What's new

animal forest translation?

conkerman

conkerman
ok, so i did some searching and i couldnt find a translation of animal crossing/forest/whatever it is in english... does anyone know if there is one, or if one's in development... i could go out and get a gamecube, but i dont have the cash now... so... any help would be great...
conkerman

Quvack

I've looked into this before aswell, I know most of whatl I need to to be able to translate the game, apart from Japanese :p I know the location of the text in the rom, the values of all the japanese text and all the japanese titles and things that would need translating. But as I dont know Japanese, or anyone who does :p I cant really do much on it!

Kenkaku

Banned
Help

I've gone mad trying to find the rom image of this game. If someone could email me information related to the location of the file, I would be quite thankful. Email at ... .

Last edited by a moderator:

Clements

Kenkaku said:
I've gone mad trying to find the rom image of this game. If someone could email me information related to the location of the file, I would be quite thankful. Email at ... .

No

While this thread is randomly bumped...

Quvack said:
I've looked into this before aswell, I know most of whatl I need to to be able to translate the game, apart from Japanese I know the location of the text in the rom, the values of all the japanese text and all the japanese titles and things that would need translating. But as I dont know Japanese, or anyone who does I cant really do much on it!

Perhaps inserting the GC script may work if the games are more or less the same (bit like what's going on with Tactics Ogre for SNES, an insertion of the PSX script)... still would need a native Japanese speaker though for the differences and a helleva lot of testing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quvack

Clements said:
Perhaps inserting the GC script may work if the games are more or less the same (bit like what's going on with Tactics Ogre for SNES, an insertion of the PSX script)... still would need a native Japanese speaker though for the differences and a helleva lot of testing.

:) I've played around with the GC script, it's formatted the same and all that stuff but I've no idea if its layed out the same or not, copying and pasting works to a degree but you've gotta line thing up so that when the game goes to read a various piece of script it finds the data it needs and not half way through a sentence or something.

And the GC version has a few more features and stuff but it'll be useful for such a project anyways. A GC emulator which supports it would be useful because then I could hack around with the GC version and work out how that does things too :) Wont be quite as confusing with some more results in English rather than Japanese :p

foogy

ive actually thought about bringing a team together to work on this translation. if you're interested let me know..... im working on finding someone who's native language is japanese.

Quvack

I'm interested, I've worked out basically everything needed to translate it, apart from a few things which could come in useful anyways. :p Japanese being one of them!

I'm not terribly sure how friendly the game would be to translation, it's easy enough to put English or whatever in there, but getting the game to understand it with the internal stuff like letter writing, etc.. could be fun! The challenges are what make things fun though I guess :)

foogy

alrighty then, working on the website now.

still searching for a native jap speaker willing to help on this project.

what other things do you need?

Quvack

A website really isnt necessary at this stage, though never really hurts I guess, as long as false claims and stuff arent made :p Coz I have no idea how far I could take a project like this, Animal Forest is a huge game script wise.

I still need to figure out how to find pointers in the rom, so I can redirect the script and things like that in order to be able to fit the various dialog's in without having to abreviate various words, etc. Umm need to find where the text for some menu's are stored, but apart from that I have all the formatting and stuff down, and its easy enough to track down various bits of the script bit-by-bit.

Edit:

I have a few ways of tracking down someone with knowledge of Japanese to help out, I just havent had a chance to try before. I'll get around to it soonish :p there's no hope of them helping unless I give some evidence that I can hack the game, so I'll get some screenies or a video together. :)

Last edited:

foogy

alrighty, my email address is [email protected] (yim jo_jones88)
let me know if you need any help. my knowledge of hacking roms is well, i have no knowledge, but am trying to learn. but this proj will test my web skillz.
ive made several posts in other forums for help on the project, just lettin you know. so if the workload gets too big there will be someone else to take the load off.

sorry about the website thing. got too greedy. i have a knack for building at the moment :beer: , i dont know. ill wait till you can see if it can be done or not.....or whatever.

dont work too hard,
out

***EDIT***
what tools r u using locate the text, etc.

Last edited:

Quvack

Quite a few different tools, a image viewer/editor, hex editor, debugger (nemu mostly), rom extraction/input tools. And umm yeah I think that covers it so far.

foogy

have you tried pj64 1.4? i dont know how nemu runs the game, but i think that pj64 has a better compatibility. it has a debugger as well, 1.5 doesnt though.

Quvack

Yeah I messed around with that for a while, I usually test changes I make to the rom in PJ, but I havent played with its debugger too much, I'm used to Nemu's and it's debugger is more than powerful enough for what I need to do :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I would help on this proj, too!
I know some jap. speaking people, I think, just have to see them online.
PM me, if I can help you!
I already have the rom, so nobody have to mail me it! :p

Quvack

Lol its not really a project, Ive been hacking the game apart for ages just figuring out how it does various things and where bits and pieces are located, its a huge game script wise, and some of the ways the game works (like the Note Writing) are gonna be a bitch to get working the way they would normally.

Quvack

ok here's a screenshot of a few minutes bordem, as you can see the text isnt fitting properly with its default size but thats not hard to fix, might be best to change the default size the game uses though, otherwise it'll just take up more room which I really cant waste unless I figure out some other things. this is the first time i've ever put real text in place :p usually its just random crap!