What's new

n64 emulation for PS2 or DC?

midiguy

..and why not? It would be very very cool to be able to play n64 roms on a ps2 or a dreamcast even. Imagine how many games you could fit on one disc! and the hardware that the consoles offer should be more than enough... just a thought..

Lizard Blade

Actually (yes yes I know, consoles and computers are like apples and oranges, except for the Xbox) the next gen consoles are not powerful enough for feasable N64 emulation, especially the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was 200 mhz with 16 MB of RAM and 8MB of video memory, the PS2 is 294 Mhz with 32 MB of RAM and 4MB of video memory.
However, there are plans of a port of the Daedelus emulator to the Xbox, and its believed that the Wind Waker bonus disk for the Gamecube runs Zelda Ocarina of Time and Master Quest under emulation.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
PS2 could do it. You have no idea how well emulation can work with multiple processors.

Saturn can emulate the MegaDrive with some minor work.

It can also emulate the Super NES, with some tweaking (find Megaman X3; it's emulated).

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
conkerman said:
yes

conkerman

Uh... no.

The central processor is an r5900i, and it's coupled to two Vector Units (basically, general processors which are optimised for vector performance, but they can do a lot more).

There's also the IOP, which is the "PS1 chip" - literally, it's a processor which mimics the r3400i.

That makes four physical processors.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
IMO, it's possible to write a n64 emulator for the ps2 especially if it's specifically written for ps2 and not only a port.

The r5900 can execute natively n64 code, it has the same instruction set + some new opcodes :) It means that a dynarec written for it would be very fast. Of course you still have to emulate memory access but if you only have to modify memory instructions it'll still be fast enough i think.

To emulate the rsp it would be cool to be able to use the IOP as it's using the same instruction set and to use the vector unit from the IOP. But i have no idea if it's possible or not.. If it is maybe it's even possible to write a lle n64 emulator on ps2 as things would be working nearly like in the n64.

Stupidity_Emu

It's a shame no PS2 game make use of the I/O processor, if they did, PS2 games would have even better graphics. I think it's there specifically for backwards compatability.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
It's a shame no PS2 game make use of the I/O processor, if they did, PS2 games would have even better graphics. I think it's there specifically for backwards compatability.

You are so wrong. Games do use the IOP for various things. ;)

The thing is, the IOP is more or less a simulation of an r3400i at around 34.8MHz (but it is NOT a MIPS processor!), which means it's far too slow to do anything serious.

alexa999

Banned
Lizard Blade said:
its believed that the Wind Waker bonus disk for the Gamecube runs Zelda Ocarina of Time and Master Quest under emulation.

No, it dosent run it under emulation. If it did the button colors would be the n64 colors instead of the gamecube colors.:getlost:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
alexa999 said:
No, it dosent run it under emulation. If it did the button colors would be the n64 colors instead of the gamecube colors.:getlost:

Um... no. Have you ever played an emulated console game?

You CAN patch/mask over parts of a ROM. Have you played Final Fantasy Anthologies and/or Chronicles? Even though they have cinematics, and PSX button icons instead of ABXY, if you put the CD-ROM in your computer, you can load the games in ZSNES.

Emulation is very common practice when remaking older games on newer systems.

Originally posted by Stupidity_Emu
I thought I read somewhere that the I/O is in fact the PSone's processor. Could be wrong, though.

No, not exactly. It's very, very similar, but not the same. It BEHAVES enough like r3400i to run stock PS1 code though. :flowers:

Allnatural

jobsaboba said:
what about using the grey controller instead of the black one ?
What the hell does this have to do with this thread or emulation in general?

And why revive a seven month old thread? And why oh why start an identical thread in a Dreamcast forum? Seriously, wtf? :huh: