What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Mario kart 64 High res topic

Weatherton

I have finished the kart frame, I should be able to work more on making the MagicKoopa model tomorrow... hopefully some people step up to add additional high res textures.... plust, I wouldn't mind if the highres. road textures had smaller bumps on them...

Nin_10_Dough

Too bad the Mario Kart R title screen seems to be cropped at the bottom. Would have been cool if someone tried to recreate it.

Weatherton

jdsony, nice link on the changes... they're missing a few subtle ones though. For example, the boost sound when getting a turbo start is missing from the Japanese game...

Exodia11, excellent find, I see Magikoopa in several of those pictures! But we don't have an upclose pic of him in game yet :(... I actually am still uncertain of the color of his kart (I think Nin_10_Dough's pic is still the best view of him so far).

Weatherton

MagiKoopa Kart, in progress shot

Well, I'm getting near the end of development on the kart itself, I'll need to move onto making MagiKoopa soon....

3dsMAX_MagikartRender3-19-2005.jpg

I'm going with a gold color for the kart since he's such a magical guy :p

Weatherton

Finished MagicKoopa, time to get him in!

I decided to go with the simple 3D magicKoopa model from Mario RPG so I could finish him up quickly and try to get him in the game ASAP.... here he is:
3dsMAX_MagikartRender3-19-2005_2.jpg

My main problem now is that I'm not sure how to get a conclusive set of animated pictures of Yoshi... plus the frames are all made up of two parts, the head and the kart... kind of a bummer that it's like that... any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Weatherton said:
I decided to go with the simple 3D magicKoopa model from Mario RPG so I could finish him up quickly and try to get him in the game ASAP.... here he is:
3dsMAX_MagikartRender3-19-2005_2.jpg

My main problem now is that I'm not sure how to get a conclusive set of animated pictures of Yoshi... plus the frames are all made up of two parts, the head and the kart... kind of a bummer that it's like that... any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
I'm impressed about your 3D modeling skills. The kart is really awesome!! :) I wish I had that level of knowledge to improve those annoying Pokémon in SSB :(

Btw, if you have problems with splitted images, I suggest you work on a single image (instead of the two parts), make two copies, and crop them (one with the top part and the other with the bottom part). The crop tool is available in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro and similar products. Also, if you have lots of images, try to batch-process the separation tasks.

Weatherton

eww

"Also, if you have lots of images, try to batch-process the separation tasks." I was planning to use photoshop to split up the images but I don't know how to do this batch processing cropping that you mentioned... could you explain that in further detail please? Thanks!

Weatherton

help please

I need some help, I tried putting in one of the frames in the high res folder as usual but it didn't show up in the game... here is the file I replaced:

Mario%20Kart%2064%230C759BC1%232%231_ci.bmp

I replaced it with a 4X larger picture of MagiKoopa:

MagiKoopa_backview_crop.bmp

but it didn't show up in the game! What am I doing wrong? Can anyone else get the picture to show up? :down:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Weatherton said:
"Also, if you have lots of images, try to batch-process the separation tasks." I was planning to use photoshop to split up the images but I don't know how to do this batch processing cropping that you mentioned... could you explain that in further detail please? Thanks!
Sorry, I don't have Photoshop, so I cannot explain exactly how to do on it. :( Anyways, I found two URLs that might help you:
http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/GettingStartedPS.html
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/digitalphotography/l/blps_batch.htm
Note that the scripts I mentioned before are called Actions in Photoshop.

Weatherton

_pm_, thanks for the links; I will look at those... As for the moment, I can't figure out how these kart textures work, I simply can't replace them... maybe I'm missing an alpha layer or something? I don't really understand. I am able to replace other textures that are the same size, just not characters :yucky:

LR_Stands_Textured.jpg

I need help :(

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Weatherton said:
_pm_, thanks for the links; I will look at those... As for the moment, I can't figure out how these kart textures work, I simply can't replace them... maybe I'm missing an alpha layer or something? I don't really understand. I am able to replace other textures that are the same size, just not characters :yucky:
If the textures you mentioned were dumped in xxxx_all.png and xxxx_rgb.png but no xxxx_a.png, try replacing the _rgb file instead of the _all. Also, remember that both _rgb and _all files shouldn't be together in your hires_texture folder. Hope that helps.

Weatherton

hmm... mario kart 64 doesn't seem to have that naming system... it seems very haphazard ... I tried just modifying (putting the magikoopa render at 64X32 resolution over top of the in game one so it had the same filesetup) DK's rear bottom image and got a result, but it wasn't pretty:

LR_DK_Textured.jpg

Dejital

That's funny... This is what I got.
(Yes, it's absolutely transparent.)

Edit: Another weird test.

Last edited:

Weatherton

btw, I just went through my mario kart 64 folder and found 222 images of yoshi animation... and I'm not even sure if I got them all; is there some way for me to specifically seek out certain animations? Finding this stuff is difficult! (and replacing it so far has remained impossible for me :( )

Edit: Dejital, how did you get that result? Could you please describe the process you went through? Thanks.

Last edited:

Dejital

The process I went through was simple.
The first one was simply a copy and paste into place of the Yoshi kart (using the same palette; 4x size).
The second one was the same, just with a palette changed to fit the new kart (4x size).

This is a third one with the same size as the Yoshi one, which worked out pretty much the same as the second.