Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

would be grateful for help with changing a .rar file to a .z64 or .v64

hi.....i would appreciate if anyone could help me to get a .rar file to work with pj64 , it says when i try to open the file i need to verify with goodn64, which i downloaded along with goodwindows and the bin files which i needed, the files where found and put in the n64ren file which said which is what should happen, but nothing seemed to have changed with the file and still not able to open it in pj64.

so i went to search for more help and was told to byteswap the file so i downloaded CKrename,tool64 and i followed the instructions which first told me to rename to file to .rom which i did, with curiosity getting better of me i tried to re-open in pj64, but no good , then it said to open the file in tool64 and byteswap to a z64 or v64 file , (sounded easy) but the tool64 didnt find my new .rom file. i am really stuck, and quickly in need for a wig.

help would be appreciated

karen (dumb blonde asking dumb question)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did you extract the file with WinRAR?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i just extract with the extraction tool it prompted me to extract with , which was WINrar as far as i know

i new to this sort of thing

Emutalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by everblessed
    i just extract with the extraction tool it prompted me to extract with , which was WINrar as far as i know

i new to this sort of thing
    .... try extracting again? .rar are archived files. Need winrar or winace or someother archiving program to extract them.

***got confused*** who told you to rename it to .rom? the instructions from one of the programs or from the site you got it from?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i re extracted it , i used WinRAR to extract it but still the same problem it extracts as a .rar file

but i have other files which where also extracted by WinRAR and they are in .z64 / .v64 or rom file which are all supported with pj64 it just keeps saying verify with Goodn64 which i did and it was put into the file which was recomended and it has the mark in it just that pj64 just keeps saying the same everytime i try and open, none of the .rar files are found by pj64. i went onto goodwindows site for there help and i was given those instructions the site which i went to was http://www.smiff.clara.net/articles/...roms.htm#step1

i followed all the instructions on there but still no good

its driving me crazy been trying to sort it out for 4 days

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If the Rar file extracted as a .rar file, then for some bizarre reason it could be a double rar'ed file. So try unraring that again. Ensure you are using the latest version of Winrar - older versions can have problems extracting files made with newer versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Trotterwatch
    If the Rar file extracted as a .rar file, then for some bizarre reason it could be a double rar'ed file. So try unraring that again. Ensure you are using the latest version of Winrar - older versions can have problems extracting files made with newer versions.
    Yeah, if the rar extracted as a rar, it's a double rar'ed file, which is bizarre. I *STRONGLY* suggest you ignore ALL the advice about Goodn64 and renaming etc. until you get a viable rom out of that archive! You need to unrar it, then unrar the new rar. You should concentrating on finding the ROM, if any, that is in there. Tell us when you find a:
    .rom
    .n64
    .z64
    .v64
    (and a few unlikely others)
    "There's no question that the minute I got elected, the storm clouds on the horizon were getting nearly directly overhead." - George W. Bush

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou so much for your help i managed to get the files all extracted and they work wonderfully i would never have done any of it without this help you have given me

karen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DON'T USE WinAce or you probably will get errors and
    will fail to extract file. It seems WinAce don't support RAR
    archives despite the WinAce people claim it does support
    RAR archives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Look above, the problem has all ready been solved.

As for what you say, more than likely Winace uses an older Rar algorithym for decompression, and so can fail when extracting rar files created in newer versions (even older versions of Winrar as stated above do the same).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast