What's new

Saturn Emulation Screenshots

OP
flow``

flow``

flow``
nice shots :)

i'll get some tonight.. trying to think of a good game to take pics of, any suggestions?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I can see that it'd be possible to filter textures in Saturn emulation... much like it's possible on PSX... but how are they accelerating the video? How does Satourne use OpenGL? Do they just rely on OpenGL to interpolate quads into triangles?

zorbid

AFAIK, OpenGL supports the quads natively, it's among the first thing you learn in Ogl tutorials. (search for glBegin(GL_QUADS);)

I don't know if the cards support quads in hardware, or if the driver converts them into triangles, but it can easilly be done :)

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
zorbid said:
AFAIK, OpenGL supports the quads natively, it's among the first thing you learn in Ogl tutorials. (search for glBegin(GL_QUADS);)

I don't know if the cards support quads in hardware, or if the driver converts them into triangles, but it can easilly be done :)

That's what I meant. Sure you can do quads in OGL, but not on modern hardware... not since Direct3D's inception, anyway. Actually, I take that back, nVidia held out with quads longer than any other IHV but they jumped over to triangles with Riva128.

Yes, quads can be converted to triangles for hardware rasterisation... but that could cause some horribly broken graphics if any Saturn games used non-coplanar vertices on their quads, which I'm sure at least a few did...

Talas

Son of the Sky
How about Guardian Heroes? I tried it a week ago with my GeForce 2 and had some black Lines in the game. Now I have a Geforce 4 ti 4200, the game runs a LITTLE faster and the black lines are still there. Anyone any suggestions how to get rid of them?

I play with 640x480 and have an Athlon 1600+ XP

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Hmm. I've got Christmas Nights running on the newly released version of Satourne. Satourne uses ogl for emulating the vdp's which enables some nice filtering options. But it seems the filtering messes up the quad polygons that Nights uses. As will be evident by the following shots. Maybe it's the way ogl vdp plugin is drawing the quads, but they have weird lines showing the quads. They are even more noticeable with full filtering. The following shots are without filtering on the quads and the lines around the quads are still quite noticeable.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The game is running at around 50 fps on my system. Very playable if it wasn't for the lack of controller options. Runs a lot smoother than on girigiri though. I also had to set the "sh2" frequency option to '.5' to get that speed. Anything lower and the game starts frameskipping.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Last one for now. I've also gotten Panzer Dragoon 1 and a few other games running on Satourne. I'll post them up later after more testing. This pic really shows the messed up quad allignment.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
It isn't alignment. I'll tell you exactly what it is.

The same thing happens when you tile multiple textures across one group of triangles.

Quads (at least, the way Saturn does them - but I think it's a universal thing) can't have textures applied across a large area... it's one quad -> One texture piece. So, when Satourne tesselates the quads into triangles, it tiles the texture where the quads would be... and you can't can't bilinear filter between two textures. The lines are where the bilinear filtering just stops.

Marauder

Hey guys! Here's a shot of Panzer Dragoon with Satourne 1.0. No sky/water but everything else looks pretty good. It plays until it loads the next episode, and then crashes. Luckily, the code for level select still works, so you can just skip to any level (including the last boss). Runs about 20 fps on my system with all graphics options turned on (not much faster without).