What's new

Mario Kart: Double Dash (Now with video)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Zelda rules and Celshading rocks... end of story!!!!!! (PS: If you don't like cel shading then don't play it and above all don't say anything about it. If you hate it so much why do you care to look at the screenshot read the reviews and such?)

Most people like Zelda by the way... LOOK at the sales.

:satisfied

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
Tagrineth said:
Well, half the point to the GameCube's design was so it would be portable (handle, anyone?).

And MANY people have two TV's in their homes, just not necessarily in the same room. And if MKGC's networking is wireless, that should be irrelevant. :)

annnd along with 2 gc's and 2 copies of mariokart? and 8 controlers?

yeha! now mario kart looks interesting :D (although i was annoyed that it looked to damn kiddie, but now i`m just excited..) ..i need to get my GC back. i borrow it to a friend cuz he wanted to play ethernal darkness but for me it just suck.. (compared to RE series) :getlost:

can`t wait for it. hehe if maybe would have netplay cap i would teach jaz some old tricks from mk64 mwahhaha :happy:

Cybercat

Super Mario Kart started the franchise from humble beginnings. It was kind of a sleeper hit, and the reason I say that is that while it wasn't very polished compared to games like Super Mario World, it still spawned multiple sequels.

I am pretty much unchallenged by anyone I know although I'm the only person I know personally who likes it nearly as much as I do. I'd say my favorite entries would be Mario Kart: Super Circuit and second on the list would be Mario Kart 64. I think the GBA one was just glorious with extremely polished gameplay and presentation, and tons of replay value. But that's just a nice overhaul of an already good franchise. This new GCN sequel, however, is by far the most disappointing entry I've seen. It should be called Nintendo Wacky Racers. I don't know about any of you, but I fell in love with the franchise because of the gameplay, but this two-seater crap is going to really hamper the gameplay no matter how you look at it. It will be frustrating to drive while having another character throwing around items, maybe even obstructing the view. And likewise, throwing around items with aim will be difficult when your driver is swinging around sharp turns, jumping ramps or road-bumps, and avoiding other "karts" (if you can call them that now) and swirving everywhere, but that's only if the driver's any good. :D

I would have liked it if the characters were riding their own separate karts and if they did some major lightening up on the frilly vehicle designs. They called the first games "Mario Kart" because of the fact that they're driving go-carts. In the words of whoever invented this phrase: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Oh, and where did all this talk about cel-shading come from? This game isn't cel-shaded anywhere... The only reference I can think of is that Nintendo took a simularly HUGE risk with cel-shading Zelda like they are doing with changing the trademark gameplay of the MK game dynasty. But the GCN-MK-change is different, as it's stupid no matter how you look at it. The only real redeeming quality about this game is the 8 player LAN and even that ain't all it's cracked up to be as earlier posts point out. I wouldn't mind the change in gameplay or even if they decided to change the go-carts into filing cabinets as long as Nintendo passed it on as a different game altogether insteading of tarnishing the name of Mario Kart *holds head up proudly like the noble and loyal Mario Kart fan that he is*

(Oh, and Yoshi needs to have his own kart. Yoshi rocks the track's friggin ass off, man. He's WAY too cool to have the pink what's-her-garden-hose-face's name riding on his back. That's for another type of kart (with a backseat and shock absorbers) and for later on, hehehe... :cool: Hey, Yoshi's got a girl too people! Don't believe me? Why do you think they made a tennis court in Mario Tennis 64 featuring them two? I choose Yoshi for every Nintendo-character-franchised games, including Super Smash Bros., Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart (obviously), Mario Party, etc.)

Last edited:

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
I haven't seen any pics of the battle mode... you know the everyone gets placed in an arena with 3 ballons and everyone has to pop each others ballons.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
It will be frustrating to drive while having another character throwing around items, maybe even obstructing the view. And likewise, throwing around items with aim will be difficult when your driver is swinging around sharp turns, jumping ramps or road-bumps, and avoiding other "karts" (if you can call them that now) and swirving everywhere, but that's only if the driver's any good.

I think you misunderstood.

The two characters thing doesn't mean you'll have two PEOPLE managing the kart.

One player still controls both characters.

The purpose of the two-character deal is to make the game more tactical. Two characters = much more weight, which is why the change off "Karts" and into "Cars"... and the two characters can hold separate items.

Basically Nintendo's trying this generation to revamp all its franchises, to prevent them from becoming stale. Frankly, if they hadn't made Double Dash!! as it is, they would've made Mario Kart 64 2... and it would've been the same game with new track designs. Granted it can still be fun, but veterans will find it *far* too easy, rip through it, and end up disappointed... which is exactly what Nintendo is trying to avoid.

Oh, and by the way - the pink thing whose name everyone has mysteriously forgotten is Birdo. :flowers:

Cybercat

Tagrineth said:
Basically Nintendo's trying this generation to revamp all its franchises, to prevent them from becoming stale. Frankly, if they hadn't made Double Dash!! as it is, they would've made Mario Kart 64 2... and it would've been the same game with new track designs. Granted it can still be fun, but veterans will find it *far* too easy, rip through it, and end up disappointed... which is exactly what Nintendo is trying to avoid.

Woa, that's assuming much. The N64 is out of the picture and will be for the rest of time, no games will be coming out for it. You wouldn't call a GameCube game anything with a '64' in it, or if their entire goal was to port gameplay and graphics with new tracks, they'd call it something like Mario Kart 64 Plus as it's not nearly enough to be a sequel. The N64 version had some pretty dumbass AI. You could hold a banana, turtle shell, false item box, etc. behind your back and let the computer players ram into them on their own. No need to place them anywhere or lauch them off. It'd be pretty easy to improve on that and make the game last longer and be challenging the entire time.

About the two-character thing: I guess I was only thinking of multiplayer as the single player would probably control much like the originals.