What's new

animal forest translation?

Hopper200456

Help!

Hello!

Well, I've been really wanting a translation for AF for quite awhile now, and this seems to be the best one yet!! But, I need a lot of help first.... I have an AF ROM, but I do not know how to patch it. :( Could someone please tell me a way to do this? Thanks!! :D

Last edited:

Kurtank

Hey Emutalk, first post for me.

First I'd like to express how over-freaking joyed I am to see an active effort to patch this game. I played AC on GCN way back in the day. I just got into emulation, specifically using N64oid and other emulators on my brand new Galaxy SII. I got a copy of a patched ROM of AF from ***removed by mod***, but when starting a new game, when the screen fades to black on the train to get off, the game freezes. Music still plays, but it does not progress. Others using N64oid say they don't have this issue.

Can we get a post with a download link for the most recent version of the ROM with the most recent patch applied?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toasty

Sony battery
Hi Kurtank. Please be aware that citing unauthorized sources for copyrighted ROMs or requesting such ROMs is prohibited in this board's rules. Thanks.

Kurtank

Well crap. Thanks for that. In lieu of the ROM itself, can you outline what I would need to do to patch a ROM if I come across one? Again, I'm new to this sort of thing.

EDIT: I tried to use extendo, but when it extends, it gives me an error and the window closes. Is there a way I can run this from cmd so the window stays open and I can read the error?

DoubleEDIT: Actually, it doesn't give an error. It just fails to spit out a copy of the ROM.

TripleEDIT: Turbofacepalm. It kicks the copy to the desktop. These things ought to be noted.

FinalEDIT: Blackscreen. Huzzah. Same problem I had before. You're about to get off the train, and it just stays black. Sigh... This is a bummer. It's got to be something with the patch. The original Jp version worked fine. The file I'm using was patched with 1-4-2011 ups patch. I might try the .xdelta patch, but there aren't any instructions on xdelta in the distro.

WHY THE FUCK DID THAT WORKEDIT: It, for some UNGODLY reason, actually began to WORK after renaming it "Animal Forest (U) [!].n64". I have absolutely no clue as to why this would possibly work.

Last edited:

zoinkity

That's a known and noted bug that's being addressed. It has to do with the quest generator and message generator, and I haven't made a proper fix yet to close off message overruns. The game's response to an unreadable or unwritable message is to simply try to reload it, endlessly.

It kicks the copy to the desktop. These things ought to be noted.
Hmm... Might have to do with the version of windows. I can't test this above windows 98, which doesn't do that I might add.
I'll write up another extender in python though. Really fond of it lately.

zoinkity

The issue is that I can't afford the electric and tinker with this stuff at work when it's slow. I run win98 directly off a memory stick since foreign applications would otherwise get blocked out. You'd think with how paranoid they were about people goofing off at work they'd at least block access to the system BIOS...

Schlupi

Help with patching!

Ok, so I am trying to patch the Dobutsu no Mori ROM and it keeps saying invalid image file for both roms... I know it's a clean, non-byteswapped version of the rom, but it's still not working! Any help, please?

xboy720

Ok, so I am trying to patch the Dobutsu no Mori ROM and it keeps saying invalid image file for both roms... I know it's a clean, non-byteswapped version of the rom, but it's still not working! Any help, please?

Are you sure you used extendo

gunnanator

Is there by chance any more work being done on this? I see how well this patch works, although I cannot get a game started because of the black screen issue. I would really like to play this game and I see there has been an incredible amount of work put towards this as well as a large community effort. I would hate to see that go to waste and go unfinished. I completely support of the work that's been done here and it would be great to see more!

zoinkity

It's still going on, but it requires a lot of debugging. That black screen issue is due to about twelve completely rewritten routines' inabilities to integrate completely with existing code, some of which needs to change. I'm going through everything from the ground-up, and it really is taking forever ;*)
Slowly but surely.

There's also a few other high-profile projects at the moment which have taken priority until I can do proper testing on console. In a roundabout way it's helping AF, but for the most part just very distracting.

gunnanator

I find this to be exceptional news. I'm glad to hear that this project isn't forgotten. Not for the sake of how badly I'd like to play it, but it's generally really cool to see when people finish what they set out to do. I'll be patiently waiting and periodically checking. Keep up the good work!

zoinkity

Yeah, I'm just putzing around about it. Sorry I don't leave update messages very often. I've found most people aren't very interested in lines like: "Well, I was thumbing through a disassembly the other daya and worked out a way to better implement one of the save file tests."

Slowly but surely.

xperia64

Well, my last update was what, 1-1/2 to 2 years ago?

Can't wait for the black screen bug to be fixed. I assume this is the same one with the special events or w/e they are called that causes saved game loading to not work

Last edited:

zoinkity

Yep, all interrelated. It's crazy that all of those are symptoms of the same inherant problem, but that's just how these things fall.

modsoft

Well, my last update was what, 1-1/2 to 2 years ago?
Zoinkity! I have been following progress on this project off/on for years and I really want to say that I appreciate all of the work you have personally put into the project. I am surprised that the last few pages of this thread seemed to have died down (from having just read the whole thing).
Anyway I'm planning on buying an android tablet soon and I am looking forward to playing English Animal Forest on it w/N64oid emulator!

So any more updates planned or is it as complete as it will probably get?

zoinkity

I am (slowly) working on an update. It just requires rewriting a vast amount of code. Plus, I've been lazy and giving a few sidelined and requested projects priority, such as the recent Mini Racers patch to fix the damaged track and restore some textures.

There's a lot of boring things going on like documentation. Aegh. So, eventually it will all pay off, but for now no new updates.