What's new

animal forest translation?

modsoft

Well I am glad you are still thinking about it/working on it!
Just curious, I haven't had much time to fully test the latest patch, but what are the main things left on the 'to do list'?

Now that phones and tablets now able to play N64 games with good performance I'm sure this could get a lot of publicity if you were able to get it to a "completed" state.

zoinkity

Note/letter length is so integral to the crashes it's hard to say how much of the other glitches will be corrected with that one fix. There are some other minor things broken, notably parts of debug since even the earliest patches.
There's some text left untranslated that's been mentioned before and you can find it in the text folders. There might be some untranslated graphic text not spotted yet. Actually, it would be best if somebody else came along and provided an actual, original translation. Stuff like the post office, save screens, and train that refered to N64-only mempak support were completely fudged. Also, the A-Z sounds aren't corrected for english-speakers and there's no english combined-letter sounds (these are hardcoded for japanese to provide hua->fa, etc.).

Really, I'm using it as an excuse to recode a lot of the original work to externalize all the strings and make sizing variable/editable. It doesn't just clean up and simplify code, but will make it much easier for any future translations. Plus, it provides a framework for code checking, testing, and update.

Publicity isn't an issue; when complete it will just get shuffled off to all the major translation boards and indexed like anything else.
In general N64 translation is something of a joke. Even Wonder Project J2 was mostly ignored despite the fanboydom surrounding WPJ on SNES. No good reason either; brilliant patch.

Quvack

I always found crashes when it came to the note/letter side of things when I tried translating this back in the day, unfortunately my n64 asm skills are.. weak.. at best lol. It's awesome to see the work you've achieved on this over the years, and your other projects :)

I miss hacking away at the N64, need to find more time for it one of these days!

The WPJ2 translation is great work also :) tis a shame with the whole state of N64 translation/hacking.

zoinkity

It is, but inbetween other projects. I had taken a few shortcuts with the text ID generator and it sort of necessitates redoing a lot of code. It can lead to saved message corruption among other things, since the IDs generated extend over the allotted space. Among the other things, it can cause characters generated a certain way from overwriting some saved town data or calling non-existant strings.

A new patch won't be out any time soon. I won't release a new one until these crash bugs are finally solved permanently.

ThatBrownGuy

It's been a while, but I was just wondering if the patch is still coming. I've been looking around for a Animal Forest ROM and stumbled upon zoinkity's so I was just wondering if I could see if it was still in the works or not.

Also the other patch you posted got removed.

Last edited:

red_29A

Yeah, i recently discovered this game and can't believe i never played it! i'm a Dwarf Fortress player mostly, but i was feeling like new year, new game... or at least for a while.

So, after seeing how sweet 64 games can look with replaced high res textures i started replacing textures for Animal Forest, but a few days and 300+ textures later i discover that my saves won't load after a few days of playing... So, here i am at my pubic library googling away and i find this thread. Any news from the great zoinkity would be appreciated. Really hope this project is still going!

Part of me says i should quit fucking around and get a newer version of this game, but i really like the Japanese feel of the whole thing, and the ability to replace the textures is super sweet! No more red shoes and blue and white striped socks!!! :sorcerer:

Also, the 313ish textures i replaced with 4x resolution and some oilify filtering in the gimp are only 6 or so MB, so if anyone is interested let me know and i'll get them up someplace. And sorry if this is the wrong thread or anything, i'm a lonely 35 year old with little interwebz experience.

Love and Peace!

zoinkity

Sorry, I got busy with other obligations. It's being worked on very, very, very slowly between other projects.

The patch is currently located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?li9vbbt895u1pl0
To be fair, it's buggy as snot. The majority of that is due to the mere presence of english in messages. Didn't catch all the possible rollovers. Daily events can cause it to go fluttery, and choosing a different day can correct it.

There's a lot of textures. Thousands. You certainly have your work cut out for you ;*)

Last edited:

zoinkity

Don't know what to say. Just clicked it right now and no problems.
You wouldn't happen to be behind a DNS layer that's blocking certain sites, are you? I could email it if you need.

F

Fanatic 64

Don't know what to say. Just clicked it right now and no problems.
You wouldn't happen to be behind a DNS layer that's blocking certain sites, are you? I could email it if you need.

Seems like it was blocked due to copyright infringement, in such a way only you can access it.

etking

I always get this message, (using Google public DNS):

File Blocked for Violation.

The file you requested has been blocked for a violation of our Terms of Service.

Still have questions or do you think we've made an mistake? Check our knowledge base for more information or contact us about it.

zoinkity

Oh, you're freaking kidding me.
Apparently, there's a restriction on the free accounts pertaining to archive files. There's a limit of 10 downloads a month or some nonsense like that, and they use the same file blocked thing that is used for protected, etc. files.
Apparently, if there really was a litigious problem the file would have simply disappeared.

Aegh...

Threw it on fileden for now, even if it is more of a pain in the butt there.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/3/28/3284379/AFProjectDistro.zip

Cooked_Porkchop

Hey zoinkity. I might have stumbled across your weebly website thing. The video on how to install the patch seems to have been removed, and for whatever reason, neither extendo nor the patcher are working. Could you give me a hand here?

Anyways, I'd like to say that its really awesome what you've been doing here.

zoinkity

There's a different patch format (or two) now that won't need the extension program anymore. I'll reencode it tomorrow and update the thing.

The site was being run by somebody else, so I can't do anything about that exactly ;*)

[edit]
Replaced the old ups format with bps. The advantage here is that the ROM no longer needs extending, the patch is smaller, and it takes less time to apply. The patch also will give a CRC error if the source isn't byteswapped.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/3/28/3284379/AFProjectDistro.zip

Last edited:

TunedHeaven

Animal Forest Enthusiast
any plans on any more updates in the near future?
Also, there seems to be this bug whenever a villager requires me to send a letter.
I send them the letter and when I go talk to them, the game ends up stalling and freezes.

zoinkity

Yeah, that would be due to the letter overrunning the buffer. You could stick the original letter scripts back in and that should get around the problem for right now, except of course those are Japanese.

I haven't done any work on it for a couple months. It will take a lot of work to get rid of some fundamental bugs, like how I stupidly permitted recycling of split address aliases. That breaks the game when any file loads in unexpected locations.

I have a few other projects I'm behind on. Eventually I'll get around to fixing everything afterward. If you're impatient and want to take a crack at it yourself the distro folder has notes on what has been done so far.

3ncore

Yeah, that would be due to the letter overrunning the buffer. You could stick the original letter scripts back in and that should get around the problem for right now, except of course those are Japanese.

I haven't done any work on it for a couple months. It will take a lot of work to get rid of some fundamental bugs, like how I stupidly permitted recycling of split address aliases. That breaks the game when any file loads in unexpected locations.

I have a few other projects I'm behind on. Eventually I'll get around to fixing everything afterward. If you're impatient and want to take a crack at it yourself the distro folder has notes on what has been done so far.

Hey Zoin, I recently downloaded your translation pack and when I patched my japanese ROM of animal forest, it worked fine on my computer. However, when I attempted to play the game on my Ouya, a mini android console, using Mupen64, it wouldn't load at all. I tried the normal Japanese rom and that worked perfectly. I'm just wondering if you have any ideas to why it wouldn't work on the ouya but it worked on the computer. By the way, thanks for this translation and all the work you've put into it.

zoinkity

The problem lies in emulator RDBs. Hi-level emulators can't necessarily guess what settings are required to run a particular game. The workaround is to have a file that is used to identify a ROM and declares the settings you need.

This works fine for known games. Hacks, however, aren't normally going to be in the list. You'd have to edit the list and add an entry for the hacked ROM. Basically, that just means copying the old one and changing the CRC data.