What's new

Smiff's Perfect Dark screens

Kritikal

Ok, so I pulled out Perfect Dark and checked out the textures. Smiff had posted two screens of PD. One with really clean textures, one with blurred textures. Actually, both of them are correct. Someone had mentioned that it depended on your resolution and video output. It also has to do with the mip mapping. Look at a wall up close and it looks just like the clean textures in Smiff's first shot. Move away and it eventually changes to be like smiff's second shot. No, it's not just cause it gets smaller. You can see the texture suddenly change and detail get lost. It's the mip maps. On high resolution the textures do look cleaner farther away, but I think it's cause they altered the mip map distances to make high resolution mode look more natural.

On a side not, pj64 previously had not used mip maps in goldeneye. The textures stayed at the highest resolution constantly. Maybe that's a good thing since we will be running the game at higher resolution than n64. Maybe it's an option that could be put in Jabo's plugin? Mip Maps on/off?

Here's one of smiff's shots and one of pd from rare's site. I don't remember the url for smiff's second shot.

PD_oldDX6.jpg

pdshot30_1_.jpg

BTW, the rareware shot isn't actually from a part of the game. There is a later mission where joanna is in a dress at the carrington intitute but that shot isn't part of the cutscene. I guess rare set that shot up for the look of it. Or that part of the cut scene got changed.

pdogg

i hope this hasnt been asked before, but is there in any way of increasing the draw-distance in (N64) emulation, im not sure exactly how things work on the really-techie side, but one suck thing about the N64 is the lame draw-distance (i guess due to limited RAM), so basically, it would be nice to turn off fog and see way into the scenery...just askin'

*PEACE*

Slougi

pdogg said:
i hope this hasnt been asked before, but is there in any way of increasing the draw-distance in (N64) emulation, im not sure exactly how things work on the really-techie side, but one suck thing about the N64 is the lame draw-distance (i guess due to limited RAM), so basically, it would be nice to turn off fog and see way into the scenery...just askin'

*PEACE*

Umm dood, just turn fog off in jao's gfx plug-in ;)

Last edited:

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Perfect Dark on PJ64 and it's looking REALLY :cool:
I can't wait for the public release of PJ64 caus I want to play Perfect Dark once more.

pdogg

naww mang, turning off fog duz not improve the draw distance....meaning turning off fog will just make stuff look
even more incomplete in most or N64's foggy library
(i do believe the foggiest of any console ever)

(DONT see Rogue Squadron, Turok...about every damn game taking place outside)

the draw-in in many games isnt so bad, but its just a question

LateRz

Ozymandias

Yep. Fog is used only to reduce the visual impact of limited draw distance. Turning off fog will only show the limits of draw distance.

Maybe you could increase draw distance with some kind of patch or cheat in the game, but I don't think that could be possible to add a 'universal draw distance increaser' :) , because the piece of code that limits that distance may be different for every game.

Correct me if I'm wrong