What's new

Snes emulation

Rich_T

Hi all,

Why is there no snes disscusion board?

Whats the bes emulator for the snes ayway?

Thanks

Rich

Clements

ZSNESW 1.36 is the best Super Nes emulator. It has excellent graphics (as you can see from my sig :) ), netplay and sound. A new version is coming up too according to pagefault- can't wait!

conkerman

conkerman
snes9x is pretty good too... it's been a while since i really compared the two, but i think the battle was between snes9x and zsnes
and there probably isnt a discussion board because then there would have to be one for all nintendo consoles...come to think of it, i dont think that that would be such a bad idea
conkerman

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Ive never liked ZSNESW.
I have always found it clumsy & nasty in use.

For a nice looking & user friendly Snes i would say Snes9x all the way

smegforbrain

I believe I tried Zsnes once, had some problems with it, and never went back.
Snes9x has always worked pretty flawlessly for me.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Snes9X and ZSnes are pretty equal. They share imformation and stuff and make improvements to both. For me it's snes9x since zsnes has buggy frameskip (can't live without it :p).

Te only thing that snes9x lacks is actually a good sound core. It crackles sometimes even with sync sound activated.

But anyway, check out those two and pick the one of your choice.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Frame skip? on a system like yours it shouldn't even need a frame skip, I have zsnes set on 0 frameskip, it runs at perfect speed.

btw my system is considerably slower than yours...

Zsnes will always be my favorite, on another note I think Snes9x's GUI is rubbish. but to each his own.

:blush:

Clements

And Snes9x does not have the smoke effect! Seriously, both Snes9x and ZSNES are almost identical graphically, so it comes down to sound, of which ZSNES is far more accurate, and is further improved in the new version according to pagefault.

Also, the network play in Snes9x is buggy and goes out of sync all the time. ZSNES's over the internet is much better even with 56K! I can play my school friends from home! And it doesn't go out of sync!

ZSNES also has screenshot support, while Snes9x doesn't.

Yep, I also disable frameskip- only meant for really slow PCs. The GUI of Snes9x looks like Windows 98 :doh: so I prefer ZSNES's with the afore mentioned smoke effect on, with a filtered 2XSAI GUI.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying. As for the frameskip, i use it to skip certain parts which are too long (enabling a frameskip of 20 frames/s goes incredibly fast :D), i'm impatient so i need it ;) :p

LD.

*poke*
For things like that I have the turbo key mapped to spacebar ;)

I prefer ZSNES. SNES9X's graphics always seems badly stretched, and the sound leaves a lot to be desired. I love the 3Dfx mode though ^_^

OP
R

Rich_T

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will check out both ZSNES and Snes9x.

Thanks

Rich_T

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Doomulation said:
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying. As for the frameskip, i use it to skip certain parts which are too long (enabling a frameskip of 20 frames/s goes incredibly fast :D), i'm impatient so i need it ;) :p

Um... it's stupid to use anything other than Auto-frameskip for normal play. Even the SNES hardware skips frames. :geek:

And for skipping, you DO know that ZSNES invented the 'fast-forward' key? You know, the one where, while you hold it, the frameskip locks at 9 and the game speeds up tremendously? :flowers:

Clements

Tagrineth said:

Um... it's stupid to use anything other than Auto-frameskip for normal play. Even the SNES hardware skips frames. :geek:

When I use auto frame rate I still get constant 60fps with ZSNES. It skips frames based on performance, and as I have a fast enough processor, no skips are needed.
The SNES does skip frames, but a PC does not need to if its fast enough. Skipping frames makes the graphics and sound worse quality. I always aim for the best possible quality, and avoid things like scanlines, frameskip (if I can) and low resolutions.

Anyway, I only see advantages in slowing games down (Helped me in Yoshi's Island to get pixel perfect jumps)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
I didn't think the SNES ever skipped frames. Normally, if the load is too much for the CPU to handle, the game just slows down.

Clements

Doomulation said:
I prefer Snes9x's gui more as the mouse is too sensitive in zsnes and it's annoying.

Activate 'Joypad 1' in Misc and then GUI options. Now you can use a joypad to control the GUI as well as the mouse (don't need to use the mouse like Snes9x!)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
When I use auto frame rate I still get constant 60fps with ZSNES. It skips frames based on performance, and as I have a fast enough processor, no skips are needed.
The SNES does skip frames, but a PC does not need to if its fast enough. Skipping frames makes the graphics and sound worse quality. I always aim for the best possible quality, and avoid things like scanlines, frameskip (if I can) and low resolutions.

Anyway, I only see advantages in slowing games down (Helped me in Yoshi's Island to get pixel perfect jumps)

Slowing games down = cheating.

Skipping frames doesn't make the graphics and sound worse. SNES uses built in interpolation which includes some form of keyframe work... compare animation fluidity at PC 60fps / Auto Frame Skip with and without Interpolation. (I recommend standard 2xSaI for normal play, with a few notable exceptions like StarFox)

And the sound isn't worse because it's exactly the same. In fact, it's better if you do allow auto frame skip because it plays back exactly how the developer intended... same as the graphics.

Added: OK, I take it back. Auto Frame Rate is what you should use, period, but for a different reason.

Just talked to pagefault about it.

0 frame skip runs *everything* as fast as your system can run it. If it's slow, that means your system is too weak. Auto frame skip will be slower if your system is too fast, and faster if your system is too slow. Neat stuff.

Auto Frame Skip attempts to simulate how 0 frame skip would run on actual SNES hardware :)

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
ahh...the old zsnes vs snes9x debate.

well, for me the choice was easy. Back in my old computer, snes9x didnt work for me, zsnes was the only way to go. from that point on, zsnes failed to disappoint me. no reason to even test out snes9x.

ps. only zsnes had a 1.337 version, that won over the :geek: in me