What's new

problem with gentoo and "emerge sync"

mesman00

What's that...?
i just finished a gentoo install a while ago, and didn't get the chance to set anything up until now. when i try to update my portage tree by typing "emerge sync" i get the following error:

rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failue in name resolution
rsync error: error in socket 10 (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

i first got this error when i tried to do it at my aparment, and i thought maybe the network is behind a firewall that wasn't allowing me to do it. so, i brought my computer home where i know the connection is not behind a firewall, and i got the same exact error.

also, if i try to emerge any apps, like xfree for example, i get this error

Resolving distro.ibiblio.org...host not found

i get this error with ever host it tries to resolve. is there a problem with my network setup? i was able to merge everything fine during the install, and when loading gentoo eth0 is brought up fine. any help would be appreciated

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Add this to the bottom of your make.conf and try again:

Code:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/gentoo/ [url]http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/gentoo/[/url] [url]ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo[/url] ftp://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/pub/gentoo/"

If that allows you to do an emerge sync, run these commands to optimize your download speed:

Code:
emerge mirrorselect && mirrorselect -a -s4

Last edited:

Slougi

I don't think what alphawolf suggested will change anything since it seems to have problems resolving the, not connecting. Try pinging via IP, if that works you need to add a nameserver (or more) to /etc/resolv.conf. If not, something in /etc/conf.d/net is misconfigured.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
yep, i needed to add the nameserver...figured that out but forgot to delete the post. oh well thanks anyways guys.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
nevermind...still having problems. the nameservers are in /etc/resolv.conf. when i try to ping a web-site it just sits there, doesn't do anything. what should i look for in /etc/conf.d/net that could be misconfigured

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
*cough* still need help...still no reply at the gentoo forums either *cough*

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Slougi said:
I don't think what alphawolf suggested will change anything since it seems to have problems resolving the, not connecting. Try pinging via IP, if that works you need to add a nameserver (or more) to /etc/resolv.conf. If not, something in /etc/conf.d/net is misconfigured.

I had the exact same problem he had though, and I fixed it by pointing to a different rsync server which worked. The reason why is because a name server somewhere along the line (not at my ISP) was down at the time, and that specific server had issues resolving for some reason. I figured maybe he ran into the same thing.

mesman00 said:
*cough* still need help...still no reply at the gentoo forums either *cough*

Perhapse you set your net configs to static and your lease changed on ya? Just a guess, happened to me once and I never bothered to look at it until after I spent a long time troubleshooting :)

Last edited: