What's new

need a little help with a hard drive

gokuss4

Meh...
ok i have 2 hard drives, both maxtors, and my C drive, is fine, cause its at UDMAmode-4 (ata/66), but my D drive maxtor only runs at UDMAmode-2(ata/33), but i know my d drive supports mode-4 because they're almost the exact same hard drive, but one has like only 6 more mb of space then eachother... so can anyone help me? :sleeping: oh yeah i forgot to mention at the startup of my computer, it reads them both as UltraDMA Mode-4 status OK

dmac2003

Hardcore Tails fan
I guess Windows may not always be right about Drive Capacity or it maybe different compression methods i dunno

dmac2003

Hardcore Tails fan
Yeah but would it work on a standard cd-rom/dvd drive? I heard some how it did work on a dvd drive i dunno I ain't that good at this stuff

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
gokuss4 said:
ok i have 2 hard drives, both maxtors, and my C drive, is fine, cause its at UDMAmode-4 (ata/66), but my D drive maxtor only runs at UDMAmode-2(ata/33), but i know my d drive supports mode-4 because they're almost the exact same hard drive, but one has like only 6 more mb of space then eachother... so can anyone help me? :sleeping: oh yeah i forgot to mention at the startup of my computer, it reads them both as UltraDMA Mode-4 status OK

Its probably because you have that second hard drive plugged parallel into the same IDE channel as something else like a CD/DVD drive. When you have two IDE devices plugged into the same channel, they both only go as fast as the slowest device, thats just the way parallel ATA has to work. It may benefit you to put both of those hard disks on the primary IDE channel, and put your optical drive on the secondary IDE channel.

Better yet, just tell me exactly how you have all of your fixed IDE disks plugged in right now. e.g.

primary master: my 120 gig HDD
primary slave: my 40 gig HDD
secondary master: DVD +/- R/RW
secondary slave: nada

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I devised my own procedure for dma problems:

1) Update your IDE Drivers, whatever chipset your board uses download them.

links:
VIA Chipsets: http://www.viaarena.com/
SIS Chipsets: http://www.sis.com/

2) Check your IDE cables, if you're having dma problems thats likely to be the cause of a problem.

for example, with dma on i couldn't copy certain files from my cd rom, changed my ide cable and all was well

thats all i've got at the moment i'm afraid... :p

dmac2003

Hardcore Tails fan
How did you get it to do that? The only reason I want to use DMA Mode on my CD-rw or CD-rom drive is so it will run much faster (Atleast, that what I heard some where...)

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
my ata cable for my 2 hard drives are plugged in the same plugin... 'IDE-O' while my CD ROM alone is plugged into IDE-1 so im fine on that part. perhaps i should update my IDE drivers.

OP
G

gokuss4

Meh...
thanks guys, its all good now, and thanks for SiS links, i needed to download more drivers for my mobo. i have an ECS K75SA based on the SiS 735 chipset.