What's new

Super Metroid problem

FoxMcCloud

Badass
I have no idea where to put this thread, so ill put it here

A am currently playing the great Super Metroid on ZSNESW or something.

And almost through the game, it blacks out in one sertain room. The music continues, but the screen gets black, except from the door leading in to it.
I was totally pissed. Can it be something wrong with my emulator, or is it the rom?

Cheers

Trotterwatch

General emulation would have been the wise choice. The individual emulator forums are for discussions about each individual emulator. As such it is frowned upon for people to post off topic such as this.

For the problem, perhaps you can try playing that section in Snes9x, or another version of ZSNES.

Trotterwatch

I can't, as I don't moderate in this particular forum unfortunately. If you wish you can delete this thread yourself, and copy and paste the information back into the relevant forum.

It'll mean you will get more replies in the long run, and less flames ;)

To delete the post should you wish to, simply choose edit - then go to where it says delete, check the checkbox then click on the delete button.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
well the solution to it though is to get a good dump verifyed by goodsnes,bad dumps or overdumps are the result of what you are seeing

euphoria

Emutalk Member
FoxMcCloud said:

A am currently playing the great Super Metroid on ZSNESW or something.

And almost through the game, it blacks out in one sertain room. The music continues, but the screen gets black, except from the door leading in to it.
I was totally pissed. Can it be something wrong with my emulator, or is it the rom?

Cheers

I believe it's part of the game. I've just finished Super Metroid and there is one room that fades to black a few seconds after you enter the room. Can't be sure since i don't own SNES...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hmm...a black room? I don't remember that...
Anyway, good or bad dumps usually works alike on the snes emulators afaik.

Where is this room?

OP
FoxMcCloud

FoxMcCloud

Badass
In the last "level, right after the metroids!
The room is just black and the game freezes.

btw, i had no idea you were here Doomulation :)
Nice to see ya!

Doomulation

FoxMcCloud said:
In the last "level, right after the metroids!
The room is just black and the game freezes.

btw, i had no idea you were here Doomulation :)
Nice to see ya!
Nice to see you too. :)
I've never encountered this. It works perfecly fine for me.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
ACTUALLY - Super Metroid is NOT emulated absolutely perfectly, same as everything else.

The Plasma/Spazer bug behaves very differently on emulators...

Doomulation

Tagrineth said:
ACTUALLY - Super Metroid is NOT emulated absolutely perfectly, same as everything else.

The Plasma/Spazer bug behaves very differently on emulators...
What is this bug? I've played the original on snes, so i'd know...afaik, i've seen no "bug".

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
There are a lot of bugs in the game, seriously. But they're all 'weird' and most people shouldn't run into them...

Anyway, the Spazer/Plasma bug:

Normally only one can be on at a time - BUT, if you enable Spazer, then highlight the lowest equipment on the right (can't remember the name) and hit left and A at the same time, you should activate Plasma with Spazer still on ('VAR' should appear next to Plasma, don't worry about it, it's an oddity involving the next item on the list being the Varia suit).

Fire it, and the game will crash instantly - EXCEPT in a select few areas.

For more info, go to GameFAQs, look up Super Metroid, and read the Glitch FAQ.

There's a thread in the SM forum there that specifically discusses the Spazer/Plasma glitch in high detail and its... nifty effect when used in the right places - and how on emulators it has a few different effects which can never be done on cartridge.

OP
FoxMcCloud

FoxMcCloud

Badass
My problem lies in the room after the two big blue jumping things, right after the first Metroids!
The room is completely black, and the movement freezes!