't have that problem.

If you don't believe me, next time you play MQ, make sure something colourful is on the bottom or top edge of the screen, and maybe some aliased edges, and open the subscreen.

Now, the catch is, it probably ISN'T a "perfect N64 emulator". Keep in mind that UltraHLE was running OoT almost perfectly right away, and that is hardly perfect N64 emulation.

I suspect that HLE is the reason Majora's Mask wasn't included in the bonus disc - a curious omission, considering that the general code isn't too different from OoT, though it's a lot more demanding on the hardware.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
The framebuffer effect in the start menu is low res too. In any case there is NO such thing as a perfect emulator.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Imgema said:
Who said that OoT is perfect on Gamecube?
I dont see any lens flare effect!

You don't see that effect when playing on a real Gamecube? or, Did you mean that effect is not there when playing OoT MC on an emulator?