What's new

New, realistic Zelda

FAR

First Person Shooter
Miyamato officially announced that a new Zelda is in development and it will have the realistic graphics that was first suggested for the Wind Waker.:)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
FAR said:
Miyamato officially announced that a new Zelda is in development and it will have the realistic graphics that was first suggested for the Wind Waker.:)

No, all he said was they were looking at different art styles again, and that they probably wouldn't use the same one again in the next Zelda game.

For all we know, he wants to use wireframe mode in the next one. :flowers:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Nope, you are both wrong.
The next Zelda (not Tetra's Trackers) is currently in development and will use the same engine as Wind Waker.
Eiji Aonuma stated this, and also stated he will be working as producer instead of director. This inevitably means Miyamoto is completely stepping down, and god knows who will be directing the game.

It's a sad, sad, day for Zelda fans.

I'll post the interview if you'd like.

blizz

The other problem with WW was of course that it wasn't the hero of time, it's kinda sad but I'd like to see what happened in the end to "Link the Hero of Time"

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
nephalim said:
The next Zelda (not Tetra's Trackers) is currently in development and will use the same engine as Wind Waker.
Eiji Aonuma stated this, and also stated he will be working as producer instead of director. This inevitably means Miyamoto is completely stepping down, and god knows who will be directing the game.

You don't know Miyamoto is leaving Zelda; he could be moving down to director, which is where he should be. =)

He WILL have a part in the next Zelda though.

And if you're including the fact that it's using The Wind Waker's engine in the "sad day" part, I have something to say about that too =)

alexa999

Banned
nephalim said:

Could you please post the interview?:flowers:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Wind Waker Sequel Interview

Interview by Paul Davies

To begin, is there anything you can tell us about the sequel to Wind Waker? How far are you into development and when will we see it?

Aonuma: I am unable to give you any details right now. I am hoping to have a playable version ready by next year's E3, so I'm hoping you'll be patient and look forward to that.

As I did between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, I will use the same engine and the same graphics of Wind Waker for its sequel. However, I do plan on powering everything up a bit.

Is it part of a series or do you just make each game standalone? Or is that dependent on the popularity of the previous game?

Aonuma: When creating a sequel to an original, I like to look first and foremost about what was good and bad with the original. However, when creating a game, I like to make sure it's a complete story within itself, so it doesn't require a sequel and there's no explanation needed - that is how I approach all my projects.

With regards to the graphical style, was it your idea to move away from the look of Ocarina and go with cel-shading?

Aonuma: Yes, I proposed it to Mr. Miyamoto as I felt it was the right way to go.

Why did you feel this was appropriate?

Aonuma: I tried to make something a little more realistic with the N64 version and I actually feel that took away from the playability of the game. When creating Wind Waker, I actually shrunk the characters a little bit, making them easier to manoeuvre, with simpler movements.

Right now, there's a really realistic looking Link in Soul Calibur II. That Link is not required to travel really long distances - if he had to it would take forever. Making Link smaller means he's able to travel faster and his movements are more direct.

Will the sequel to The Wind Waker be sea-faring again or do you plan to include a different mode of transport?

Aonuma: Did you find it a hassle to travel by boat?

Aonuma: I was playing it through in Japanese at first, so I didn't know about the fish who marks locations on your sea chart, but when I found that it was fine.

Aonuma: With regards Link's method of transport in Wind Waker 2, I still don't know. The play field has not been determined yet. In Wind Waker, because we decided to put him on the ocean, his method of transport was boat by default - it wan't that we specifically wanted to put him in a boat.

Can you give us a little background on how you came to work on The Wind Waker?

Aonuma: When we decided to release GameCube and make a Zelda game for it, I didn't think I was going to be responsible for it. But one day I walked into Mr. Miyamoto's office and said: "OK, what am I going to work on next?" and Miyamoto-san said: "You're not working on Zelda yet?" [laughs]

I don't know if there's a specific reason but it was Miyamoto-san's decision.

When you began the game, what were the biggest challenges you faced?

Aonuma: Because the GameCube was a new system, I had to learn how to develop for it and build a different engine - that's where I started and that was a big challenge for me. I did have the knowledge of 3D from N64 though, so that was something we overcame without too much difficulty. Also, the cel-shading was a huge challenge for me.

The Wind Waker is a massively important title with a controversial look, and must have been a very streesful project. Did you still have fun making it?

Aonuma: Actually with this project I was able to have a lot of fun. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older - I've recently turned 40 - but going into projects, while stressful, is always more of a challenge than anything else. I look forward to pleasing Miyamoto-san, and it's looking forward to his reaction that puts a good kind of pressure on me.

Why did you decide to stick with text-based dialogue rather than using speech?

Aonuma: With conversation, using text has always been Zelda's style - it's always worked that way. And another reason for keeping it text-based is because, when anyone reads anything - a novel, text on a screen - they're able to give it their own kind of flavour, their own interpretation and voice.

Rather than influencing that by making the on-screen characters speak, I intentionally wanted players to read the text. I don't know if you've noticed, but Link never speaks - this is also intentional as I want the player to create their own idea of who Link is, rather than giving him a voice.

What is it about Link that has captured the imagination of gamers for years?

As I said before, each player has their own version of Link. And because everyone has created their own Link, everyone can relate to him and have their own idea of who he is.

Does The Wind Waker match up with your original vision for the project?

Aonuma: I am not an artist. Granted I do have an image of how the game will look in the end, but what I normally do is try to convey the look and feel of the game to the artists - lots of minor details. The artists then take those words and create something on-screen for me. I'm very grateful that I have the staff that I do, because they usually come up with something more beautiful and elaborate than I could have imagined.

Going into The Wind Waker, I had an image that they were able to create and more. I'm very happy that I'll be working with the same staff on the next project, this time as a producer. But the planning department is the same, the creative department is the same, so I hope we can create something even greater than The Wind Waker.

Are you going to be working on any online titles?

Aonuma: I don't know where the company stands on this at present, but I'm not working on any online projects, nor have I heard of any online projects. One thing I can say is that, rather than online, Nintendo's focus this year is on connectivity with many games based on this. My take on connectivity is that it's one-room online gaming.

What games have impressed you at this year's E3, and are there any Xbox or PS2 titles you would like to see on GameCube?

Aonuma: Unfortunately I've been very busy this E3 and not had the time to walk the showfloor as much as I'd have liked. I did check out the PS2 and Xbox stands and tried a couple of the games. As for games I like, I've always had an interest in series games, seeing as though I'm working on one myself. It's always nice to see what other companies and other people are doing with their titles, and how their titles are evolving, making we wonder about where my title should go in the future.

With regard to games I'd like on the GameCube, my head is full of Tetra's Trackers and Four Swords, so I haven't had a chance to think about that yet! [laughs].

Have you been working on Zelda series since SNES or before? Did you work on the original Zelda?

Aonuma: I'm still a student! [laughs]

I guess what I'm driving at is, when I spoke to Miyamoto once, we were asking him about online and so on, and he said that games should be about communication, and that communication was a really strong aspect of the Zelda series. Not just the characters communicating with each other, but also players getting stuck and communicating with their friends. I was wondering how much of that element you were conscious of including in The Wind Waker. Are there puzzles in there you deliberately make difficult so that people will talk about them?

Aonuma: With regard to making puzzles too difficult, I would never do that to our fans! [laughs] If anything, I'll make it so there are a series of steps required to solve the puzzle, but in the end I want the player to feel: "Hey, I'm really clever for solving that by myself!" To force someone to go and ask their friend is probably not a good way to go.

And is there one element you try to include in all of your titles? Nagoshi-san [currently working on F-Zero] says it's speed. Is there one for you?

Aonuma: I really value communication; the relationship between the player and the characters around them. The thought of having just one character progressing alone is not something I want to happen in my games. The way my character meets others, relates to them and leaves is really important.

It's good when he says goodbye to his granny.

Aonuma: [laughs]

And the little snotty kid as well!

Aonuma: [laughs]

Can you tell us about any life experiences that have helped in/had an impact on making Zelda games?

Aonuma: I recently had a baby - he's just over a year old - and I find myself taking walks with him quite often. When I'm with him, even if I'm going down the same street I've walked many times, I get a different view of the world just because of his reactions to it.

He looks at things I haven't noticed and looks at things that aren't there, and sometimes it's a little scary! [laughs] I do find that that's a little bit of an adventure with my son and a different kind of communication, and you might see aspects of that in the following game.

Johnny Minkley

--------------------

I think this interview is really sad. It makes me really dislike Eiji Aonuma, due to such quotes as "I am not an artist," and the completely false notion that because link is SMALLER he can go FASTER (WTF is he thinking?) Nevermind the fact that he can't say for sure we won't be plopped back into an ocean. If the next game is set on an ocean, I won't even LOOK at it, i'll tell you that much.

On top of that, we have sad news of Miyamoto's absense as producer (unless he will be co-producing) and to assume he will be directing is a rather off-the-wall assumption. I hope they get someone great to direct the game, but somehow I doubt it and don't have much hope for the future of Nintendo and Zelda.

Anyway, you asked, and I provided.

blizz

it's not actually the cel shading we have an issue with (even if cel shading is being over used) in a nutshell:

We want a Zelda game were Gannondorf doesn't look like a pimp and Link doesn't look like his bitch.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Wind Wa·ker
n.
. a. Huge dissapointment and let-down by Nintendo.
. b. Aimed primarily at very young children as opposed to everyone including loyal fans.
2. The beginning of Nintendo's end.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
ShinjiIkari[/i] [b]Windwaker==the sux[/b][/quote] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nephalim said:
Wind Wa·ker
n.
. a. Huge dissapointment and let-down by Nintendo.
. b. Aimed primarily at very young children as opposed to everyone including loyal fans.
2. The beginning of Nintendo's end.

OK... how was it a disappointment? How it is the sux? Can we get past "OMG IT SUX0RZ" and start giving reasons?

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Your guys are all saying wind-waker sucks without support for your reasons, which in my opinion does not prove wind-waker suck. Instead, you guys are just telling us you don't like wind-waker because you don't like it. ;)

alexa999

Banned
ra5555 said:
Your guys are all saying wind-waker sucks without support for your reasons, which in my opinion does not prove wind-waker suck. Instead, you guys are just telling us you don't like wind-waker because you don't like it. ;)

Yeah, Everybody has a different opinion.:) I love Wind Waker.:) I played it every other day for two months then I beat it.:)