Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Warrior for God The Khan Artist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ATi frame buffer read speeds

Well, Pete just updated his PSX GPU plugins with a special "ATi release", and here is an exceprt from the changelog:

# Now I started up several psx games which are known to use framebuffer textures/framebuffer access. Nice: in OpenGL the framebuffer texture option works very fast on ATI cards (at least on the R9700 Pro). But the framebuffer access (reading vram to system memory) has an horrible speed... at least 5 times slower than my old GF3. I've tried all kind of different color formats, and read through the ATI OpenGL extension specs, but no luck: slow. So I decided to do a new 'special game fix' (I should rename that section into 'special hardware fixes', it seems), calling it 'Mixed software FB access'. What does it do? It minimizes the real vram reading to a minimum, whenever the 'framebuffer access' modes 1 (reads), 2 (moves) and 3 (read&moves) are used, and uses software drawing instead. Unlike the FB access mode 4 (full software drawing) it will not use the soft funcs all the time, only if they are really needed, when a psx game is doing such special effects.

# Then I moved on to the D3D plugins... didn't expect much problems, but then I noticed an horrible slowdown with 'FB access' and even with 'FB textures'. Well, I did know that my D3D code to emulate such effects were optimized for older (DX6/7) hardware, but I never suspected that newer ATI cards were choking that bad at it. Anyway, since the new OGL plugin is working really nice on new cards, I didn't change anything with the D3D code, I just added the new 'Mixed software FB access' special game fix as well. Therefore: if you want to play psx games with my plugins with an ATI card, I suggest to use the OGL plugin. If (for whatever reasons) you want to use one of the D3D plugins, you should at least enable the new fix, and set the 'FB textures' option to 3 (card buffer + software), never to 2 (card buffer).
    I thought I read something that with recent driver updates, the Radeon 9700 Pro was about 5 times faster than anything else at copying framebuffer to system memory. So is it really not? Or is Pete doing something wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's odd. Even the pre-battle swirly effects in some games (Tales of Phantasia and Final Fantasy IX come to mind) stay at 59.9FPS on my Radeon 9500 Pro, using Pete's D3D6 older version. He must be doing something wrong... or maybe it's just one of ATi's famous driver bugs (tm).
    -Tagrineth, flying above at the speed of an African swallow, because European swallows are wimps!

'What happen ?' 'Somebody set up us the bomb.' 'We get signal.' 'What !' 'Main screen turn on.' 'Its you !!' 'How are you Gentlemen?' 'All your base are belong to us.' 'You are on the way to destruction.' 'What you say !!' 'You have no chance to survive make your time.' 'Ha ha ha ha ....' 'Captain !!' 'Take off every 'ZIG' !!' 'You know what you doing.' 'Move 'ZIG'.' 'For great justice.'

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R Orkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've found framebuffer access to be very slow on my Radeon 9500 Pro while working on framebuffer stuff for glN64. I had heard it was faster too, but apparently either recent driver releases slowed it down again, or there never was any truth to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What drivers do both of you use? My All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro should be in today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With my M9 (Radeon 9000 equivalent,) I turned on full frame buffer emulation with Jabo's 1.5.1 while playing Majora's Mask. Not a single smidgen of a performance hit. How exactly does the card pull this off?
    "There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead." - George W. Bush

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What drivers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, should have said, they were the Dell A03 drivers. Guess that doesn't help you much, sorry...

EDIT: The cards can definetely do this, my ATI M4 did decent framebuffer reads with Jabo's 5 (not older), it's just bad driver fever over at ATI. I think the catalyst 3.1 drivers are the best at the moment, at least i've heard that, twice I think? Try Jabo's 5 and turn on frame buffer emulation (turn off emulate clear,) and see what happens. I think it's some special function that Jabo's uses, but i'm speculating.
    Last edited by nephalim; July 2nd, 2003 at 22:21.
    "There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead." - George W. Bush

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Catalyst 3.2 ran perfect, but I haven't tested anything with cat3.4 yet, and I don't have cat3.5 yet. Yay.
    -Tagrineth, flying above at the speed of an African swallow, because European swallows are wimps!

'What happen ?' 'Somebody set up us the bomb.' 'We get signal.' 'What !' 'Main screen turn on.' 'Its you !!' 'How are you Gentlemen?' 'All your base are belong to us.' 'You are on the way to destruction.' 'What you say !!' 'You have no chance to survive make your time.' 'Ha ha ha ha ....' 'Captain !!' 'Take off every 'ZIG' !!' 'You know what you doing.' 'Move 'ZIG'.' 'For great justice.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you guys with radeon mobility cards can use catalyst drivers.. u know that right? you dont have to depend on your OEM's to provide them..

http://rage3d.com/#1057069605

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have had no issues at all with the Dell drivers so far, and they seem pretty nice, they got all the options and controls for settings that are mobile exclusive.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast