What's new

Little graphics card poll

Does your graphic card support pixelshader? (Hint: Most GeForce 3 and above do)

• Yep

Votes: 66 57.9%
  • No way

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters

Lemmy

Hi everyone

i worked some more on my graphics and managed to get it running using pixelshaders on my geforce ti 4200. Could be wrong but I don't think this has been used before in n64 emu land.

Where is the advantage? Well it virtually solves the combiner problem (no more need for lemd3dcombine.dat). Plus it can do some effects that were impossible or very difficult in the past (look at the screenshot - doesn't look that good in currently released version)

It requires pixelshaders 1.1 (geforce 3). Would be interested in how many people have cards that support this? Of course its optional but imo its really worth it.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

/me hugs his GF3 :)... not literally obviously

Sounds brilliant what you are doing btw Lemmy! I've heard talk of perhaps using Pixel Shaders in N64 emulation before, but never though that it may actually happen.

Lex

My gf4 ti4200-8x supports it :D

Great work :flowers:, every n64 graph. plugin author has to do this :happy:

flow``

flow``
even though my card doesn't support it (gf2 ultra) i think it's a great idea as eventually people will upgrade and be able to support PS 1.1 and above

plus all future cards will have it so it's a smart move if it will reduce/simplify work

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I just got a card that supports 'em (Radeon 9500 Pro), and I've been thinking of adding it to my gfx plugin, even though I've gotten almost all combiners 100% working on GeForce cards, and am about to do the same with Radeons without pixel shaders.

The advantage of pixel shaders would be that you could make a single combiner that works with all the new video cards, instead of writing several for different feature sets (like I am now).

I'd say go ahead with it, most users have, or will have, pixel shader supporting cards within the next 12 months, especially with games like Doom3, DX2, HL2, and the like coming out that basically require them.

Orkin

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I've got a Geforce4mx 420, but its PCI, no idea if that can do pixel shading, but anyway, its pretty crap.

I'd be using the radeon i bought if it didn't crash my computer *thats what i get for buying an unnofficial ati.. grumble*

will have to look into a geforce4 ti this weekend :p

Hyper19s

Banned
darn it mine doesnt support fully
{half way or something like that}
i have the same card mightyrocket has
{see below}but the rest of th pc is great!

Kahenraz

My main machine has it, but my server does not...

This may be totally impossible, but is it possible to make a pixel shader wrapper? It's totally hardware based so I really doubt it.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I got a GeForce FX back in May, pixel shaders work nicely, I'm actually suprised myself how many people have them these days

Last edited:

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
mightyrocket said:
Not sure, but I've read something about Pixel Shaders on my Geforce 2MX 200. I think I have them.

I have been read the article here, but i got confused. From the article:

"Pixel Shaders enable programmers to add a variety of shading effects right at the pixel level. Per-pixel lighting, reflections and bump mapping are some of the popular effects made possible by pixel shaders. If this feature sounds familiar to current NVIDIA fans, it is because the GeForce2 included this functionality, through the NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR)."

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I don't know about that article, but...gf4 mx doesn't support pixelshaders and it's basically just an overclocked gf2 card. So...no, that card can't support it.

It looks, though, as that it's pretty equal that people has it or not. 16 vs 14.
Of course, my card supports it.

Federelli

Beta Tester
well, unfortunatelly, my v5 doesn't support ps of any kind, but this feature is a must have, but all the same, for those that don't have ps, please keep working on the compiler issues

Whobetta

Hehe thats why i bought a Radeon 9000 Pro for a budget card much better than Gf4mx series and has pixel/vertex shader support. I think its a good idea anyways cause most of the new cards will have ps/vs support now.