What's new

Emulators and the plugins sub-directory "PLUGIN"...

JerryKing

Apparently, the default location of plugins for most N64 emulators is a directory named "Plugin" placed in the directory where the emulator is located - and since most emulators can use the same plugins, it's only natural, I think, that I want to keep all the plugins inside that single directory... why, then, do some emus have to use *another* directory by default? There's no problem when it's definable, but sometimes the emulator has a fixed, coded-in location where it looks. Some time ago, I added a certain emulator to my directory with N64 emulators. Of course, as I said, I keep all the plugins in a "Plugin" subdirectory there... but this emulator used the directory "Plugins", and had it hard-coded :\ I had to unpack it, change the string "plugins\" inside to "plugin\", and repack it... all that was mildly annoying. Can't the "Plugin" sub-dir be a universal, agreed-upon plugin location for all N64 emus using plugins?

Remote

I can see why you would like to do this but isn't it easier to keep several dirs with plugins since not all plugins are compatible with all emus and vice versa... And if you have the skills yourself why not do the changes yourself... The sources for Pj64 and 1964 are laying there waiting for you...

Slougi

Doomulation said:
Pj and 1964 supports alternate path to roms. Some other emulators does as well. Use it! I do...
Doom, if you had actually _read_ his post, you would know that he _does_ use that feature when it is available...:saint:
Enough spam >_<

The problem with the plugin path standard is that these are not official products, and there are no programming guidelines available (well, apart from zilmar spec plugins). So it is up to the emu coders to implement such things as they see fit. As you can see most recent emus allow you to change the plugin path, so there is a trend toward interoperability.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Slougi said:
Doom, if you had actually _read_ his post, you would know that he _does_ use that feature when it is available...:saint:
Enough spam >_<
No, I can't see that. But whatever, it isn't important.