What's new

Hi , its me again and I have more info and some question about the false VirusDetect?

Is this a real virus or fake one

• Why do a freeware program detect a virus other virus programs do not detected like for example McAfe

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • You think that emulators should come with freeware virus program links for in case of a virus?

• You think people should look at emulators more less of a treat to real system?but how the user uses

• Off topic : Was the emulator named ultrahle really end because of users emailing him for roms or did

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

robzcool

Ok, first off the download the project64.exe file from this site
http://pj64.emulation64.com/iedefault.htm

and this is the file which it detected a virus in http://pj64.emulation64.com/files/pj64_1_5.exe

and it says that it Contains code of the Windows virus W32/CTX

know for question what is a W32/CTX virus anyway? that things does one of these virus do anyway?

because when using either 1964 and project 64 and using jabo video plugin either jabo (directx version 7 and directx version 6 ) I have too of those plugins still and was this weird little icon in the upper left side of the screen, I was playing a game on my dad's laptop computer and I notice this icon that I don't ever remember seeing in this plugin before, also the virus is not detected in the new file named pj64_1_5_SP1 just only detected in the old file pj64_1_5.exe from this site http://pj64.emulation64.com and yes and download it again from the same site and the virus detecting program called AntiVir Personal Edition still detectes this program that is has a W32/CTX virus stored in it and also when uncompress it detects the virus in the orginal project64.exe file it reads it having a W32/CTX Virus but the patch update seems to be clean of a virus but even with the SP1 patch installed afterwords it still detects this virus type.

so my next question is project64 clean of a virus and is this detecting a virus a real one or is it really a fake virus that is being detected in both the compress file and uncompress one?

the freeware program called AntiVir Personal Edition can be found at http://www.hbedv.com/

next I will paste the log scan of the project64.exe file from the virus scaning program under this

AntiVir®/XP (2000 + NT) Personal Edition v6.20.14.31 of 02.06.2003
VDF file v6.20.0.32 (0) of 07.07.2003

This program is for PERSONAL USE only.
Any other use is PROHIBITED.
Informations regarding commercial versions of AntiVir may be obtained from:
www.hbedv.com.

Scanning for 74557 virus strains and unwanted programs.

Licensed for: AntiVir Personal Edition
Serial number: 0000149996-ADJIE-0001
FUSE: Basic license

Please enter the workstation and
contact name with phone number in this form:

Company ___________________________________________

Department ___________________________________________

Name ___________________________________________

Street ___________________________________________

Town ___________________________________________

Phone/Fax ___________________________________________

EMail ___________________________________________

Platform: Windows NT Workstation
Windows version: 5.1 Build 2600 (Service Pack 1)
Username: Robert
Processor: Pentium
Working memory: 523764 KB free

Version information:
AVEWIN32.DLL : v6.20.0.1 266240 17.06.2003 14:51:30
AVGNT.EXE : v6.20.01.02 118824 22.05.2003 12:04:40
AVGUARD.EXE : v6.20.00.04 180264 16.05.2003 14:20:46
GUARDMSG.DLL : v6.20.00.04 90152 16.05.2003 14:20:46
AVGCMSG.DLL : v6.19.05.04 241704 22.05.2003 12:04:38
AVGNTDD.SYS : v6.20.03.00 39320 15.05.2003 08:45:50
AVPACK32.DLL : v6.20.00.04 409640 08.05.2003 08:41:34
AVGETVER.DLL : v6.15.00.00 73728 31.10.2002 16:18:56
AVWIN.DLL : v6.20.00.03 553000 20.05.2003 10:36:38
AVSHLEXT.DLL : v6.15.00.00 57344 20.08.2002 11:50:04
AVSched32.EXE : v6.15.00.00 106536 19.08.2002 11:58:20
AVSched32.DLL : v6.15.00.00 122880 19.08.2002 11:58:20
AVREG.DLL : v6.19.00.00 41000 21.03.2003 15:10:52
AVRep.DLL : v6.20.00.14 245800 03.07.2003 11:25:48
CTL3D32.DLL : v2.31.000 27136 23.08.2001 12:00:00
MFC42.DLL : v6.00.8665.0 995383 23.08.2001 12:00:00
MSVCRT.DLL : v7.0.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920
MSVCRT.DLL : v7.0.2600.1106 323072 29.08.2002 03:41:08
CTL3DV2.DLL : No information

Configuration file:

Name of configuration file: C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWIN.INI
Name of report file: C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWIN.LOG
Start path: C:\Program Files\AVPersonal
Command line: /S*H*L="C:\Documents and Settings\Robert\Desktop\pj64_1_5.exe"
Start mode: Shell extension

Mode of report file:
[ ] Do not create report
[X] Overwrite report
[ ] Append new report

Data in report file:
[X] Infected files
[ ] Infected files with paths
[ ] All scanned files
[ ] Full information

Abridge report file:
[ ] Abridge report file

Warnings in report:
[X] Access denied/file locked
[X] Wrong file size in directory
[X] Wrong creation time in directory
[ ] COM file is too large
[X] Invalid start address
[X] Invalid EXE header
[X] Possibly damaged

Summary report:
[X] Create summary report
Output file: AVWIN.ACT
Maximum number of entries: 100

Where to search:
[X] Memory
[X] Boot record of selected drives
[ ] Report unknown boot sectors
[ ] All files
[X] Program files
Extensions: .386 .ACM .ADE .ADP .APP .ASP .AWX .AX .BAT .BIN .CDF .CHM .CLASS .CMD .CNV .COM .CPL .CSH .DLL .DLO .DO? .DRV .EML .EXE .FLT .FOT .HLP .HT* .INF .INI .INS .ISP .JS .JSE .LNK .MD? .MDB .MOD .MS? .NWS .OBJ .OCX .OLB .OSD .OV? .PDR .PGM .PIF .PKG .POT .PPS .PPT .PRG .RPL .RTF .SCR .SCRIPT .SCT .SH .SHA .SHB .SHS .SHTM* .SPL .SWF .SYS .TLB .TSP .TTF .VB? .VLM .VXD .VXO .WIZ .WLL .WPC .WSC .WSF .WSH .WWK .XL? .XML

Response in case of a detection:
[X] Repair with prompt
[ ] Repair without prompt
[ ] Delete with prompt
[ ] Delete without prompt
[ ] Write in report file only
[X] Acoustic alarm

Response in case of destroyed files:
[X] Delete with prompt
[ ] Delete without prompt
[ ] Ignore

Response in case of destroyed files:
[X] No change
[ ] Current system time
[ ] Correct date

Suspicious macros:
[ ] Delete all suspicious macros
[ ] Delete all macros if one is suspicious
[X] Confirm action

Convert template:
[ ] Never
[ ] Only .DOC files
[X] Always
[ ] Confirm
[X] Compress format table

Drag&drop settings:
[X] Scan subdirectories

Profile settings:
[X] Scan subdirectories

Archive options
[X] Search archive
[X] All archive types

Miscellaneous options:
Temporary path: %TEMP% -> C:\DOCUME~1\Robert\LOCALS~1\Temp
[X] Overwrite infected files
[ ] Detect idle time
[X] Allow interruptions of scan
[X] Load AVWin®/NT Guard on System start

General settings:
[X] Save options on exiting AntiVir
Priority: medium

Start of scan: 09.07.2003 01:04

Memory test OK
Master boot record of hard disk HD0 OK
Master boot record of hard disk HD1 OK
Boot record of drive C: OK
Boot record of drive C: OK

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ROBERT\DESKTOP
PJ64_1_5.EXE
ArchiveType: RAR SFX (self extracting)
--> Project64.exe
Contains code of the Windows virus W32/CTX

End of scan: 09.07.2003 01:04
Time taken: 00:01 min

0 directories were scanned
15 files were scanned
0 warning messages were issued
0 files were deleted
0 files were repaired
1 detection

and just to yet you know I have the virus scaning program updated to the newest version that their currently is.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This is FAKE! There is no virus if you download pj64 off the official site. That anti-virus program is lying to you.
Oh and btw, that's an email virus. You probably got infected by it after opening or did something to an email.

Last edited:

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Also Norton and McAfee are two of the best out there, and definitely better than some little freeware. So if there had been a virus in PJ64 it would have caught them.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it's possible that i had a virus when i packaged up the 1.5 release but no way did i, it would have been found a million times by now. this is a false positive that (one?) not very good virus checker throws up. try different scanners and you'll get nothing. more to the point.. pj64 won't do anything bad to your system :p

it's just some of the code in jabo's devlishly complex video plugin matching on a not- very good heuristic scanner.

My95ZR2

QUOTE:
/QUOTE:

Um...me thinks you need to "*" out that serial number...

Admins?

Adam

OP
R

robzcool

/QUOTE:
Hi about this serial number thing I do not pay for this program , I am using it as freeware and I am not sure why their is a serial number for a freeware program because at no time did I have to register or anything like that for this program . its freeware not shareware, and I think this number does not really mean anything I think all the freeware ones should have the same number right , I use this for home use only and I did not pay for this software because its freeware.

so whats the point in the serial number in the first place if its freeware for home users?

OP
R

robzcool

it's just some of the code in jabo's devlishly complex video plugin matching on a not- very good heuristic scanner.

ok about this the scanner did not detect the virus in the jabo's plugin , I just thought it was weird that their was a small icon at one point in the top left side of the screen when playing a game with jabos plugin and yes even thought I saw this I think the jabo plugin is better than the other ones as of right now but only time will tell if they ever come out with a better video codec than jabo's one.

just to make thing a little more clean , the scanner detected the virus in the project64.exe compress file and the uncompress project64.exe file, so at no time did the scanner detect the fake or unfake virus in the jabo plugin that seems to be clean from viruses.

also about it maybe from email, I did at one time get a weird thing happening with my msn 8 copy under the email thing, as acting weird but that problem just went away, but it seems that msn 8 is having problems , sometimes it seems to lose the info on the phone numbers if you try and access it from the setting in msn 8 and refresh or change the modem dialing numbers it can't find them at times and the current number from home vashes sometimes , anyone else have this problem?is seems to be a really big bug because it happen to me and my dads computer more than one time,
if you get a update msn 8 cd in the mail , do you use it? , do people send fake msn 8 cds to people in the mail to cause problems to their msn access? or internet acesss programs ,

has anyone else had the problem with msn 8 where you cannot change or update the dialing numbers? at some point thing are working ok and the next time you install or reinstall it does not work ok. meaning I don't always have this problem with msn but it happens more times than I would like it too, its a hard thing to fix when it does happen I tryed editing out the msn settings by deling them in the regedit program before installing msn also it seems to pick up this problem when install directx 9 not directx 9a that one seems not to get this problem but also on my dad pc he had to reinstall windows xp pro on his system and reactive the xp but he did not update directx to 9 , he had 8.1 on his computer when msn 8 lost the dailing numbers in the setting and the update and changing number thing did not work right , so whats going on with msn anyway to cause these type of problems?

OP
R

robzcool

About the poll thing

I thought it would be funny to add a poll to this , just wanting it do it for the fun of it anyway.

Martin

Administrator
It's *not* a virus. If you had downloaded it from some unserious geocities page or similar it could contain virus, but the official site only has clean files.

rofl...starting a poll about users opinion if it's a virus or not? :D

Clements

robzcool (in the poll) said:
edit these questions if you what too make them better, go ahead if you what too , I know my polls have been edited before on some other sites I posted polls on in the past

Why am I not surprised by that? :happy:

rodneythecat

I have the same program. Assumed it was false positive. But i would not put anymore confidence in norton or McAfee than this program and i've had both. Thats why i changed. started not to trust them. AVG either.:down:

Status
Not open for further replies.