What's new

2 Computer Problems

Vchat20

1) Icon's f*cked up - Mainly the DOC icons as far as I can tell. They always change on me. I heard of a fix for this, but forgot it.

2) USB HD Very Slow - My BUSlink USB Hard Drive seems very slow lately, especially while playing mp3's. I use Winamp and playback using Directsound cuz of the Fade feature. but when it goes from song to song the first song stays at full volume longer than it should and then simply goes to 0% volume like 'that'. no fading. and I have made sure to unplug all other USB devices. just the Hard Drive is attached now. and I have tried Defrag, but for some reason it wont defrag cuz it is as defragged as it can get (weird?).

love to get some advice on these 2, especially #1

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Some Windows system files probably corrupted

After backing up data to your USB hard disk drive (the 3 GB one),
you should repartition the internal hard disk drive, reformat the
internal hard disk drive, reinstall Windows and *all* your drivers.

Of course, *make sure* your USB hard disk drivers are on a CD.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Rule of thumb: if the drivers are only available for windows, or they are not available for download on the net, the hardware isn't even worth having around.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Post #2 - Well, it is alot slower than usual

Post #3 - Nope, the USB Drive isnt USB2.0 compatible anyhow

Post #4 - too much hassle. I would get a new computer before I even decided to do that. besides, the USB drive only has Windows drivers (which I hate)

Post #5 - not my fault, go yell at BUSlink

also, one more problem to add - when I connect to the net via DUN, I dont get a terminal window at the bottom anymore. If I need to disconnect, I either wait for it to disconnect itself, or I restart the computer. any remedies?

Reznor007

To fix the icons, just download TweakUI from Microsoft, it has a "repair icons" option.

The USB drive can be tossed.

OP
Vchat20

Vchat20

Reznor007 said:
The USB drive can be tossed.

There is no way in hell im gonna toss the USB Drive! unless you want to trade it for a normal 60GB drive?