What's new

Low-end computer users: Read this first!

Lots of people are below the system-specs of a N64-emu, and are asking how to boost the speed of the emulator. Before you ask, read this:

- Many people are using PJ64, but they don't know that TR64, TRwin, 1964, Corn, UltraHLE and Nemu are a lot faster than PJ64.
- Use TRwin for Shadow of the empire. This emulator will let you enjoy it at an excellent speed on 400 mhz.
- In general: Nemu is faster than 1964 and will run the most games at full speed on a PII 450 mhz. Zelda OOT will run excellent on that system.
- Turn off your virus-scanner.
- Use a lower bit depth (32 to 16 will make a small speed increase). A lower resolution will sometimes help too.
- In 1964: You can change many things in the rom options to let your game run a lot faster. Read advanced-users.txt for a bigger explaination of these terms.
- Use CF3 instead of CF2 (1964 and PJ64). This will make a 4-10 fps speed increase (but might cause flickering in some games too).
- Use Jabo's D3D-plugins, or Glide64 if you have a voodoo. In general these plugins are the fastest (faster than Rice's, Orkins and Icepir8). For some games you can use Xengine too (fastest plugin), but it has some bugs in a few games.
- D3D plugins are in general 30% faster than OpenGL (excepting Xengine).
- Purchase a voodoo 2 or 3 card, they are very cheap, and Glide64 is the fastest plugin if you have a voodoo (many games will run at full speed on 300 mhz).
- Don't run Goldeneye on PJ64. It's running too slow.
- Use NeTo's emu64 hip. This will give you a speed-increase of 15%.
- The (U)-version is running smoother than the (E)-version.
- If you're using Azimer's audio: Use 0.13b with a buffer little lower than the default and disable ai-hack.
- Use HLE-plugins in PJ64 (like Azimer's audio). They are faster than the standard LLE-plugin for PJ64 (Jabo's directsound).
- Use an older version of Jabo's plugins (1.20b and 1.30 are faster than 1.5).
- For older games it's the best to use SupraHLE with Gl2ideal 1.6 (if you have a voodoo, use default mode).
- Disable RSP for the most games (this will have a speed increase for them). ENABLE it for RE2. It will increase speed for this game.
- Use No sound or Ultrahle sound-plugin (takes almost no resources) for a better speed.
- Use (Dynamic) Recomplimer instead of interpreter.
-

I think you know enough to get 35-50 % extra speed out of your emus.

Mightyrocket

Last edited:

tooie

mightyrocket: one of the biggest things you seemed to have missed is high level audio .. that is probaly the biggest thing .. low level audio is extremly slow unless you got mmx2 .. even then it is not that fast .. how come you ignore this since it is pj64 default .. which allows pj64 to be closer speed to 1964 .. granted something like GE is still faster in 1964 .. but in general it is not that much a difference from what I have seen ..

Stupidity_Emu

- In general: Nemu is faster than 1964 and will run the most games at full speed on a PII 450 mhz. Zelda OOT will run excellent on that system.

Is 1964 optimized for Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, and Conker? I tried them on Nemu and only Conker worked, which was going really slow, but I popped it in 1964 and it was running at full speed! But, on most other games Nemu is a lot faster, like Diddy Kong Racing, 60fps on Nemu and 50fps on 1964. If only Nemu could run Conker at full speed.

OP
mightyrocket

mightyrocket

Banned
1964 is better for games like Mario, Perfect Dark, Conker, Goldeneye, Shadows of the empire, Resident Evil 2, Super Smash Bros and Paper Mario. Use Nemu for the rest of the known games (of course there are lots of games which aren't supported by Nemu, so use 1964 or PJ64 instead).

Trotterwatch

schibo said:
I disagree that Nemu is faster than 1964, but the video plugin is faster than most other plugins out there. You can play the nemu plugin in 1964 also. And if the speed is still in question, 1964 1.0 will put that debate to rest.

The Nemu plugin works in the current version (released version of 1964)? I didn't think it did due to it being outside of the Zilmar specs.

scotty

The Great One
Well Schibo, Ill take your word on it since we hear of all these promises for the next 1964. I wonder if you'll keep all your promises, since there are (thinks about answering) enough. 1964 is more for games by Rare, in fact I use 1964 exclusively for games by Rare, since they are slow on PJ64 for my computer. MightyRocket, no offense but I have never had a problem with Jabo's D3D6 V1.5, its like the only plugin I dont have problems with as of this date.

By The way, do you guys know where to get Azimer's audio plugin .13b. I hear an awful lot about it, and I know that in particular I probably need it for Goldeneye. Thanks

That reminds me is Super Smash Brothers going to be fixed in 1964 V1.0 since the menu is messed up in 1964 0.x.x

Last edited:

Stupidity_Emu

Schibo, what about the fact that Diddy Kong Racing runs at 60fps on Nemu and PJ64 while only 50fps on 1964. All three emus were tested on Jabo's D3D 1.5.

scotty

The Great One
Trotterwatch said:
MEMO For Schibo

Please don't die, thnx :)

:1964:

lol I like that Trotter

Schibo: I am sorry for using really strong words, but your promise to release it before you die reminds me of some of the humour I would use in the same situation.

Boromir3434

Thanks Mightyrocket, this should help a little on my 400 MHz comp. BTW, My computer specs say Cyrix 600 MHz, but I actually have a Celeron 400 MHz. My Cyrix just diddn't work out, it scared the crap out of me when I got a whiff of that good ol' burning smell.... :D

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
i am so anticipating the next 1964. maybe *i* will die before it releases.

mostly i anticipate more the rice plugin next release. i am always anticipating this for the play of dr. mario. which is SOO close, and of my favorite.