What's new

Sharing Cable Internet on a Wireless Network- How?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I'm moving in with a buddy of mine and he has Cable Internet. I'd like to set up a wireless network and share the internet connection over it. I have no experience with wireless networks so I wanted some suggestions.

We have Comcast cable internet. The modem has a cable input and a ethernet output, as well as a USB v2.0 output. I have XP Home and he has Windows 98.

Security isn't much of a concern to us, but we'd like to not spend too much. ;)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
EdgeBlade said:
I'm moving in with a buddy of mine and he has Cable Internet. I'd like to set up a wireless network and share the internet connection over it. I have no experience with wireless networks so I wanted some suggestions.

I use this.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Also, for any network, you usually get the best results when both systems are running the same OS, my dad's office has a couple comps networked, and one is on XP and the other is on ME, and they have troubles now and then because of the OS difference.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Well thats because ME is garbage.

I have a laptop running WinXP, 2 desktops running Win2k, a desktop on Win98se and another desktop running Gentoo Linux/Win2K and all except for the gentoo/win2k computer are on a wireless connection.

I'm running on 2 Orinoco slivers in the 2k boxes, an SMC2435W in the laptop, and the desktop on Win98se has an SMC2402W.

The wireless router I have is the SMC2404WBR.

They're all connected via dhcp and the router setup up the server.

The orinoco pcmcia devices cost me $45 CND
the 2 PCI to pcmcia adapters code me $35 CND
The SMC wireless pcmcia card code me $60CND
and the router was $80CND

But that was 6 months ago so it should cost like 30% less.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
EdgeBlade said:
Thanks for the suggestions, now I just need to wait to get paid... :)

Since you haven't established any wifi infrastructure yet, you may as well start with g instead of b, its worth the extra few bucks.