What's new

animal forest translation?

F

Fanatic 64

So, all versions except the original Japanese version cannot save? That's unfortunate. Hopefully you can eventually fix it (you say you're rewriting the game engine?!).

(Note to self: Add Broken core note to Animal Forest (U) (T+Eng) in RDB.)

zoinkity

I think I should elaborate. It saves perfectly fine. the actual issue is when it reads from teh save an event should occur and writes a message. So, sporadically, you can save and reload fine, or bypass the infinite loop and be fine, but the issue can happen whenever a message should be written and saved.
It's a bit complicated.

At any rate, you'd think incomplete ROM patches wouldn't be added to a ROM database in the first place, but I've never really understood the community.

xperia64

To temporarily fix a save when an event is triggered, just load the save in an untranslated Doubutsu no Mori, save&quit, then load the save in the translated version.

GoronKid64

Wow! I remember posting on here years ago about this and i'm so happy to see it's still being worked on. How far have you guys came? This is one of my all time favorites and I'd love to be able to play it on my xperia play since it can run N64 emulators... (i can dream lol).

EddardStark

To temporarily fix a save when an event is triggered, just load the save in an untranslated Doubutsu no Mori, save&quit, then load the save in the translated version.
Can you elaborate? I can't find any way to load a save from one game into another game. I've tried Mupen64 on my Android tablet, N64oid on my Android tablet, and Project64 on my computer. I can't figure out how you're doing this, but it sounds like a really good idea. Thanks.

Paar

Zoinkity, your work is incredible but it seems it's far from being done. I have one question for you which I ask everyone when they start such a big project. Do you believe you will finish it? I don't ask for exact release date or anything like that, just whether you are determined enough. At first everyone is excited but that excitement fades away over time. It's natural and cannot be criticised. I'm just interested if you're still enjoying it like when you started the project approx. 6 years ago.

Last edited:

zoinkity

The issue is I have a lot of other obligations and there aren't many N64 hackers. This project requires the largest degree of work to make any individual change, so it's the furthest down on the list. It only makes sense: many of the errors being ironed out of this patch are entirely because I was distracted with other projects on the side. It's only when everything else is cleared off the table that I can really dedicate any time to it.

In the meantime I've assisted in or worked solo on dozens of other projects, most of which are finished or nearly-complete as well as behind the scenes work on prototypes and hardware documentation. A lot of consultation work. For the most part it's small jobs that can be finished quickly or really difficult jobs that are holding up other people from finishing what they've started.

If it wasn't just the GC dialog shoehorned into the N64 version I'd feel a lot better about it (and there wouldn't be nearly as much work), but I'm just as hopeful to get it done one day.
Actually, all that other work has revealed just how slapdash the original codework was, and I've really been on the fence about starting over from a completely new codebase. Even the variable width font can be implemented better, or I should say already has been in a different project. The codeword correction error was revealed via work on a different title, and now I have a 100% Nintendo-accurate compressor thanks to all that de/recompression work for the N64SoundTool and Midwaydec.

I don't expect it to get done any time soon (it's at something like #5 on the list right now, though that should soon be #4). It just requires much more dedicated time than anything else I've been suckered into.

Paar

So I'd say you're determined enough. I'm glad you're not throwing the project into a trash can as it' showing much promise. But at the same time I think it is not so important to get it done as soon as possible (for me) because even if it would be finished, you wouldn't be able to play it on the real console with RTC enabled. That's why I'm interested. I'm sure one day it will be possible but when excatly I don't know. Maybe with the arrival of Everdrive 64 v3 which (according to its developer) could bring RTC functionality.

About the project itself. When writing letter the animals use some kind of spellchecking system to determine if it's readable or not. I presume in the japanese version there would be japanese spellchecking. Are you planning to add english vocabulary? That's probably one of those things that make this translation so complicated.

Last edited:

zoinkity

The letters animals write are generated from stock forms. They just insert phrases from one of several tables into certain slots. That is a bit of a complication though, since in the original they saved the modified letter as a string but in the english there's a great chance of overrun. My solution is to save the entry numbers used to fill the letter along with the letter's entry number, with the minor caveat of one debug message breaking. That isn't implemented in the available patch though due to other related complications, but there you go.

Paar

Thanks for the explanation but I meant something else. When you write a letter to somebody else or leave a message on the bulletin board the game uses some kind of spellcheck system to determine if it's a real thing or a gibberish. Did you take that into account?

zoinkity

Don't think it's been found yet. Even when it is found it will probably need remarkable changes to work as expected.
Come to think of it, AC:WW used to say almost all the messages I wrote were jibberish. Would be nice to know what rules it uses ;*)

Retro Rider

Played this game on my Moto G and works perfectly, saves just fine.I was so disappointed to see (or not see) that when I went into my inventory that it was black, leaving me in the dark. So needless to say I had trouble doing some landscaping for Tom Nook.

Villagers talking in Japanese and not being able to read signs was also a real downer. But when I found out this game worked so well, and that I could at least experience the beginning of the game was the best.

Zoink, what you gave accomplished is awesome. If you could find some why to fix these issues then it would be just the perfect game to play for my little mobile device.

Though I don't you to do all of this work just for me. I still enjoy tinkering around with animal forest.

Also a question, is it or will it ever be possible to visit the island or talk with Kapp'n?

zoinkity

...when I went into my inventory that it was black
Many HLE plugins don't support some of the graphics used in either the original or hacked Animal Forest. Even plugins that render the items won't render the little character in the corner properly. I'm afraid it's an emulation issue and can't be fixed.

Villagers talking in Japanese and not being able to read signs was also a real downer.
Exactly what version of the patch are you using? The dialog should be in English; it has been for some time. I know ROM sites have been distributing pre-patched versions (they shouldn't, but aegh) and chances are if you got a copy from them it was one of the earlier versions. granted save files aren't all screwy in them, but they lack any dialog.

Also a question, is it or will it ever be possible to visit the island or talk with Kapp'n?
Both of those only appear in the GC re-release. The original N64 title didn't include them.

Retro Rider

Thanks much for the quick reply.

Do you have a link to the latest patch? I'm afraid I couldn't tell you what version I am using.

TheNewestNick

Hey guys!
I'm new here, so I've seen this form so many times, I decided to give another link to the Project Distro. It's from my Dropbox. Here ya go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en56ue2gwrgj2qt/AFProjectDistro.zip?dl=0

Anyway, I was working on the Virtual Console game for the Project Distro for Wii, and I patched it and everything, it patched successfully on a N64 game called "Ogre Battle 64 Person of Lordly Caliber", but when I ran it after installing the WAD on the Wii, it crashed when it tried to load up the game. So I am giving you guys the opportunity to fix this. If your a Wii Hacker (I meant an advanced one) then visit this link to download my WAD:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ve0v1uaaztqowd/Animal%20Forest%20-%20NFAN.wad?dl=0

Well, hope the problem on the WAD get fixed. I don't know if there is any Wii hackers around (because I am a new user here) so I hope this gets fixed.

MaximillionFace

Hey guys, I realize this thread is super dead at this point, but I still check it from time to time wondering if any progress has been made.

That being said, has any real work been done on this in the past two years? I still hope we can keep the dream alive.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk