What's new

FCE Ultra v0.92 released

Allnatural

For those that still play NES games, like me. :) I use this emulator more than others, and the latest version has a new high-quality sound mode (new core) that sounds really nice.

http://fceultra.sourceforge.net

This is probably the last release in its current form as Xodnizel is calling it quits (again?). He has said that before though, so who knows. Anyway, browsing the FCEU forums it appears that some are working on new forks of the project, so it should be with us for a while. :)

scotty

The Great One
FCE Ultra continues to have the best quality and compatibility of any NES emulator. There are still 2 flaws I find with the emulator:

1.) Saving ability isnt really that good, it always tells me that there is a save error.

2.) There is no netplay server. I do not like the IP address thingy that most emulators have, and Kalliera Sucks. I reallly would desire to play Mario 3 with someone over the net.

I admit The only reason I use NNNesterJ is because of its saving ability, FCE ultra is way better

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

scotty said:
Saving ability isnt really that good, it always tells me that there is a save error.
Eh? I've never had a problem with saving in FCEU. Just you I guess. :)

NNNesterJ is nice. If they improve the sound quality it will be my emulator of choice.

Clements

I have to use four different NES emulators as not one of them supports all my roms. Most have trouble with Balloon Fight:

smegforbrain

Well, I dunno about the rest of you, but between JNes and VirtuaNES, all the roms I play are covered, thankfully.

I will check out FCEUltra as well to see what it has to offer, but I'd have to have to keep more than 2 emulators up to date to play stuff. :)

scotty

The Great One
I used to use FCE Ultra, NNNesterJ, JNES and VirtuaNes as well Clements, but then I ran into a ROM web page that has the Good ROMS on it, and changed them all to good. Its funny I had BAD ROMS and I never knew it, almost all of my games are on Mappers 0 - 9, there were some that didnt work well, but they do now (castlevania 3 I used to have a ROM with Mapper 69 - 5, and now I got the Mapper 5 version, comes out perfectly, Anticipation and tetris used to be on Mapper 65, and messed up and I used FCE ultra, found the mapper 1 ROM, and the problem is gone with the others, WWF Wrstemania Challenge is on Mapper 2, most people have the Mapper 7 version, until I got around it and found out that Mapper 7 didnt work, which in fact surprised me since mapper 7 is where many Rare's games are, the AOROM). What I am trying to say is there are too many Bad ROMS out there for NES games, some of the Bad ROMS are discuised as good ROMS, then I figured it all out, now all I need is one emulator.

most ROMS work on Mappers 0 - 9, but there are all these mapper hacks, overdumped ROMS, poor programming, Etc;

Be very careful with what you download for the NES

smegforbrain

Well, it's easy to say "be careful what you download", but I don't know how many sites that say "this rom won't work" before letting you download it.

Most of what I got works; the rest of it, I'll hunt for other copies of to see if there's a good one out there, but beyond that... *shrug*

FAQ

Well, it's easy to say "be careful what you download", but I don't know how many sites that say "this rom won't work" before letting you download it.

Most of what I got works; the rest of it, I'll hunt for other copies of to see if there's a good one out there, but beyond that... *shrug*

You\'re not allowed to ask for ROMS here, please consult the rules page for further reading. Do not ask again, thank you.

scotty

The Great One
smegforbrain said:

Right, I used to be your way, then I came across this one page that had everything, then I realized what was going on. I know you werent trying to ask for the ROMS. Oh! I am not at liberty to discuss where I get my ROMS from, after all it is forbidden to mention that in these forums and I dont want to blow their cover to the ISDA.

Clements

I downloaded a new Balloon Fight (even though the rom was verified by GoodNES) and it works with all four of my NES emulators. Smashing!