What's new

animal forest translation?

astroraptor

I have seen this happen many times before, and i wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to this project, however seeing that this thread has been ongoing for, oh say, 4 years, it would be a huge waste to just throw it all away.

I for one support this project 100% and i HOPE it isn't dead as i haven't seen any of the team post on here for a while (roughly two months)

btw, MY FIRST POST :evil:

It doesn't matter if it's a thread's active and there's a large community behind it. I've seen my share of popular projects go down the drain because the developer decided to up and leave for no reason or faked his death. Heck, I've seen paid software developers leave with no reason and leave the community hanging, having pretty much wasted their money for something that'll never come to fruition.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
I'd rather like it if we could stay positive here.

(I'd also like it if Zoinkity were to return soon... Not that I want to rush him too badly or anything, but I think soon we're gonna end up with AC fans rioting... >_>)

spoondiddly

Sorry, had no internet access. Sucks, but true.

At the moment there's an issue with each text bank being handled independantly and each of those needs to have an arbitrary call number limitter removed. Got two of them, but there's a dozen or so, easy.
Also, there are the occational instances where text is called directly, not by the four-byte call words. These need manual hacking.

This isn't dead. If it came to that, I'd send the data needed to continue working on it to somebody else - anybody else - and dump it into the forum.

Sorry again. Internet shoudln't be an issue from now on. Here's hoping soemthing nice, real, and physical can be posted soon. This has been drawn out far too long as it is. Heck, *I* want to play the game too ;*)

Shadow_Pwn

I'll stay here and talk with you guys to keep this active as much as needed. ;D

I'm excited, what can I say?

And thats cool, spoondiddly. I think we can wait for that. Your hard work will really be appreciated!

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Sorry, had no internet access. Sucks, but true.
Yech, I know the feeling; it used to happen quite frequently to me. In other news, Time Warner is laaaaaaaaaaaaame.

At the moment there's an issue with each text bank being handled independently and each of those needs to have an arbitrary call number limitter removed. Got two of them, but there's a dozen or so, easy.
Also, there are the occasional instances where text is called directly, not by the four-byte call words. These need manual hacking.
So, is that first issue related to the previous problem with text in certain text banks not appearing whatsoever, or is it a different issue entirely?

This isn't dead. If it came to that, I'd send the data needed to continue working on it to somebody else - anybody else - and dump it into the forum.

Sorry again. Internet shouldn't be an issue from now on. Here's hoping something nice, real, and physical can be posted soon. This has been drawn out far too long as it is. Heck, *I* want to play the game too ;*)

I'm glad to see you're back around, and if worse came to worst, I... don't think I'd be the one to adopt the project (mainly because I fear that I'd end up leaving it off to the wayside in negligence :().

(Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I think we should have an IRC channel or something for minor discussion of stuff like this amongst other things in general... Don't want to do anything without seeing if people think it's a good idea, though. :p)

spoondiddly

It is related to the 'blank' text. It aborts loading the entry. The really nasty one that's difficult to trace is this one block that handles four tables all smooshed up together. They did some clever math to figure the offsetting, so that routine needs to be gutted and rewritten.

Aegh... It looked to be such a simple hack too... Figures.

ShadowBeast

SO! How's the team coming along on the translation? Or does that even need to be asked? Btw, what programs are you guys using to rip the text from the roms? I know a LITTLE japanese, so i figured maybe i could do a little bit of scripting myself, since theres been no recent packs released... :p

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
SO! How's the team coming along on the translation?

There's a team, now? :p

Zoinkity is doing most of the main gruntwork right now. Once he's done getting everything smooth sailing and whatnot (I just wish I had his kind of skill... or 10 Zoinkitys... Hmm... :evil: ) I'll be trying to round up some people to help out. If need be, however, I'll do all the text replacement myself... :D

zoinkity

Okay, the current beating-your-head-against-the-wall issue has to do with Nemu. Apparently it doesn't like it if the rom is extended. I'm talking even something simple and stupid like using an uneditted rom and extending it to 256Mb. So, it's console debugging until that little nightmare is taken care of...

All the largest text banks on their own are working now except for the four merged ones. They reference them sort of weird, and I haven't gotten a chance to dedicate much time to it. The static-sized string ones, that will get done later. Trick is now getting the blasted thing to not crash and burn under emulation when the rom is extended. Like that makes any sense at all anyway. The N64 itself can care less...

ShadowBeast

Okay, the current beating-your-head-against-the-wall issue has to do with Nemu. Apparently it doesn't like it if the rom is extended. I'm talking even something simple and stupid like using an uneditted rom and extending it to 256Mb. So, it's console debugging until that little nightmare is taken care of...

All the largest text banks on their own are working now except for the four merged ones. They reference them sort of weird, and I haven't gotten a chance to dedicate much time to it. The static-sized string ones, that will get done later. Trick is now getting the blasted thing to not crash and burn under emulation when the rom is extended. Like that makes any sense at all anyway. The N64 itself can care less...

WOW, that SUX!!!
So by how much do you think the final product will be delayed, that is, how long till you finish console debugging?

FlotsamX

Hmm... so, you're saying that the majority of the text is working correctly now? Great. Will we see a "beta" pack before the official release?

spoondiddly

There's a series of large text banks that are all working correctly, but the trouble is they only work correctly on console. Emulators are doing something funny and clipping the extended area and I'm not sure why. So, in other words, you'd get to test one, but not all, of the text banks. Grr...
Once that gets taken care of, I'll send a beta. Otherwise, there isn't anything to see. That's the root of the 'blank text' bug.

Fixed text, such as character names, items, etc. haven't been addressed yet. They need tables, requires some hacking.

Aegh... This shouldn't be taking this long. It really is a sort of simple hack. Really...

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
There's a series of large text banks that are all working correctly, but the trouble is they only work correctly on console. Emulators are doing something funny and clipping the extended area and I'm not sure why. So, in other words, you'd get to test one, but not all, of the text banks. Grr...
Once that gets taken care of, I'll send a beta. Otherwise, there isn't anything to see. That's the root of the 'blank text' bug.

Fixed text, such as character names, items, etc. haven't been addressed yet. They need tables, requires some hacking.

Aegh... This shouldn't be taking this long. It really is a sort of simple hack. Really...
Mmh... if emulators do something wrong here, you could probably contact the MupenPlus team, because it's the only active emulator where you can contact the authors and probably they will find the problems and fix it... just an idea.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Mmh... if emulators do something wrong here, you could probably contact the MupenPlus team, because it's the only active emulator where you can contact the authors and probably they will find the problems and fix it... just an idea.

Windows port is going a little slow but if anyone interested in solving a problem has a Linux box up to test this, it would be more than welcome to have bug information - I suppose I could try this myself, but it's of low priority compared to other things I'm busy with.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Mupen can run Doubutsu No Mori? Neats.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure. I'll try.

edit: It runs anyways :p Some small issues right at the intro screenish-area then i quit out. I could work on them but someone who knows better about how the game SHOULD look would make this a lot easier (e.g. someone who still has it and can test)

Last edited:

spoondiddly

I'm starting to think its a filesystem error now. No emulator loads the rom, as in it doesn't get to or at least past the byteswapping step. It crashes somewhere in there, unfortunately without debug info. I've tried Nemu, PJ64, 1964, mupen, and even ultraHLE. They won't load it? That's just weird... Rom extension should not cause any issues whatsoever. Didn't with GE, in PD, in the other twelve games I tested it on, but here? Grr...

Upload works fine, meaning I can get it on console and use a <sigh>GameShark</sigh> to do the debugging. So, as long as it doesn't wobble to far back or forward the game doesn't freeze randomly, just on occation returning control after the BP...

Sorry for the rant. It is just absolutely frustrating...

--------
However, if you want to make a stunning and lovely addition to Mupen, releasing a nice windows debug version with full breakpoint capabilities at least on par with Nemu would be absolutely divine... Seriously, it is sick and wrong that Nemu is still the staple debugging platform.

Native cheat support would also be nice. However, we can always embed that in carts... I'm sort of holding out for 64DD support ;*)

Oh, if you ever need screenshots or something, that's easy as pie ;*) That a GS is quite good at.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
However, if you want to make a stunning and lovely addition to Mupen, releasing a nice windows debug version with full breakpoint capabilities at least on par with Nemu would be absolutely divine... Seriously, it is sick and wrong that Nemu is still the staple debugging platform.

Native cheat support would also be nice. However, we can always embed that in carts... I'm sort of holding out for 64DD support ;*)

Oh, if you ever need screenshots or something, that's easy as pie ;*) That a GS is quite good at.

Boots fine with Mupen64Plus. We have a GTK debugger though, but since the Winport will use GTK you should be able to use that. I guess I'll have to make builds for it? (If enough people want it)

edit: I should try it with the patch now (DUH.)

spoondiddly

What I was doing wasn't in the patch. I was just extending the rom to 256Mb. That's what's throwing the odd error. The extended memory will be used for the new text. It normally wouldn't cause this behaviour, but for whatever reason it crashes loading the rom now.

Almost certain its a filesystem error peculiar to my computer.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Patch works awesomely in Rice+Mupen64Plus :D actually looks better (No bugs on the small little intro anymore).

Could you send the extended ROM? I can test it on Mupen64Plus.

edit: For fun i decided to post a screenshot of it running.

Last edited: