What's new

New, realistic Zelda

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I wrote a review on GameFAQs. If you feel so determined to know why I think Wind Waker sucks, go read it :p

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
nephalim said:
I wrote a review on GameFAQs. If you feel so determined to know why I think Wind Waker sucks, go read it :p

/me reads

Link always gets the Triforce of Courage in all the Zelda Games. He is supposed to be going against all odds against all evils and win because of his overwhelming courage.

The fuck?

Link, for example, could have had a MUCH more detailed model. A lot of the enemies were more detailed than Link! He is just not up to par. And his gigantic head and eyes just don't look right to me. There are dithering problems, depth problems galore, there is many instances of little imperfections that are just unacceptable in a game that has so much graphical polish you can barely see the worn out boot underneath.

Link's model looks fine to me. And the 'gigantic head and eyes' are on everyone Link's age - Tetra and Link's sister (name escapes me) come to mind immediately. Also the four trouble-making kids in the first majour village place. And depth problems? Explain.

Aiming the cannon is total guesswork and horrible from a gameplay standpoint

Wrong. Algebra 2. I can do the Cannon mini-game in five shots, even with a towel covering the corner of the screen which tells you your shot angle.

The little frustrating things such as having to change the wind every time you overshoot your destination is one of the most annoying things I've ever had to deal with. Forget about going in a circle around an island. By the time the game was done I was ready to throw my controller into the sea.

Remove sail, then hold R.

Other than those questionable attacks, I do agree with a lot of what you said... but the game has two things that most games today lack - except in the sea, of course - fun factor and personality.

But I agree on all your points about the sea. I hate it.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Tagrineth said:
* Tagrineth reads

And depth problems? Explain.

Wrong. Algebra 2. I can do the Cannon mini-game in five shots, even with a towel covering the corner of the screen which tells you your shot angle.

Remove sail, then hold R.

But I agree on all your points about the sea. I hate it.

Depth problems: most obvious example: the water going through the bottom of the boat

I don't believe you that you can do the canon mini-game in 5 shots (no offense intended.) That said, even though "total guesswork" might have been slightly innapropriate, it's simply bad gameplay - as were the other examples I gave in that part. That's just one small piece of the whole. Not being able to sail and fight (at the same time) is the most major gripe.

Remove sail and hold R? That's your solution to having to change the wind constantly? First of all, you CRAWL, and section of all, while that may save you from changing the wind for every tiny thing, it's still quite annoying, and I imagine doing that often would make the crawl you travel at just as annoying.

The second two paragraphs are my opinion. (As was the review, obviously.) Glad you agreed with the whole. I'm doing a bare minimum game, and doing it that way the game is decent as a whole, except for the badly written (IMO) story (keep the flames to yourself, please.) It's just that the ocean was so badly implemented to the point of being terrible, then we have the aimed at young children aspect, and everything that comes along with that (in Nintendo's opinion,) and a few other things and overall the game is more bad than good IMO, although the good is EXCELLENT usually.

It's a GOOD game, but it's a TERRIBLE ZELDA game, IMHO.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
nephalim said:
Depth problems: most obvious example: the water going through the bottom of the boat

I think you're equating "3D graphics depth" with "water depth." :flowers:

What you're talking about is a clipping problem, not depth. Water that goes "through" the boat should instead flatten out under it, or something along those lines... but that isn't easy with GCN's fixed-function transforms.

It's a shame; GCN's one real shortcoming compared to both PS2 and Xbox is no programmable vertex shader. Oh well...

I don't believe you that you can do the canon mini-game in 5 shots (no offense intended.)

My stepdad doesn't believe it either, and he's watched me do it. :satisfied

That said, even though "total guesswork" might have been slightly innapropriate, it's simply bad gameplay - as were the other examples I gave in that part. That's just one small piece of the whole. Not being able to sail and fight (at the same time) is the most major gripe.

Yes, having the sail as an item and thus having to get rid of it while fighting is a pain, but fights out at sea do tend to be quick (boomerang, anyone? :D)

Remove sail and hold R? That's your solution to having to change the wind constantly? First of all, you CRAWL, and section of all, while that may save you from changing the wind for every tiny thing, it's still quite annoying, and I imagine doing that often would make the crawl you travel at just as annoying.

True, coasting is slow, but you get my point.

And if you miss the island that badly, you really need to practice closing your sail... :saint:

EDIT: Oh, and you CAN sail "against the wind", but you have to zig-zag. Just like with a real sailboat. :happy: Except that in TWW you have to turn much harder than a real boat would have to... oh well. Just turn your boat so you're perpendicular to the wind; you'll get a burst of speed, then you turn toward the wind again and you'll maintain your speed long enough to turn the other way, perpendicular again.

Well, anyway, we've already taken this way too far :flowers: but whatever. I agree on the terribly implemented sea though...

Jaz

Ex-Mod
ra5555 said:
Your guys are all saying wind-waker sucks without support for your reasons

I gave reasons. ;)

But then, I should probably stop posting in all Zelda threads. :satisfied