What's new

GTA3/UT2K3 graphics

0N1 L1nK

Hey there,
I'm running on WinXP and when I ran GTA3 the text was not there- so i installed the patch, Q306676, and GTA3 works fine.
But then when I run other games (like UT2K3, MaxPayne) the graphics in that are all messed up? Like there are strange "artifacts" popping out of nowhere.
Is there a patch or something to fix this?
I have a GF4 MX440SE and i have the latest drivers from nVidia (40.72).

Eagle

aka Alshain
Umm, those arent the latest Nvidia drivers. Try updating your video drivers to 41.09

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Oh, whoops
Umm yeh, those werent the latest drivers- i just downloaded them and forgot to install them.:blush:
Anyway, it did work, thanks:holiday:

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Bad News...

It didn't work, actually:cry:
What happened is that it worked for a while, when everything was fine. Then the graphics in both UT2K3 and GTA3 don't work properly. This is after the patch was installed, prior to the installation, all the graphics were fine- except for the missing text in GTA3.
Here's a picture of the problem I get in UT2K3:

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Re: Bad News...

0N1 L1nK said:
It didn't work, actually:cry:
What happened is that it worked for a while, when everything was fine. Then the graphics in both UT2K3 and GTA3 don't work properly. This is after the patch was installed, prior to the installation, all the graphics were fine- except for the missing text in GTA3.
Here's a picture of the problem I get in UT2K3:

You know, I had a similar problem after applying that fix in windows 2000, service pack 3 fixed it however. Maybe applying a service pack to your XP install might fix it as well? Be careful with it though, XP SP1 did me more harm than good when I tried it.

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

if you overclock, try setting clockspeeds back to default.

nyaa
No, it isnt overclocked or anything like that

You know, I had a similar problem after applying that fix in windows 2000, service pack 3 fixed it however. Maybe applying a service pack to your XP install might fix it as well? Be careful with it though, XP SP1 did me more harm than good when I tried it.
Ok, thnks.
But where do I get SP3 from? I have SP1 for XP on CD, but not SP3. (I'm running XP Pro)

Last edited:
OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

You get SP3 from Microsoft BUT it is only for Win2k and not XP.
:cry: Is there a chance it would work on XP? Or should I just get SP1 and see wat happens?
Also, is ther a way to "undo" the patch, because I can live without GTA3- If I got other games^_^

Trotterwatch

It won't work on XP.

I believe you can remove XP patches by going into Add/Remove programs. It is worth trying Service pack 1 anyways if it isn't already installed (it will even offer to back up all old files just in case it makes it worse).

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

The service pack on my CD doesnt say that it is for WinXP PRO. It just says "Windows XP SP1 & Internet Explorer 6 SP1". I think that is a security patch for XP home- that was fixed in XP PRO.
Is this the rite patch for me, or should I just dload the one from M$'s website?

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Ok, new plan...
I think the new nVidia drivers fixed the problem in MaxPayne, but UT2K3 is still buggy- thats 'cos it's the demo, did I forget to mention that?:blush:
Anyway, the readme for the demo says that there are known problems with my card and the 40.41 drivers. The work around is to use the old 30.82 drivers as well as using 16bit.
So rite now I'm dloading the 30.82 to see if it works.
Thnks 4 all the help everyone:happy:

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Strange,
Maybe 'cos I installed XP over '98. Also, did you install the Q306676 patch. I had to install for GTA3, which started messing up my graphics in UT2K3, even after I uninstalled them:geek:

cooliscoo

EmuTalk Member
0N1 L1nK said:
Strange,
Maybe 'cos I installed XP over '98. Also, did you install the Q306676 patch. I had to install for GTA3, which started messing up my graphics in UT2K3, even after I uninstalled them:geek:

DX9, no other patches installed. Must be something else. I'd defenitely suggest doing a fresh install of XP.

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

DX9, no other patches installed. Must be something else. I'd defenitely suggest doing a fresh install of XP.
DX9 huh, that maybe something to consider dloading- I'm still on 8.1 which came with XP. But it's kinda large, esp. 4 a 56k. I was thinking of doing a fresh install- but I think I'll try using the 30.82's to try to narrow down the problem.
ty

OP
0N1 L1nK

0N1 L1nK

Ok, I tried DX9 and the 41.90's and that just delayed the time it took for the artifacts to show up. So now I'm going do to a reformat and reinstall XP. Wish me luck:D