What's new

would be grateful for help with changing a .rar file to a .z64 or .v64

everblessed

hi.....i would appreciate if anyone could help me to get a .rar file to work with pj64 , it says when i try to open the file i need to verify with goodn64, which i downloaded along with goodwindows and the bin files which i needed, the files where found and put in the n64ren file which said which is what should happen, but nothing seemed to have changed with the file and still not able to open it in pj64.

so i went to search for more help and was told to byteswap the file so i downloaded CKrename,tool64 and i followed the instructions which first told me to rename to file to .rom which i did, with curiosity getting better of me i tried to re-open in pj64, but no good:plain: , then it said to open the file in tool64 and byteswap to a z64 or v64 file , (sounded easy) but the tool64 didnt find my new .rom file. i am really stuck, and quickly in need for a wig.

help would be appreciated

karen (dumb blonde asking dumb question)

OP
E

everblessed

i just extract with the extraction tool it prompted me to extract with , which was WINrar as far as i know

i new to this sort of thing

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
everblessed said:
i just extract with the extraction tool it prompted me to extract with , which was WINrar as far as i know

i new to this sort of thing
.... try extracting again? .rar are archived files. Need winrar or winace or someother archiving program to extract them.

***got confused*** who told you to rename it to .rom? the instructions from one of the programs or from the site you got it from?

OP
E

everblessed

i re extracted it , i used WinRAR to extract it but still the same problem it extracts as a .rar file

but i have other files which where also extracted by WinRAR and they are in .z64 / .v64 or rom file which are all supported with pj64 it just keeps saying verify with Goodn64 which i did and it was put into the file which was recomended and it has the (!) mark in it just that pj64 just keeps saying the same everytime i try and open, none of the .rar files are found by pj64. i went onto goodwindows site for there help and i was given those instructions the site which i went to was http://www.smiff.clara.net/articles/managing_roms.htm#step1

i followed all the instructions on there but still no good :cry:

its driving me crazy been trying to sort it out for 4 days

Trotterwatch

If the Rar file extracted as a .rar file, then for some bizarre reason it could be a double rar'ed file. So try unraring that again. Ensure you are using the latest version of Winrar - older versions can have problems extracting files made with newer versions.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Trotterwatch said:
If the Rar file extracted as a .rar file, then for some bizarre reason it could be a double rar'ed file. So try unraring that again. Ensure you are using the latest version of Winrar - older versions can have problems extracting files made with newer versions.

Yeah, if the rar extracted as a rar, it's a double rar'ed file, which is bizarre. I *STRONGLY* suggest you ignore ALL the advice about Goodn64 and renaming etc. until you get a viable rom out of that archive! You need to unrar it, then unrar the new rar. You should concentrating on finding the ROM, if any, that is in there. Tell us when you find a:
.rom
.n64
.z64
.v64
(and a few unlikely others)

OP
E

everblessed

:emutalk:Thankyou so much for your help i managed to get the files all extracted and they work wonderfully i would never have done any of it without this help you have given me

karen

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
DON'T USE WinAce or you probably will get errors and
will fail to extract file. It seems WinAce don't support RAR
archives despite the WinAce people claim it does support
RAR archives. :(

Trotterwatch

Look above, the problem has all ready been solved.

As for what you say, more than likely Winace uses an older Rar algorithym for decompression, and so can fail when extracting rar files created in newer versions (even older versions of Winrar as stated above do the same).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Zip is very popular and decent compression.
Ace is a good compression itself but that that popular.
Rar is the best compression and probably a little more popular then ace.

And WTF is this 7z you mention? What exacly does it do? Can it handle zip/rar/ace? Can it compress tp zp/rar/ace (any)?

Clements

marioshroom is talking about 7-Zip, which has the best compression of all compression methods in the 7z format (according to their site....) I only heard of it recently. Personally, I prefer using WinRAR as it has a much easier and better-looking interface.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Powerarchiver is by far the best compression utility, the newer versions support nearly every format (which includes RAR unlike WinZip which sucks,) which also includes ISOs, uuencode, encypted files, etc.
I'm nearly certain it gets the formats supported award.

Now, what's this 7-Zip thing?

I'm kind of curious, how to the different compression formats (main ones coming to mind being Zip, Rar, & Ace,) compare? What's the best compression?

Rar seems to be used almost exclusively for multi-spanned archives, I don't know why.

EDIT: For those interested, powerachiver supports: Zip, XPI, Winamp Skins (WZL, WAL,) EAR, WAR, QWK, Quake PK3 Files, REP, RAR (including integration for R00, R01, etc. & RAR Spanned Archives (.001)), CAB, LZH, LHA, ACE, ARJ, Java Archives (JAR), ARC, ZOO, BH (BlackHole), TAR, GZip (GZ, Z, TGZ, TAZ,) UUEncode (ENC, UUE, UU), XXE, Base64/Mime (B64, MIM), SFX, PPZ, & Encrypted files (PAE) with a full 4 different 128-bit encryption methods. *WHEW*

Seriously, it's great software (the 2002 version was a huge improvement,) I HIGHLY recommend it. It also has automatic updating, full highly customizable shell integration, & skins.

Last edited:

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
7 zip

7 zip is of the making compression in zip, rar, 7z and many others also. (and uncompressing)!

it is a most good replacement of power archiver once my favorite.

the only problem of it is that ace is not used. it is my thought maybe of the open source 7z it will be.

ace is stupid of things anyway.

rar zip and 7z all of which are better.

also is the interface not of the best. but for me am i only using the right click anyway!

shroomario

Doomulation

So...
which is the best compression? Winrar is a stupid application, with bad gui IMO. Just try to extract one file (or open one file), doesn't matter what format it is, just that it's supported, and it'll extract _ALL_ files before opening a file at least...well, it does this on _ALL_ operation which is kinda annoying and stupid...

WinZip has the best gui IMO, thus I use it for the most common formats. Winrar i only use for compression.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
So...
which is the best compression? Winrar is a stupid application, with bad gui IMO. Just try to extract one file (or open one file), doesn't matter what format it is, just that it's supported, and it'll extract _ALL_ files before opening a file at least...well, it does this on _ALL_ operation which is kinda annoying and stupid...

Uh... no? WinRAR will only extract ALL files if it's a solid archive, otherwise it will only extract the files you select. If you REALLY don't have a clue, though, try right-clicking a file in the archive and choosing "Extract files to specified folder..." or whatever. That'll nail just the selected files.

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
the best of the compressions is 7z. it is not of the most popular.

also is a good one rar, and more for the popular.

decent of compression is zip and is the most popular.

stupid of compression is ace which is not of popular, and not better than rar or 7z at all.

7z is a very good interface of my opinion.

i also am dislike the winrar winzip interfaces for powerarchiver 7z are the better.

shroomario

Doomulation

Tagrineth said:
Uh... no? WinRAR will only extract ALL files if it's a solid archive, otherwise it will only extract the files you select. If you REALLY don't have a clue, though, try right-clicking a file in the archive and choosing "Extract files to specified folder..." or whatever. That'll nail just the selected files.
Then it's only if you like double-click to run a file or do some archive processing.